Yet Another New CD

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Yet Another New CD

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have just spotted on the HMV website another new CD by Ruby - this one is innovatively called "Softly, Softly". It is on the XTRA label, due for release next month, and the track listing appears to be another re-arrangement of old favourites:

1. Softly Softly

2. What Could Be More Beautiful?

3. Heartbeat

4. He's A Pal Of Mine

5. Happy Days & Lonely Nights

6. I'll Come When You Call

7. Evermore

8. Bambino

9. Let Me Go Lover

10. The Mountains Of Mourne

11. Galway Bay

12. Before We Know It

13. If Anyone Finds This, I Love You

14. Dear Old Donegal

15. How Can You Buy Killarney?

16. When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

17. It's A Great Day For The Irish

18. If You're Irish, Come Into The Parlour

19. Phil The Fluter's Ball

20. An Irish Lullaby

21. Danny Boy
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Yet Another New C.D.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

I am completely mystified by your news. If this new C.D. is on a label that turns out to be a subsidiary of E.M.I. how can they allow it to come out in opposition to the Golden Anniversary release?

I never did get a reply to my enquiry in connection with airplay. It's the age old problem, if the tracks are not heard on the airwaves and no pulicity is evident, how are the record buying public to know that such a release is on sale. It has always baffled me.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

mal macleod

Post by mal macleod »

Hello Gerald
Strange about EMI and CD releases. But that is not why I am posting this. I want to say thanks for the excellent job that you have done on the website. What a surprise when I signed in this morning. The new layout is excellent - eyecatching and up to date and using the CD covers is a great idea and will bring them to the attention of anyone who might 'stray' on to the site.
You are doing a marvellous job and although I dont often make contact I regularly look up the site and appreciate all the work that goes into it and of course enjoy reading all the news and views expressed there.
Thanks again,
Mal Macleod

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you for your kind words, Mal.
Gerald

TheIrishInMe

Post by TheIrishInMe »

It's another out of copyright release. Nothing to do with EMI.

rbl.ca

New "Softly Softly" CD

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello, everyone.

I just received this new CD, having won it on eBay.UK. I got it mainly for tracks 17 to 20, which I didn't have yet.

I must say that several of the tracks are very inferior to those on EMI CDs. Fortunately, the 4 tracks I wanted are very good, but I wouldn't recommend this CD to anyone.

Best wishes.
Ralph

Gerald Lawrence

Hi Ralph, if you would still like an EMI CD with those tracks on, you can still buy the double album, which is shown in the centre on our home page, and referred to as the 2 on 1 Album. It is a combining of the two LPs "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" and "Irish And Proud Of It", currently for sale on Amazon for example. Quality is excellent.

Amazon, by the way, are also showing a CD not yet available, from Hallmark and called "Heartbeat". We can probably guess which titles will be on it!

Part of me is sad that these CD labels are jumping on the copyright release bandwagon, particularly if there are quality problems, but there is nothing we can do about it anyway. The other part of me is pleased that so many CD albums with Ruby's name and picture on the front are becoming available - it could generate renewed interest in her recordings.
Gerald

rbl.ca

2 on 1 ALBUM

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, Gerald.
Thanks for the advice. I will try to obtain the 2 on 1 Album.

I am also trying to get a Change Your Mind CD, but haven't seen it yet on eBay. I'll have to try Amazon for that one, too.

I did win THE SPINNING WHEEL LP on eBay.UK, and should get it next week.
:oops: :shock:

Best regards.
Ralph

Brian Henson

Recent CD releases

Post by Brian Henson »

I couldn't see the Cover of the recent Xtra label CD (Softly Softly) in the library, so I've just uploaded it for future reference - together with two other recent CD releases.

:mrgreen: Don't you know that today's March 17 :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: It's the day for the wearing of the green
:mrgreen:

Brian

TheIrishInMe

Post by TheIrishInMe »

At least all Ruby's early recordings have already been on CD, so these companies will be just going over old ground, rather than issuing unreleased tracks in bad quality.