International Women's Day - 8 March 2012

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

International Women's Day - 8 March 2012

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

The powers that be at Ulster Hall, Belfast are organising some form of workshop to celebrate the life and work of Ruby Murray for International Women's Day - 8/3/2012. A short item on this was broadcast to-day on Radio Ulster's Art Extra programme at 6.30 pm.
Anyone interested could listen to this broadcast on BBC i Player. I am not computer literate enough to provide readers with the relevant link but if you go into BBC i Player website and query "Radio Ulster Arts Extra" and follow the link to 20/1/2012 broadcast you should be able to listen to the programme for the next 7 days. The item on the Ruby Murray workshop is about 10 minutes into the programme.

The presenter mentioned that Ruby had 7 Top Ten hits - these would have been the famous 5 in one week of 1955 plus presumably her last 2 entries- 'Real Love' and 'Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye' - but what about 'Evermore', 'I'll come when you call' and possibly 'The very first Christmas' - were these also not top 10 entries?

Still, its nice that Ruby's memory and music is being celebrated in this way.

Cheers,
Teddy O'Neil

Bernie Burgess

Re: International Women's Day - 8 March 2012

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Teddy,

I became aware of this event through following up on the street name scheme and my contacts in that direction. I won't comment on the 7 Top Ten hits because I am sure when Gerald reads your post he will be bursting at the seams to coment on the 'error'.

I wonder where the powers that be will be getting their data from, wherever it is let us hope that they get it right. All too often, when researching for such an occasion, they rely far too heavily on what is in print and as we all know data from that source is frequenty wide of the mark. It always amuses me that they give out incorrect facts and in doing so they do it with the utmost confidence.

Good to see you posting again Teddy, I hope you are are keeping well. Have you passed by the Ulster Hall recently, if you have how does the plaque look, are they looking after it and giving it a polish now and again.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you Teddy for bringing this to our attention, and let's hope it is well attended. Here is the link to Radio Ulster on the iPlayer (which sadly may not work for people outside the UK)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 0_01_2012/

Regarding Top Twenty Hits, the following is a summary:

•"Heartbeat" (1954) - UK number 3
•"Softly, Softly" (1955) - UK number 1
•"Happy Days and Lonely Nights" (1955) - UK number 6
•"Let Me Go Lover" (1955) - UK number 5
•"If Anyone Finds This, I Love You" (1955) - UK number 4 †
•"Evermore" (1955) - UK number 3
•"I'll Come When You Call" (1955) - UK number 6
•"The Very First Christmas Of All (1955) - UK number 9 (Record Mirror Chart)
•"You are My First Love" (1956) - UK number 16
•"Real Love" (1958) - UK number 18
•"Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye" (1959) - UK number 10

† Ruby Murray with Anne Warren

So that makes 11 Top Twenty Hits in all, including "The Very First Christmas Of All", with most of them reaching the Top Ten.

No mean achievement!
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks a lot for the information Teddy

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I heard on the Radio this morning a reminder that International Women's Day was this week (when will we get an International Men's Day I wonder? :) ) so this reminded me that Teddy had very kindly posted a message about Ruby figuring in the Belfast celebration.

I hope all goes well and people enjoy celebrating Ruby's life and achievements.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I saw some mention of the event on 'Women's Day' at The Ulster Hall and the fact that Ruby's career was to be featured, amongst other Ulster women, and a name was given of the young woman who was dealing with this event. Some very sparse data applicable to Ruby was used in the piece (which was not exactly correct in detail) so I took it upon myself to foward some fuller data on Ruby in the hope that it might prove useful to the lady in question. Sadly, I haven't even received acknowledgement of my email, sent about 10 days to a fortnight ago, which I find to be odd, to say the least. I do hope that the same lady will not use 'hearsay' and second hand information which is quite common on such ocassions?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Regarding the event on 'International Women's Day' at the Ulster Hall. in Belfast on the 8th. - Has anyone got any information on how it all went and what part Ruby's career played? Who else was featured on the day?

Perhaps our good friend Teddy attended and might have some news about it?

Adios Amigos, Bernie

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Bernie,

Looks like a lot of fun was had on International Womans Day in Belfast..........Go to Google and type in http://www.ulstertatler.com ruby murray...........I just fancy a helping at this moment.

I think Ruby will be looking down enjoying all that is going on at the moment..........Bernie has emailed me saying that he cant find this link,,,,,Make sure that you add Ruby Murray at the end of the link

Hope others can view this
Take Care
Graham.
Graham

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Graham and thanks for the link.

Hope you are keeping well!

Regards.

Martin