Ruby on BBC4

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Ruby on BBC4

Post by Graham Bunn »

If you missed the Wednesday night programme of "Timothy Spall Back At Sea" catch up with it on the BBC4 iPlayer.....Timothy visits Belfast and gives information relating to Ruby and you also see the plaque which is dedicated to her memory and Ruby can be heard singing in the background.
Enjoy
Take Care
Graham.
Graham

Jk

Re: Ruby on BBC4

Post by Jk »

Thanks Graham, will take a look.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for that alert Graham. I am just back from a holiday in Spain (in which I spent a very pleasant few hours with our good friend Bernie) so the BBC iPlayer feature has allowed me to watch it.

I get the impression that Timothy Spall might be a fan of Ruby's, he certainly says a few nice words about her. And it is so nice to hear her voice being used as background music in a serious documentary.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Thank you for drawing attention to the Timothy Spall programme Graham. I've just whipped through it to find the appropriate passage, and so anyone else can go straight to it, this link should take you there:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013rknf
To find the beginning of the Ruby spot, you can fast forward to 17:45 mins, and you'll hear the familiar intro to 'If You're Irish Come Into The Parlour'. A very appropriate recording as Ruby is heard singing the line 'If your name is Timothy or Pat ...''. Shortly after, Timothy Spall is seen pointing up to the plaque and relating the story of Ruby's name adopted as the cockney rhyming slang for Curry.

Nice one! Good to know Ruby is still remembered by programme presenters and producers.

Brian

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the info. I missed that programme. Thanks also to Brian for the link. Looks like I got there just in time to view it as it expires in 2 days.

Martin.