Christmas

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
kennyt

Christmas

Post by kennyt »

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help, looking for a copy of "The very first Christmas of All" would love to play this on my show on Saturday, Christmas Eve, but drawn a blank in my searches. CD, or MP3 would be great,
Many Thanks
A Merry Christmas and a peaceful 2006 to all.

Bernie Burgess

Very First Christmas

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Kennyt,

Re; your enquiry regarding 'The Very First Christmas Of All'

To celebrate Ruby's 5 hits in the Charts at the same time, 50 years ago, E.M.I released a 4CD boxed set called RUBY MURRAY Anthology 'A GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY RELEASE. It contains 100 of Ruby's tracks and amongst them is the title that you are looking for.

So pleased that you are using it on your broadcast- don't let it be the only track that you play an your programmes.

Wishing you A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Bernie Burgess

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I heard Ruby's 'Christmastime In Ireland' played on Saga Radio a couple of days ago on David Hamilton's morning programme. I'm sure that's the first time I've ever heard that played on the radio. I noticed today that it's on a new various artists CD compilation of Christmas records, so I suspect that's where they picked it up from.

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

How many records did Ruby make that are about Christmas, or make reference to Christmas? You are allowed one entry per person, to give more people a chance to reply!

We already have:

1. The Very First Christmas Of All
2. Christmastime In Ireland

Please continue the numbering with your replies. Good Luck.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

"Christmas In Killarney"
Regards
John.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

4. The Little Pine Tree.
Happy Christmas to one and all!
John from Norfolk.

John Harkness

Christmas

Post by John Harkness »

My very favourite of all. "Silent Night"

Merry Christmas to you all

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

So we are up to five then:

1. The Very First Christmas Of All
2. Christmastime In Ireland
3. Christmas in Killarney
4. Little Pine Tree
5. Silent Night

I can't think of any others, but if anyone spots even a casual reference, do let us know.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I'm sure there aren't any others, but one of Ruby's songs from 'Irish And Proud Of It', 'Miss O'Leary's Irish Fruit Cake' was later recorded by Clinton Ford as 'Miss Hooligan's Christmas Cake'. Most of the lyrics (and the ingredients of the cake) are the same, but the composer is given as 'Melville' (it was given as 'Taylor, Kramer & Altman' on Ruby's record).

Much later Ruby and Clinton toured together (see photograph posted in December 2004) and it would have made an interesting duet if their appearances had been around Christmas time.

Well I don't know whether Miss Hooligan stole the recipe from Miss O'Leary or vice versa ... but send me a slice each ladies and I won't report either of you to the Music Publishers Association.

Brian[/i]