Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I cannot comment on my speech, that is for others to do, but I must heap praise on to Gerald, once again, for his remarkable achievement with the technical side of the video posting. I have already spoken to him via the telephone, suggesting that he should become a television producer.

The way he has achieved the 'inserts', such as switching to other various shots, and back to the speech, is very effective indeed. The lyric and the musical intro to 'What Could Be More Beautiful' is particularly effective.

He has even cunningly concealed one or two places during the speech where he tells me that defects were evident. - "Not a lot of people know that"

Thanks once again Gerald, I sincerely hope that the 'viewers' will enjoy this remarkable piece of historic video as much as I do.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you Kathleen and Bernie for your kind comments - it is good to know that all the time spent working on the PC is appreciated!
Gerald

Sandy

Belfast - Bernie video

Post by Sandy »

Great job Gerald! Any more she says, cracking the whip?

Gerald Lawrence

Thanks Sandy. Yes there are a couple more, but if I don't finish this decorating I will be in trouble!

Watch this space!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

When this posting was made, a few months ago, I never dreamt that it would have viewing figures this high, it is rapidly approaching 6000 viewers. Long may it continue, who knows where the figure will end up.

If only a small proportion of those viewers took a minute or two to register, our numbers would swell enormously.

Salutations from Geneva,

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerald Lawrence

Tim and Julie singing at the ceremony

You may be wondering why I have brought this thread to the top again. Well, it is to let everyone know that I have now been able to post in the Video section of the Library the lovely tribute that Tim and Julie gave at the unveiling ceremony. We should remember that Tim and Julie were not just celebrating the memory of a famous singer - Ruby was after all their mother, and the day must have been quite emotional for them. This is quite apparent during parts of my video, when they sing a selection of Ruby's hit songs. But equally I defy anyone not to be moved when they listen to Ruby and Bernie's son and daughter singing Softly, Softly. For me, it brings back such wonderful memories of my own teenage years when I siezed every opportunity to listen to this lovely song being sung by my favourite singer.

There have been a few editorial problems, which I have done my best to get around. Firstly, the sound from the microphones was a little quiet and at times overcome by the backing instrumental. You may find you need to turn up the volume a bit. Secondly, the picture quality was affected by the bright window at the back, and I have made some adjustments to try to improve this. Finally, the press photographers kept getting in my way, and this accounts for the occasional change of picture, but I hope you find this has been done tastefully.

I do hope you all like this video, and I really would appreciate receiving your comments on it by means of a posting to this thread. Here is a direct link to the video - Tim and Julie song selection. Please note that it lasts about 6 minutes, so is quite a large file to download, and will take some time even on a broadband connection. Note: if you would like to save this file, just right click on the link and select Save Target As then put it wherever you wish on your computer.
Last edited by Gerald Lawrence on Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Gerald, I have just watched the marvellous video you have kindly put on for all of us who was unable to be there on the day, Thank You, You have done a great job with the filming which looked in very difficult circumstances. How fitting Tim started off with my song “Evermore” I almost choked when he sang it.

For anyone with Broadband it takes just under 1 minuet to download with a 2 MB speed. And the quality is superb. I am now going to find how to save it as it has downloaded into my temp folder, I am sure I will.

Thanks again Gerald it is great.
Regards
John.

spudmurph

plaque veiling confirmed

Post by spudmurph »

I have just watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, the video clip of Tim and Julie singing at the unveiling of Ruby's plaque. Thank you for posting it.
Kathleen Murphy

Bernie Burgess

post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

I have managed to watch about 35% and I am so frustrated that I am unable to see the rest of this historic video. I am hoping that Gerald will be able to tell me why my download only plays back about a third of the video then freezes and will not go further. What have I done wrong Gerald?

Seeing Tim and Julie together on stage is a sight that I have never seen before. The only time I have seen Julie on stage was when she was about 3yrs old. I had a piece of 8mm film of the occasion when Peter Goodwright spotted her in the audience during the 'songsheet' part of the pantomime 'Puss in Boots' at the Royalty Theatre in Chester. He brought Julie up on to the stage to take part in the song sheet. It was a precious piece of film but like the rest of my films it went missing under strange circumstances. Julie caught sight of me in the wings and stood pointing at me and smiling.

I do hope that Gerald will be able to come up with the answer as to why I am unable to view the whole video, I am looking forward to enjoying it. I am delighted with the part that I have viewed and bearing in mind that Gerald didn't have the best of conditions for doing any kind of filming the result is fantastic.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Bernie, if you have downloaded it from the link that Gerald put on, then try the other way by going into the library and choosing Video then download it again. Hope this works for you.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

The other thing to try is to right click and Save Target As...because this will download the whole file to your PC so that you can view it whenever you like. I believe you are not on broadband at the moment, so just left clicking on the link will start up Windows Media Player before it has all arrived, and this may be causing problems. Good Luck!

Thank you for the nice comments. I meant to say that it is not just praise I am looking for (although my ego does shine a bit!) but to get a discussion going on the various bits of it, which bit did you prefer, did you notice the Mayor singing along, were there other songs you would have liked to have Tim and Julie sing, all that sort of thing.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Once again, Gerald has come up trumps. Brilliantly done Gerald and thanks to your suggestion, and John's, I now have two complete copies which I have watch repeatedly ever since the successful downloads.

I must admit to getting very emotional whilst watching it, they both, Tim and Julie, did very well. Julie adding the harmonies, despite it being in a difficult key for her, causing her to sing well down the scale. As I always did for Ruby, I felt nervous for her. Tim's professionalism was great to watch, his years in the cabaret world stood him in good stead. Getting Julie to face him was a very good move, she concentrated on him which helped her tremendously.

The inserts were perfect Gerald and with such good timing too. I sincerely hope that many of our members will post their opinions and express their thanks to Gerald, he has done a wonderful job - AGAIN.

As Gerald says, please comment, even if it is by way of criticism, let us hear from you all, it does give encouragement to all concerned.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Well, no more comments received, so obviously nobody has anything to say. Still, this should make it 8000 downloads of this thread, so someone is still interested!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have had word from Belfast telling me that the Lord Mayor, the one who unveiled the commemorative plaque for Ruby - Councillor Wallace Brown, has been knighted, he is now Sir Wallace Brown. Whoever it was that recommended him for the honour had a good idea. For his contribution to the plaque project, if no-one had put his name forward - I would have done. He is one of us, a Ruby Murray fan.

Congratulations Sir Wallace.

Adios Amigos.

Gerald Lawrence

That is good news - and he sings "Softly, Softly" so nicely, too! (If you haven't yet watched the videos, you won't get this remark!)
Gerald