Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
David

Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Post by David »

This is wonderful news. I have always wanted to visit Ireland, and this would be a perfect reason to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot make it over there at that time, but on the big day I will be thinking of Ruby and the ceremony and all of you who will be there.

Gerald Lawrence

Plaque Unveiling

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

We now have a few more details about this important event.

The Lord Mayor of Belfast, Mr Wallace Brown, will carry out the ceremony at 2.30 pm on 29th March, assisted by Bernie Burgess. Tim Murray will be present and has agreed to sing a medley of Ruby's songs, and Julie Burgess will also be there. We are also hoping that Ruby's great friend Marie Cunningham will be well enough to join us. There will be a display of photographs and other memorabilia, and of course, Ruby's voice will be heard singing from her collection of CDs.

We are all looking forward very much to this great occasion, and so I urge everyone to see if they can make it to Belfast to join in with us. Please see Bernie's other posting, which asks you to let him know if you are going.
Gerald

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

I am sorry, but I very much regret that I shan't be able to come over to Belfast for the unveiling after all:-
Since November I have been replacing the German teacher at a local Sixth Form College, and have just heard that she will not be able to come back until well after Easter.
As my work here is all compressed into three days, viz. Tues., Wed. and Thurs., and those are precisely the days that I should have to be away, and as it will be the last week before the Easter break (the next week would have been fine!), I obviously cannot let the students down at such an important time just before their exams.
I am so disappointed, but hope I shall be able to go over to Northern Ireland and see the plaque in the not-too-distant future. It would have been so nice to see Bernie, Tim and Julie again, not to mention all the others whose names have become so familiar to me over the past few months.
I'll make contact again before the great day, to wish you all well, but thought I should let you know as soon as possible (I only heard today) what the situation unfortunately is.
With my kindest regards all round,
John from Norfolk.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Please disregard yesterday's message, as I have today made arrangements which I think will allow me to come after all, though it will be a flying visit (literally!), arriving in Belfast mid-morning, and having to leave early evening all on the same day (the Golden Anniversary of Ruby's 21st Birthday!).
In great haste - more later.....
John H.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Report from Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Telegraph Home > Lifestyle > Music

City to honour Ruby Murray

By Eddie McIlwaine

23 February 2006
A plaque celebrating the life and songs of the late Ruby Murray is to be unveiled at the Ulster Hall on Wednesday, March 29, which would have been her 71st birthday.

The ceremony will be performed by Lord Mayor Wallace Browne, a lifelong fan of Ruby, who died in 1996 aged only 61.

There too will be her son Tim, a cabaret singer, who will perform Softly Softly, the song always associated with his mother and her biggest hit.

He will be accompanied by his father, Ruby's first husband Bernie Burgess, once of the Jones Boys and who has been campaigning for years for Ruby's accomplishments to be recognised in her home town.

The plaque will refer to "the girl who was blessed with a beautiful singing voice." Reference will also be made to the fact that Ruby once had five hits in the UK charts at the same time - a record that has never been broken.

Actress Julia Dearden will also be at the ceremony and read extracts from the Marie Jones play Ruby, about her turbulent life.

Ruby, born in Benburb Street, off the Donegall Road, was described by Frank Sinatra as one of the best pop singers he had listened to.

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you for that, Sandy. Nice to know the publicity has started well in advance of the ceremony. Although she wasn't born in Benburb Street, but Moltke Street - he will have to read my little story about the visit to Belfast.

It's getting quite exciting now!
Gerald

Aaron2006

See Belfast Live Web Cam

Post by Aaron2006 »

If you want to check on the weather live over here in Belfast, then go to this website which allows you to see a live picture and near stream video of a webcam which is mounted on the front of the City Hall.

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/webcam/index.asp

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I find it incredible that for the very first time a single topic is approaching a four figure viewing number. This morning it stands at 941 and hopefully before the actual date of unveiling it might pass the 1000 mark. I couldn't be more delighted.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

You have had your wish, Bernie - 1039 and counting!

I wonder what it will reach before the Grand Unveiling?
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I had quite an interesting time doing the interview on the local radio show on the 17th.
I arrived 15 mins. before the show went on air so that I could chat to the presenter, a Liverpudlian called Vince Tracey. I immediately asked if he would be sure to play Ruby's 'Great Day for the Irish' seeing as it was St. Patrick's Day.

He played MacNamara's Band and of course 'Softly Softly'. I was surprised when he announced that he was planning to do radio link-up with me in Belfast on the unveiling day. Naturally I told him that there would be another broadcasting member with me - Gerald. Watch out Gerald, you could well get roped into the interview. He also gave my book a mention when I told him that I hoped to have some rushed copies with me in Belfast.

I wish it could have been on television because Vince was dressed all in green and had the most amazing Irish hat on. He even managed to do a little Irish River Dancing in between items on the show in his enclosed studio, whilst I watched open mouthed through the glass partition The listeners had no idea what they were missing.

I suppose his Liverpool background adds to his liking for the Irish. He certainly does Ruby proud on his programming.

For those members who are planning to be at the unveiling - see you there

Adios Amigos. Seamus O'Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: See Belfast Live Web Cam

Aaron2006 wrote:If you want to check on the weather live over here in Belfast, then go to this website which allows you to see a live picture and near stream video of a webcam which is mounted on the front of the City Hall.

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/webcam/index.asp
Thank you for that link, Aaron. It has just occurred to me, after reading the words at the bottom of the camera picture, that as City Hall is not far from Ulster Hall, those of us who make the trip over could arrange to "pose" in front of the camera, by the gates. This would not be so much for boosting our egos, as to share the Belfast experience with those who would love to have been there, but unfortunately can't make it. If it were me at home, it would make me feel much closer to the unveiling event.

Anybody agree? If so, perhaps you would like to suggest a suitable time (GMT) for this to take place.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

What a great idea. It would be like going back to the days of Poly Fotos with the pauses in between, with kind of 'what the butler saw' intermittent shots. What can we wave - white handkerchiefs? It conjures up pictures in the mind doesn't it? Do you think I should bring stage make-up for us all? I assume everyone realizes that we need to have our Equity Cards with us if we are performing outside City Hall with cameras trained onto us.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

The Belfast cam

Post by Brian Henson »

A great idea, indeed. But whatever time you choose, be sure it's daylight. I just looked in at 8pm and the image is too dark to pick out any detail.

I did a similar pre-arranged pose a couple of years ago on Broadway during a trip to NY, and was viewed in 3 different countries. It's possible for the viewer to do a print screen too, so there were pics of me to see when I arrived home of the time I starred on Broadway :lol:

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Re: The Belfast cam

Brian Henson wrote:A great idea, indeed. But whatever time you choose, be sure it's daylight. I just looked in at 8pm and the image is too dark to pick out any detail.

I did a similar pre-arranged pose a couple of years ago on Broadway during a trip to NY, and was viewed in 3 different countries. It's possible for the viewer to do a print screen too, so there were pics of me to see when I arrived home of the time I starred on Broadway :lol:

Brian
Broadway would have been nice, but I will settle for Belfast this time!

I don't think we will be there at 8 pm, as there is quite a bit of celebrating to take place, and we don't want to delay that....
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

In connection with the suggested 'posing' at the gates of City Hall. Looking at the angle of the sun in relation to the position of the camera, it suggests that we should consider visiting the gates of City Hall sometime in the morning. I have just viewed the site (3-30pm local time) and the sun is very low down on the left side of the picture and we may have difficulty getting the sun on our faces. We can't have that can we, we need to have some light on our faces so that we can be recognized by everyone looking for us? I don't think we need to use any stage make-up though, the light isn't strong enough.

I have seen pedestrians walking on the inside of the gates, if we can also gain access it would make recognition so much easier. Seeing as the day's event is being arranged by members of the Belfast City Council we might even get permission from them to pose inside the gates, if permission is required?

A little forward planning???

Adios Amigos. Bernie.