Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

ALL SYSTEMS ARE 'GO'

At long last we have confirmation of the date of the unveiling of the commemorative plaque in Belfast.

March 29th. (Ruby's birthdate) The Lord Mayor's office confirmed this afternoon that he is free to carry out the ceremony. It is envisaged that it will take place early afternoon i.e. 2pm - 2.30ish. Should that time be different I will post the details. What a relief! after all the postponements and delays we are finally there.

I have taken the plunge and booked my flights. I have had to go a very long way around to get there, and to get the best fare prices, but I will be there on the big day. There is every possiblility that my book will be available on that day too, if I can get everything done in time for the publisher.

If there are any friends/fans thinking of flying over to join in on this special occasion we would be delighted to see you there. Please place a message on the website so the we know the numbers attending.

I can't tell you how relieved I am, it's been a very long wait but it will be all worthwhile.

A very well deserved tribute to a wonderful lady,- Ruby.. My Precious Gem

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

royston

Post by royston »

hi bernie,
i am so pleased about the unveiling in the city hall. i was interested to hear that you are releasing a book soon, i shall be buying a copy and hope that it will be easy to get a copy. ruby plays, even now, a big part of my life and always will.
roy tyler.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Excellent News Bernie! I know you have worked hard for this moment, and I will plan to be there, with my wife Rosemary.

I agree with Bernie, if you are thinking of going, even if you already live in Belfast or elsewhere in Ireland, please let us know. Maybe we can arrange a Special General Meeting of the Ruby Murray Fan Club, and share a nice meal together.
Gerald

Sandy

Plaque

Post by Sandy »

Great news Bernie! It was a while coming but should be worth the wait. Hope to meet you and other there for the party.!!!

Mytc

Post by Mytc »

So you eventually got it sorted Bernie.... Good for you. :D
'Que Sera Sera'

Tomorrow is another day.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have also now booked my flights, and two nights in Belfast (28th and 29th) so I am hoping that some more people will do the same so that the ceremony is a great event.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

The Unveiling

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have also booked my flights, and I am looking forward to both the unveiling and meeting up with friends. I hope that the weather is good if the plaque is situated on the exterior of the building. I feel quite sure that those who are in charge will have done their homework and that everything will have been considered, including rain.

I have checked with the department responsible, asking whether they will cover the media side of things and they say that they will certainly do that. I am hoping that I can contact a very good friend of Ruby's, Eddie MacEllwain, a reporter from the Belfast Telegraph. He has always been extremely kind to Ruby with his reports. Like me, he is getting on in years now so I hope that he hasn't yet retired and that he will be present for this wonderful occasion.

See you all there. Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

A Most Important Guest.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have just had a very long telephone conversation with Marie Murphy -(nee Cunningham) Ruby's ex pianist and very best friend. I am delighted to say that, despite a few health problems, Marie intends to be present for the great occasion, I couldn't be more pleased.

I first met Marie when Ruby and I married in 1957 and have kept in regular contact with her ever since. We meet up on the odd occasion and being ex 'pros' we enjoy a few laughs together over the 'phone and tonight was no exception. Marie told me that she keeps in touch with all that takes place on the website, so she already knew the full details about the unveiling.

The numbers attending seem to be creeping up and I do hope that even more will be able to be there.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

rbl.ca

The Great Occasion

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi to all of Ruby's fans.
I was giving serious consideration to making the trip to Belfast for the 'unveiling', even though I was reluctant to mention it to my wife. But today I checked on air fares from Toronto to Belfast, and have realized that the cost of the trip couldn't be justified (to my wife, that is).
So I hope all the members of the Forum take lots of photos and post them here.
Bernie, I wish I could be there to say hello to Marie. I hope that Jimmy McGarry's brother, Maurice, is there, and in a few photos.

I hope you all have a great time.
Have one on me.
Ralph Lortie (in Canada)
Last edited by rbl.ca on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie Burgess

Plaque Unveiling.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Ralph,

Thank you very much for your message regarding the unveiling of the plaque. Canada is a very long way so you could hardly be expected to undertake such a trip for a ceremony that might be very short. Of course, if we all have a get together after the event it could go on considerably longer. However, your kind wishes are most appreciated and I am quite sure that photo taking will be an important part of the whole affair, so you will no doubt be seeing plenty on the website later.

I will of course have a chat to Marie about Larry Peters and let you know the outcome.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Jk

Plaque

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, well done on your effort to get the plaque unveiled, I will let you know if I can come near the time, I need to alter hospital dates, and Kathleen will have to try and get off work, which isn’t easy, because she works for my Son, and he would have to get someone to step in for her. I also need to know more of the plan, I would like to do it in one day rather than stay over, and so we will see.
Regards
John.

mal macleod

Post by mal macleod »

Pleased that this is finally going to happen and much praise for your hard work Bernie. Would love to be there but circumstances say otherwise but sure you'll all keep us posted on what takes place.
Also looking forward to the book - hope it works out with the publisher.
Le durachd (Good wishes!)
Mal Macleod

Bernie Burgess

Belfast.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Nish Ma Ha Mal,

Thank you for your kind words. I am quite sure that there will be plenty of photos taken at the 'unveiling' and the subsequent 'gathering of the clans' so those who are unable to go will not miss out.

Amisha Fowoff. or something like that.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

I very much hope to be able to come as well - it will be my first visit to Northern Ireland, although I had a super long weekend in Eire in 2000. However, a lot will depend on my work schedule, but I hope to be able to book a flight over in the near future; will keep you all in touch.
It will be good to see Bernie, Julie and Tim again (the last time was on 30 December 1996 in Torquay), and to meet some of the others whose names regularly appear.
OK for me to set my teaser now? Will do so as soon as I get the go-ahead!
John from Norfolk.

Bernie Burgess

Belfast Plaque.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I checked with Belfast today, asking whether the plaque will be inside the building or outside. I am pleased to tell you that it will be in the foyer of the 'Ulster Hall' consequently we avoid any rain that might decide to fall on the special day. I also checked to see whether they would be organising a press release. They have confirmed that they will approach the television stations, radio stations and the newspapers.

I hope that local fans will inundate the radio stations with requests for Ruby's records for that day as I feel sure that they will want to pay tribute to their RUBY, - OUR RUBY.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.