Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Re: Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Welcome back Betty - it has been too long since you were last here!

Interesting that you have been to Belfast recently and took the trouble to go to the Ulster Hall to see the plaque. I plan to be in Belfast shortly, and I was wondering whether or not there will be time to go and see it once again for myself. I shall never forget the wonderful time we had the day it was unveiled, as this thread explains. It was also very good fun standing as a group in front of the camera at City Hall so that those who could not make it to Belfast could still take a little part in the proceedings.
Gerald

guider

Post by guider »

Thanks for the welcome back. I have to say my MAIN reason for going to Belfast was to see the Plaque. I found it quite emotional and certainly VERY well deserved. I have wanted to go from the first time I read about it on here. Hubby took a couple of pictures which will be framed and kept alongside the Picture which Ruby Signed for me.
Best wishes
Betty

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Betty,

What fan dedication that is to travel to Belfast to see the Commemoration Plaque. It is certainly heartening to learn that it is being well cared for. Thank you for your posting it is most welcome - keep them coming.

Adios Senora. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello, someone has just viewed Bernie's speech in Belfast at the unveiling of the plaque and claims Ruby was his great aunt. We have had over 6200 views now.

LUKE PAWSEY has made a comment on Ruby Murray Bernie's Speech In Belfast:
ruby murray is my great aunt:)
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Luke Pawsey is a member of my Sister and her husband's family. He would be her Grandson so Luke would appear to be a little confused about Ruby being his Gt. Auntie. He seems to be very young so perhaps his confusion is understandable.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I was lying in bed this morning, cleaning my bike, when a thought came into my head, - I must find a way of bringing this thread to the top of the list to hasten it's way to another milestone in viewing figures . . . .

guider

Post by guider »

All I can say is that each time I see reports on the latest trouble in Belfast, my Mind transports me right back to going to see the Plaque. Glad it's in Ulster hall and not City Hall !!
Best wishes
Betty

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

As you say 'guider', it's a blessing that the plaque is situated inside The Ulster Hall where it should be safe. What a great pity that fighting should break out again in N.Ireland and all over flying a flag. It goes to prove that feelings still run very deep in that troubled land.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Visitors coming to this forum for the first time may wonder what this thread is all about.

In 2006 on the Anniversary of Ruby's birthday, a plaque commemorating Ruby singing in the Ulster Hall was unveiled with much ceremony, to the delight of Bernie and those of Ruby's family and friends who were able to be present. The siting of the plaque on that occasion was on the outside wall of the hall, and a little curtain had been fixed so that it was not visible until the Mayor pulled the cord. A photograph of the plaque appears on the Home Page of this website, taking just after it had been unveiled.

Now, as part of the considerable refurbishment of the Ulster Hall, it has been relocated to inside the first foyer, and so is undercover and therefore not visible when the front doors are closed. However, these doors are opened every day to allow access to the hall's Booking Office, and a very pleasant café is located beside the office. When I was there last year, there were plenty of customers having a morning cup of coffee.

So friends, do keep on looking at this thread - it must be surely heading for the Guinness Book of Records with 54,000 viewings and still counting! Ruby would have been absolutely thrilled by this.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

54000, - That is the size of a crowd watching a Premier Division football match.- WOW!!!

I wonder what the figure would be of people who have looked at the plaque in The Ulster Hall?

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

That is truly amazing 54,000

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

It's truly amazing, it doesn't seem like a day or two ago when we were all remarking about the Plaque site registering 54,000 but I noticed today that the figure has passed 55,000. and rising. Long may our cherished website continue to be popular.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I have just logged on to the 'Plaque' post and became the 56000th viewer - AMAZING!!!

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Wow!

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Last night I 'nipped' in and became the 57000th viewer. I make it about 500 viewers a month that view this one posting.which is quite satisfying to everyone concerned in the website.

Adios Amigos Bernie.