Title of Song?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
johnsheff1

Title of Song?

Post by johnsheff1 »

Help please! I am looking for the title of a song that Ruby may have sung. The first lines are: "On a cold winter's morning the snow was fast falling"
Many Thanks

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Title of Song?

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well you have got me puzzled on that one!

Maybe someone else can help this time.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi John,

Please can you give us some more information?

Martin

tommymackay

Post by tommymackay »

Dear John

I joined the Ruby Murray Official Site after many years of searching for the song you have referred to, and apart from yourself I have never found any reference to it or to anyone who has ever heard of it. (As it happens, we were always Ruby Murray fans anyway, and I grew up to the strains of my sister singing 'Softly, softly' and 'Let me go, lover', and also attended Ruby Murray's last ever concert in Glasgow - so I didn't feel that I was joining the site on false pretences, and I'll stay a member anyway!)

I first saw your 23 February 2011 post which referred to a song with the words 'On a cold winter's morning the snow was fast falling'. I found this after years of typing in these words (including the alternative of a winter's 'evening', since I couldn't be sure which it was) to a Google search with no outcomes, until at last I found your enquiry. I was about to reply to say that the song was (a) not a Ruby Murray song and (b) that it was called 'Remember your mother', when I then found that on 25 January 2011 you had already started by asking about the title - and understandably it was confused with a more well-known song of that name.

The sad reality is that I heard this song when a girl played it to me sometime in the late 1960's on a '78 that was already probably pretty old (I think it was her father's). I loved the song and asked to borrow the record, but unfortunately in these heady youthful days I had laid it in the back of my car and probably somebody sat on it. I found broken bits of bakelite, and for some time I kept the bit with the identifying details on it, but eventually that got lost. It's haunted me ever since, and the melody still rings in my mind. I've searched everywhere for it, including sites like Spotify, which has so many ancient gems on it, with no success.

The version I had was very definitively Country and Western - possibly a fairly mainstream Tennessee sound, without a deep south drawl. I have a vague memory of picturing two cowboys singing it, but I may be wrong.

If you have any other detail you can remember about it, however minute, I'd be glad to hear from you. I searched for another song for over 40 years - a friend had played it to me when I was 16 and then he lost it, and I finally found it, and I hope to do the same with 'Remember Your Mother'.

Best wishes

Tommy MacKay

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Have you guys tried youtube? They have a lot of old songs.