Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Re: Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello 'Friends'

I sincerely hope that the plaque will be sparkling at the beginning of next month, the filming of the documetary starts very early on in the month and it might be photographed. I confess that I was caught out by Michael Beattie when he was taking photos in my apartment, he picked up one of Ruby's statue awards to photograph it and it was due to be polished and it was not it's usual sparkling self. What is the old expression - never put off until tomorrow what you should do today????

There is a very funny twist to that particular expression: - 'Never put off until tomorrow what you should do today because if you did it today and you enjoyed it, you can do it again tomorrow. Well ... the old ones are the best.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

At long last I have confirmation regarding the well being of Ruby's Commemorative Plaque. It was visited by Jack Crichton, a one time boyfriend from Ruby's early days. He is/was a doctor in the R.A,F, and was going to Belfast on some kind of medical convention and wanted to meet up again with Marie Murphy, Ruby's life long friend who lives in close by Lisburn. They had all met up when Ruby was carrying out a tour of the British forces in North Africa in around 1956. Whilst in Belfast he took the opportunity of visiting Ruby's Commemorative Plaque on the exterior of The Ulster Hall. He sent me a few photographs of his trip, which included his visit to The Ulster Hall, and thankfully the photos confirm that the plaque appears to be in fine fettle considering the fact that it is sited on the exterior of the building for over 5 years, albeit under a huge canopy. I am most grateful to Jack for sending me the photographs.

It was his intention to include a trip to Torquay to visit Ruby's grave but his personal life is in great turmoil right now, due to his wife being seriously ill and circumstances prevented him from carrying out the trip to Torquay. Hopefully Gerald will be able to upload one or two of the photos to enable 'friends' to see for themselves that the plaque appears to be well cared for.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Those of us who know the Ruby Murray story well will realise that the name Jack Crichton goes back a long way. It is good to see that he is still around and well, though sadly his wife appears not to be so.
As Bernie has requested, I have uploaded the photograph of Jack looking at the plaque. I am not sure of the exact date other than I believe it was a short while ago. It is good to see that the plaque is still in lovely condition.
This has also been a useful test to prove that Timmer has indeed fixed the problem that we had that prevented us uploading any new items to the Library - so Thank you and Well Done Timmer! :D
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks Gerald for uploading this picture for us. The plaque is looking mighty fine. Many thanks also to Timmer for sorting out the problems with the library.

Bernie, how is the documentary going on? Have you completed all of your interviews etc now?

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin.
In answer to your question about the filming of interviews. Yes, all interviews have been filmed and now the all important EDITING is taking place. Considering that the documentary will be an hour in duration the many hours of filming will obviously be reduced quite drastically - what a shame! The release date will be early next year and I will eagerly be waiting to see the finished product. I am quite sure that it will be a lasting tribute to our very dear RUBY .

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Excellent.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Another visitor will be taking a close look at the commemorative plaque at The Ulster Hall. The young lady from Torquay, who was my guardian angel on my last eventful visit to Ruby's resting place, is going with her boyfriend for a few days to Belfast at the end of this month and she is going to visit The Ulster Hall and take some photos of the plaque and send them to me,-- thank you very much 'Becky'. I will be seeing Becky myself at the beginning of December when I am planning to fly in and out of Exeter where I will be hiring a car to drive to the Torquay Crematorium to place some roses on Ruby's grave, some what ahead of December 16th but close enough, with a little luck the roses may last until the sad day.

I still haven't found out who the kind person is that attends the grave on a fairly regular basis and places flowers there. I would very much like to find out who that person is so that I can show my appreciation. The last time I went there was a miniature fir tree in a small pot placed there which is a wonderful gesture, I just hope that the rules of the crematorium will allow it to remain there.

If and when I get the photos of the plaque from Becky I will ask Gerald if he would kindy upload it/them for me.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

It was my fervent hope that Ruby's old house could have been spared from the bulldozers that will be making way for a new housing development but I had to concede defeat. I fully realised that I would be fighting a lost cause as there is obviously no sentiment in big business. However there is a distinct possibility that a new street might be named after Ruby. I am currently pursuing that possibility and hoping that this time my plea will not fall on deaf ears.

If I am successful the new street named after Ruby will join the Commemorative plaque that is proudly displayed on the facia of The Ulster Hall and the street mural in another part of Belfast. Ruby deserves to be honoured in this way by her home town/city because of her unsurpassed achievements in the world of Music-Recording-Entertainment. Ruby did Belfast proud over the years so I am hoping that the powers that be will recipricate.

Suggested street names are: - RUBY MURRAY'S STREET (1st choice)

Other suggestions are :- RUBY MURRAY STREET, - RUBY STREET. - RUBYMURRAY STREET.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Good luck Bernie,

We're all behind you 100%

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I will be flying in to Belfast together with Tim, our son, and Julie, our daughter, to take part in a Tribute to Ruby show on May 10th. This will give me an opportunity to once again visit The Ulster Hall to check up on the commemoration plaque on the exterior facia of the hall. It has been in position now since 2005 and providing it has been given the occasional polish it should still be shining brightly. There is an event taking place at the hall on International Women's Day and Ruby will be honoured on this event.
It is wonderful to think that Ruby came to prominence in the world of entertainment in 1954 and 58 years later she is still remembered and honoured, I couldn't be more proud and delighted.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends,

With great sadness I have to report the passing of a dear friend - Frank Bowles. Frank was instrumental in helping me with writing the book - 'Ruby... My Precious Gem'. He was present at the unveiling of the commemoration plaque and quite few photos of Frank with the group of us who flew to Belfast for the event are in the 'Library'. Some have the label - 'At the End of the Day' others were taken at the gates of the City Hall where we all held up letters spelling Ruby's name for the cameras on the facia of the Hall.

Frank was the editor of The Costa del Sol Golf News. Prior to retiring to Spain Frank was neighbour to a Pianist that played for Ruby - Geoff Sanders. It was Geoff's widow who suggested that I contact Frank with a view to getting his professional help with the writing of the book. He became a very good and close friend and he will be sadly missed.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I am very sorry to read this, Bernie. I only met him the once, at the plaque ceremony and the nice dinner afterwards. He seemed like a thoroughly nice chap, and it was a pleasure to meet and chat with him that day. My condolences go to his wife and family.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Whilst in City Centre in Belfast, during our stay in connection with the Tribute to Ruby show, I managed to take a look at the plaque at The Ulster Hall. It has obviously been decided to protect the plaque from the outside weather. It is now prominently displayed in the foyer but is still visable from the outside. It shone brightly and was unmissable, even by passers by. I was very pleased and content knowing that it is being well cared for.

The show at Fane Street School was very well attended and extremely well received. I am hoping to get a copy of the video that was taken of the show in it's entirety and hopefully our good friend Gerald will perform his miracles by getting some of the video onto the website.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Sorry to hear about Frank Bernie, may he rest in peace.

I am glad the tribute show was a success and am looking forward to seeing the video.

Best wishes.

Martin

guider

Post by guider »

Having just returned from Belfast last week, I can confirm that at long last I have achieved another ambition. I have seen the Plaque in The entrance to Ulster Hall. It took me a long time to get there but at last I have seen it. A very well deserved tribute it is too !!!

Betty Higginbottom
Best wishes
Betty