'The girl from Donegal'

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

'The girl from Donegal'

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Many of Ruby's fans will be saddened to learn of the death on 9th January of one of her contemporaries, at the age of 87 - BRIDIE GALLAGHER. Bridie and Ruby were very different and unique Irish singers - both immensely popular in the 1950's and 1960's. Bridie's biggest single hit -'The Boys from the Co. Armagh' was later recorded by Ruby. While I don't think they ever appeared on the same bill, Marie Cunnigham (Ruby's long time friend and accompanist) also accompanied Bridie on some of her tours.

Ruby and Bridie had their own distinctive styles and the world is a sadder place without them.

Teddy O'Neil

Bernie Burgess

Re: 'The girl from Donegal'

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Good to see you posting again Teddy but the news you bring is very sad. Bridie was a very successful Irish singing star and she had a large following.I am quite sure that Marie Cunningham(Murphy) will be very upset by the news. From what I gather Bridie suffered from poor health for a very long time, now may she rest in peace.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Yes she was quite nice to listen too, she sang a few that Ruby did.

Lovely Derry on the Banks of the Foyle
Mountains of Mourne
Mick McGilligan's Ball
Courtin in the Kitchen

And many more, you don't get singers like her and Ruby and Joan Reagan anymore, we should think ourselves lucky we had the pleasure to listen to these lovely ladies.
She also sang a lot of Ann Breen songs.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi friends,

Yes it was very sad news about dear Bridie, RIP. She had been ill for some time and died in hospital in Belfast from complications after surgery for a fractured hip. RTE1 television showed a documentary on her career on 18.12.2011. (I think the date is correct). It showed the Ulster Hall where Bridie also performed and Ruby's plaque. Also Ruby is mentioned briefly and their styles compared. I think it is still available to view on RTE TV website player. Bridie holds the record for the largest ever attendance in the Royal Albert Hall on St Patrick's Day, 1959.

It is true that these wonderful singers were so very distinctive in their styles and we will never see the like of any of them again. May they all rest in peace.

Best wishes.

Martin.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

PS The video is also available on Youtube.