Contact from BBC2

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Contact from BBC2

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hell Friends,
Yesterday I was contacted by an assistant producer from BBC2. When I asked her how she found me I was delighted by her reply - "The Ruby Murray website". The lady was asking if I would be interviewed over the telephone to give my views on the popularity of 1950s seaside shows. She had come across a photo of a poster for a Blackpool show and she was not sure where it was for. I was able to tell her that it was The North Pier Pavilion Theatre and the show was the Bernard Delfont presentation featuring Ruby. Tommy Cooper and Ken PLatt. The programme will be presented by Melvin Bragg and it is scheduled for transmission toward the end of the year. I was able to chat to her in detail about the many seaside resorts around the country but I got the impression that Blackpool was the resort that she was interested in. I managed to send her numerous photos of not only the North Pier but Sunday concerts at The Opera House etc etc.

If I get more information I will post it.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Contact from BBC2

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Good stuff Bernie! I shall look forward to seeing your contributions in the fullness of time.
Let us hope that the interest from the BBC in Blackpool leads to a special interest in Ruby herself, and that we get the long awaited programme on national UK Television.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Great news Bernie.

Have you told her that Blackpool was where you and Ruby met and got married?

Best wishes.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Martin.

Yes I did - in fact I sent them the photo that was taken backstage on the wedding day, where Ruby and I were cutting the wedding cake. Plus the shots of the advertising placards at the top of the pier. I doubt if they will use the wedding cake shot because they are filming about the popularity of 50s shows at the seaside, not weddings. I also sent them photos of the programme at The North Pier and other stars that were featured in Sunday Concerts at The Opera House Theatre - they might use those.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Well I hope something good comes of this or if a clip of Ruby singing could be used for illustrative purposes etc.