Mission Accomplished

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Mission Accomplished

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello 'Friends'

I have just returned from my trip to the U.K. and can now report - 'Mission Accomplished'. There were one or two problems that needed urgent attention which I'm pleased to say have now been solved. I took a series of photographs including at the Crematorium, Ruby's apartment in the harbour area, the Residential/Nursing Home, Babbcombe Downs and Babbacombe Bay. Hopefully the little story that I have written, together with the photos that I took, will enable 'Friends' to familiarize themselves with the various sites in Torquay where Ruby and I used to frequent.. Read on...

I knew when I started out on my mission to the Crematorium that the grave would be in desperate need of attention and there was a strong possibility that the stonemason still hadn't re-painted the white lettering on the marble plinth as I had repeatedly asked him to do. I arrived at the graveside to discover that he had at long last done the job, perhaps because prior to departing I did ring to pressurise him before I left saying that I was flying in to Exeter on a special mission to the Crematorium and stressed that I hoped that he wouldn't allow me to waste a return flight to the U.K. only to find that he hadn't done the job. The rest of the scene was quite sad, the grass had grown over the edges and the problematic conifer tree had now been 'topped' out by someone but it looked a mess. I went down on all fours and started to 'clean up' and looked up to see a lady returning to her car in the car park after attending to a grave, we exchanged "Good Mornings" and she drove off. Two minutes later a maintenance man arrived and told me, in no uncertain terms, "You can't plant that tree there" It became evident that the lady, who had just departed, had told the maintenance man that I was planting a tree. I explained to the man that I hadn't planted the tree and that it had been there for at least a year, or even more. He said that he "hadn't noticed it before" Strange that because it was at least a meter high, if not more, but in fact it had been 'topped out' plus the fact that it was the only conifer tree there. I further explained that it would most likely have been planted by one of Ruby's fans, or a very kind 'well wisher'. The man was adamant, the tree must go. He asked if I was the closest relative and I confirmed that I was. Whereupon he asked if I would give permission for him to remove the tree. I further explained that for some considerable time I personally had been quite concerned about the tree for fear that it's roots would eventually spread underneath Ruby's marble plinth and, even worse, it would threaten the interred ashes in the grave behind Ruby's. I confirmed that as far as I was concerned he could remove the tree BUT I explained, the person who planted the tree would more than likely be very upset. Now that I had given him my consent he went off to consult with his boss and when they both retuned I had to repeat the story to him. They both set about the task of uprooting the tree and quite naturally the roots were well set and very difficult to uproot. I was quite concerned in case they disturbed Ruby's marble plinth by the way they were struggling to uproot the tree but with the aid of a jagged knife that I had borrowed from the owner of the Guest House where I was staying they eventually uprooted the conifer tree.

I temporarily left the scene to go to B&Q to buy some loose white stone chippings and on to a supermarket to buy yet another pair of scissors because I was obviously not allowed to bring such an item through security. I looked around the various shops in the area and found some very nice red roses and then headed back to the Crematorium. With the aid of a length of battening and a paint stripper, once again borrowed from the owner of the Guest House, I managed to cut straight lines around the plinth and left a gap of around two inches to be filled in by the white stone chippings. I had spent nearly all day on this mission but when I had completed the task I felt highly satisfied with the end result. I took a series of photos and departed clinging to the hope that the authorities at the Crematorium would not object to the white chippings surrounding the grave, only time will tell.

My return flight was not until two days later so I had time on my hands. With this in mind I decided to take a nostalgic trip around Torquay and Babbacombe to see some of the places that Ruby and I shared together. My first stop was the Harbour side apartment where Ruby spent her final years. I took some shots from outside Ruby's apartment coupled with the view that she enjoyed looking out of her windows to see and enjoy. Across the harbour one can still see The Pavilion Theatre where Ruby starred in a record breaking pantomime run in a production of 'Cinderella'. I appeared in the show with her playing rather an odd part as a Leprechaun, a kind of go between to Cinderella and her Fairy Godmother. The comedian Derek Roy starred as 'Buttons', a part that he was renowned for. I don't know whether the box office record still stands but it was 50 plus years ago so that is doubtful. 'Fings Ain't Wot They Used To Be' and the old Pavilion Theatre is now a shopping precinct but the exterior remains the same - The interior of the old theatre, the auditorium, is now full of modern day shops and a central elevator leads up to where the Circle would have been which now has a very comfortable Cafeteria where Ruby and I spent a very nostalgic hour or so with the vibes of the old Pavilion Theatre very much in evidence, - Happy Memories.

From the Harbour I drove up the Babbacombe Road to see again the Residential-Nursing Home where I visited Ruby on so many occasions. I didn't stay too long looking at 'Aspreys' as it was becoming a little too painful. From there I drove on to Babbacombe to see once more the sights that both Ruby and I enjoyed so much - Babbacombe Downs and Babbacombe Bay. Ruby didn't ever play the Babbacombe Theatre but I couldn't resist taking some shots of it whilst I was there. I noticed that, like most theatre venues these days, there is no summer season show, only one niters and on the hoardings outside I saw a few familiar names i.e. Jimmy Tarbuck. Cannon & Ball, and a bill with three comedians on - Duncan Norvelle, Ian 'Sludge' Lees and Frank Carson. I stayed around Babbacombe for quite a while soaking up the memories. I am pleased that I was able to make the trip, it meant so very much to me.

I hope that readers will find something of interest in my little story of - 'Mission Accomplished'

My very best wishes to everyone,

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: Mission Accomplished

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks Bernie for such a personal account of your visit to Torquay. I found it all very interesting. I am sure it was a bitter sweet few days for you what with all the memories, both happy and not so happy and your extra few days retracing your and Ruby's footsteps. Lots of time to ponder and reflect. I wonder who is living in Ruby's old flat now and if they realise that it was once occupied by a successful and famous singing star?

I am glad you got Ruby's grave tidied up. I am sure the white chippings look very nice around the stone. I have seen many like that here in Manchester and they do look nice. I am sure the kind person who planted the tree on Ruby's grave will understand that it had to be removed, although it was very kind of them to plant it. I wonder who it was? At the risk of sounding disrespectful, I also wonder if Ruby had a chuckle from on high watching all of the antics of the uprooting of the tree? She did have such a lovely sense of humour may she rest in peace.

Best wishes.

Martin

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

You clearly had a very useful couple of days, and as has been said, some of the hours spent there must have been a bit painful for you, but others brought back happy memories. I am not sure what will happen about our Library, but I have the photos all ready to upload should that become possible. I can confirm however that you have done a good job in cleaning up the grass round the memorial stone, and that the lettering looks pristine once more.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Recently I was contacted by Jack Crichton, he was at one time a doctor in the R.A.F. and was in a brief relationship with Ruby before I met her. He very kindly went to visit Ruby's resting place and sent me a photo of the grave. I was somewhat dismayed by the fact that the Crematorium staff had chosen to remove the decorative white marble stone chppings that I purchased and carefully placed surrounding the grave. At the time I was pleased with the overall effect of my endeavours and came away feeling that I had transformed the area into a place that looked neat, tidy and well care for.

Jack's photo tells a different story and now the grass edges are encroaching once again over the edges of the marble plinth which is rather disappointing. I can only guess that their reason for removing the decorative chippings is that they consider them to be a hazard to their lawn mower, despite the fact that I carefully arranged them so that they would be below the level of the grass edges. I can only take satisfaction that when I left the graveside I had accomplished my mission of making the site look acceptable to anyone who viewed the area.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

How are you? I remember the name Jack Crichton from Ruby's biography. I trust he is keeping well? He must be quite an age now.

I am sorry to hear about the sad state of Ruby's grave, especially after all of your hard work when you visited. Funny how the cemetery authorities didn't notice a delapidated tree that could have affected other graves nearby but take issue with a small row of stones. Typical jobs-worths!

Best wishes.

Martin.

Gerald, looking forward to you working your usual magic on the home screen for Christmas!;-)

Gerald Lawrence

MARTIN FOSTER wrote:Gerald, looking forward to you working your usual magic on the home screen for Christmas!;-)
Thank you Martin, but until Timmer responds to my requests for a new name and password, I regret that I am unable to make the changes.

I will keep trying to contact him.

By the way, I am not ignoring Bernie's post, I have already commented much the same as you have in reply to an email which he sent me containing the same information.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thank you Gerald for your hard work. Hope you and Rosemary are well.

Martin. :-)

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I am pleased to report that Gerald has now heard from Timmer. Happily he is fit and well and will now complete his 'tweaking' of the faulty files i.e. the 'Library'. It's quite a relief to learn that Timmer is well, we were beginning to think that there was something wrong with his health. Presumably Gerald will soon be able to change the home page to a wintery scene and I will be able to complete the story in connection with my mission to Ruby's resting place by uploading the applicable photos - courtesy of Gerald.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Happily Gerald has had contact with Timmer and as a result he was able to change the home page back to the wintery scene. Hopefully Timmer will now be able to complete his 'Tweaking' to the slumbering 'Library' which will then allow me to attach the promised photos that were taken on my mission to her resting place.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks to Gerald, the photos that I took on my last 'mission' to the crematorium have now been uploaded in the recently repaired Library. From memory I think they are more or less in the order that marries up to the story, I will check again later. When the time comes when I look into the technical ways of uploading photos myself I will no doubt be able to add to the list, in the meantime I hope that you will look them up, match them and enjoy seeing them.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Glad to be of assistance, and the photos are all very nice - they remind me of my trip to Torquay with you a few years ago.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Nice photos Bernie. Ruby's grave looks lovely with the roses and white stones and it's a vast improvement without the tree.

I was particularly interested in the photos of Ruby's apartment. Especially the window Ruby would spend time looking out from at the view below. I wonder if the current occupants realise a major star used to live in their flat?

Best wishes.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Unfortunately I cannot carry out another 'mission' to the Crematorium on Ruby's birthdate on March 29th. I usually fly via flybe but it looks as though they have cut back on the flights between Alicante and Exeter (the nearest airport) and instead of flying in and out, as I usually do, I would have to make it a 3 or even 4 day stay and the flight from Alicante to Exeter gets there quite late at night and it would be a scramble to get from Exeter to the hotel in Torquay late at night. Although I considered it, I cannot go on asking my Guardian Angel from the flybe Customers Relation desk to carry out even more 'favours', I have already used her services far too frequently, despite the fact that she is a very kind hearted young lady who is extremely helpful and willing to assist. All is not lost, I have managed to contact an Interflora shop in Torquay and I am arranging for them to deliver a dozen roses. They have informed me that they will telephone me this afternoon to finalise details, in which case I will politely ask if the person who delivers the roses could take something with him so that a clean up operation can take place.

I may have posted the fact that the white marble chippings that I so carefully purchased and arranged around all four sides of the marble plinth have been removed. This is very disappointing but rule are rules and if they allowed me to do this they would have to agree to allow everyone else to carry out the same operation, - pity because the overall effect was very effective.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

That is a shame about the white stones as they did look lovely but these rules are common in all cemetaries unfortunately.

I am sure the roses will look lovely though.

Best wishes.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

A change of plan for March 29th. - our son Tim is making himself available to drive from Wales, where he is now living, and he will undertake my mission for me. I just hope that the weather is not too bad and that the roads will be dry for his trek. This means that he will also carry out a clean up operation which I am sure will be required by now. It's such a pity that the management of the Crematorium will not allow white chippings to be used around the marble plinth because it looked brilliant when I placed them there but rules are rules. Tim has also arranged to take some photos for me which I am most grateful to him for.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.