Tribute to Ruby Murray show in Belfast.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Tribute to Ruby Murray show in Belfast.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

The Ladies who live in the area where Ruby's home once stood are working hard to promote their scheme, of possibly getting a street or road named after Ruby, by arranging certain events to enhance the chances of being successful with their project. Amongst the events is a proposed -'Tribute to Ruby Murray Show'. I have arranged to fly our son Tim, our daughter Julie and myself to Belfast for 3 days so that we all three can contribute to this show. It is to be held in a Community Hall in the area so it will not be a huge theatrical event but nevertheless a huge undertaking by all those living in the area, I wish them well with their efforts. The headmaster of Fane Street School has said that he anticipates that the hall will be full and the attendance figure will possibly be in the region of 260 to 300 people.

We, the family, fly to Belfast on May 10th, the show takes place on the 11th. and we fly home on the 12th. I have also arranged to fly Tim to Spain to see me so that we can discuss what our family contributions will be in the show. I daresay that Tim will perform a medley of Ruby's hits, which will no doubt include a duet with Julie our daughter. My personal contribution will perhaps be verbal, my singing days have long since disappeared, although with the valued help of Gerald, who sent me a copy of the duet that Ruby and I did on television - 'A Pretty Irish Girl', I am looking into the technicalities of possibly including that song in the show in some way. I believe there are proposals to have other local singers and/or choirs involved and I look forward to seeing and hearing their performances. Their intention is to use Ruby's songs so I have sent over a very large list of songs for them to consider.

Meanwhile I have heard that on International Women's Day in March The Ulster Hall is devoting an evening to Ruby, her music and her contribution to the world of entertainment. Radio Ulster included a promotional spot on radio which refers to that evening which I believe can still be heard on BBC i Player. I don't know the technicalities on how to listen to it and living outside of the U.K. will no doubt exclude me from listening in. Our friend, Teddy O'Neil has already posted details of The Ulster Hall event, so look it up, he may have further information on both the event at The Ulster Hall and the radio broadcast associated with it.

It is wonderful to think that after so many years Ruby is still remembered, talked about and has so many events taking place in her name.

My very best wishes to you all,

Adios Amigos Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: Tribute to Ruby Murray show in Belfast.

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

What great news. I wonder if it will be video recorded? (Hint hint) ;-)

Bernie, maybe you could sell some of your biographies whilst you are there? I'm sure those in attendance would be interested.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have just had a visit from our son Tim, he came for six days and we used the time to plan what our family contribution will possibly be on the Tribute to Ruby show that is being planned for May 11th. at a venue in the area where Ruby used to live. Our contribution will possibly be :- I will begin with some dialogue about Ruby and the event itself and then introduce Julie, our daughter, who will sing a duet with me 'A Pretty Irish Girl'. Julie is so much like Ruby, she is terrified about singing in public but she really does have a very good singing voice and a remarkably good ear for harmony which please me - her Dad, a harmony singer of yesteryear. Then I will introduce Tim and he will sing a lengthy medley of his Mother's hits to backing tracks that he has had made. We hope to follow that by singing as a family. To do this we plan to play a track of Ruby's - 'You Are My Sunshine' and all three of us will harmonize to the track thereby we are all singing together as a family. For me that will be a magical moment bringing back memories of when we used to harmonize together when travelling by car. To end our contribution I am hoping to persuade Tim to perform a solo in his own right.

All three of us are looking forward to performing together on this special event - paying tribute to - RUBY.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Your plans sound really great, Bernie and I hope it all works out very well for all three of you. A most satisfying and worthy tribute to our dear Ruby.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Yes all the very best of luck in your endeavours. Make sure you put a copy of the video in the library.!

Martin

rockyqld

Post by rockyqld »

The show sounds like it is going to be great we will have to see if we can listen into it on the net. Ruby is never forgotten in this family we have been DJ's on FM101 for the past 25 years and we have rarely done a program without playing at least one track of Ruby's. We broadcast on Sunday's 4 to 6pm Queensland time GMT + 10hours and we do have a net cast to listen live at http://www.101fm.asn.au The program is called "Backtrack" and is music from the 1950's & 60's.
Best of luck with your concert, wish we could be there.
Cheers
Bill & Mary Hardman

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Bill and Mary,
Thanks for your post and thanks also for the data on your radio programme, I shall be tuning in on Sunday to have a listen. I'll be keen to find out whether you have still got an English accent or whether there will be a touch of OZ in your voices.

Back in the U.K. there has been snow in parts and the weather has been quite wintery, as is the norm, whilst here in Spain we are still enjoying daily sunshine although it does get quite chilly at night when the sun goes down.

I am looking forward to taking part in the tribute show but I haven't sung in public for light years. Our daughter Julie is very nervous about singing on stage - just like her Mother, she has a good voice, just like her Mother, and she also has a good ear for harmony, just like her Dad. From a showbusiness point of view our son Tim has not sung in public for about a year now, like most artistes his engagements have completely dried up so he is also a little tentative. He too will need to rehearse to get his voice back in training. We will obviously be dependent on backing tracks, Tim has his medley of Ruby's songs on C.D., which he has often used on stage, but no backing track existed for the duet that Julie and I are intending to sing together - 'Pretty Irish Girl', so one of Tim's pals down in the west country has made one for us in his studio. It is so strange having to sing to an accompanying track as opposed to the other way around, especially with so many passages where there are 'rallentandos' leading to 'colla voce' and back again into tempo.

I hasten to add that the show is not going to be on a grand scale, it will be held in some kind of Community Centre or a girl's school. Those who are organising are
ordinary local residents and they are using local people to sing some of Ruby's songs and I believe they are including a choir. I sincerely hope that the show will help towards achieving their aim of getting a street or road named after Ruby.

Take care of yourselves down there.

My very best wishes to you both,

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

A last minute change of programme has taken place, due to the difficulties with the 'colla voce' parts in 'Pretty Irish Girl' Julie and I will now be singing to Ruby's track
of 'When You Wore a Tulip'. A sound test has been arranged for 2pm on the day of the show.

I have been informed that the show is going to be videoed. A Radio station (Radio Ulster) is lining up an interview with Tim on the 9th. the day before we are due to fly to Belfast.

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

I wish you all Good Luck and I hope the show is a complete success, as you are putting so much effort into it. Have you thought about retiring from Show Business, Bernie?

[Colla Voce is a musical term that only recently I came across. I was accompanying a singer myself, and had to look up this instruction, which to the pianist means the singer is likely to ad lib around the beat and timing just here, so you have to follow what they do. I remember that Ruby does just this in Pretty Irish Girl, so that must have made it very difficult to follow when using a recording. Your second choice is another good one!]
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Gerald - (Colla Voce) I couldn't have put it better myself.

Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Good luck Bernie. I like that track "When you wore a tulip" so hope it works out.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I am happy to report that the show went very well and we are all eagerly waiting to hear when the video will be available. Considering that I had not sung on stage for quite a few years and Julie hadn't sung on stage since she was about 16yrs old and Tim hadn't sung on stage for approximately two years, the end result was very rewarding. Nerves played a very big part for all three of us, quite naturally, but Tim's vast experience came to the fore and he did a remarkable performance on the final number. I felt enormously proud of Julie because although, just like her Mother, she was simarlarly terrified, yet she performed extremely well. Singing as a family unit pleased me a great deal and it took me back to the days when Ruby would be travelling to and from an engagement and we were all in the car together - singing. Julie recalled those days and during the day of the show she came up to me and reminded me of all four of us singing 'Soon It's Gonna Rain'. Tim put the icing on the cake with his rendition of 'Somewhere', the audience LOVED IT.

My thanks to both Tim and Julie for their performances, they deserve a thunderous round of applause. It was planned that everone came on stage at the end of the show to 'community' sing - 'Let Him Go, Let him Tarry. I am quite sure the video will pick up on the fact that not many of us knew all the words but the audience took over and sang it with gusto (He is the third one from the left on the front row)

Some of the young 'performers' excelled and were over the moon with their success and quite visably enjoyed performing in the 'Tribute' show. The man who has coordinated most of the project - Billy Dickson, deserves a huge amount of thanks and gratitude for his enthusiasm and toil. My sincere thanks to him and all the Ladies involved - everyone deserves a great deal of credit for the toil and dedication.

The local Women's Association have achieved remarkable things in 'The Village' as they referred to the area. They have had a hall built, which is used for a mulitude of different services for the local residents and their children. They ALL worked extremely hard to bring the show to fruition and it was a credit to them. I just hope that they achieve their aim of getting Ruby's name on a street, a road, or as it was suggested at the last meeting for a park close by.

I will keep everyone informed as things progress. When I am given a copy of the video I will forward it to Gerald so that he can carry out his 'wonders' by placing a part of the show onto the website. In the meatime . . . .

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Gerald Lawrence

Well Done Julie, Tim and Bernie - sounds like a great time was had by all who took part. And my thanks also to Billie Dickson and the ladies of The Village for another project in remembering the life of Ruby Murray.

I await with interest any video or recording made of the proceedings.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I have just had a long conversation with Tim, our son, on Skype. He was telling me how very impressed he was with the Women of the local community in the area where Ruby once lived and he took it upon himself to write a piece about them and the hard work that they are doing, and have done. I think it will be of great interest to everyone here on Ruby's website so I have copied it with a view to uploading in onto this 'thread'.

THE TRIBUTE TO RUBY MURRAY SHOW.

On Friday 11th of May my dad Bernie, my sister Julie and I sang together on stage for the first time ever at a gig in Belfast. A personal achievement and special moment that we will cherish and are very grateful for. The show was put on at the Fane Street Primary School where my mum went as a little girl. Along with ourselves some of the talented local people performed various things associated with Ruby Murray and everyone seemed to love it. One of the highlights was three actors who very kindly came along and performed an excerpt from the play "Ruby". They were fantastic and to top it off it turned out that one of them was the son of the plays author Marie Jones.

Everyone did a great job, the local performers, the guys who gave their time to provide and monitor the sound system and musical accompaniment and in particular the organizers who not only pieced the whole thing together financially but did everything from publicity, ticket sales, banners, seating arrangements, manning the doors, teas and biscuits, filming the show, looking after a very nervous Murray family, schedule fag breaks, provide a taxi service, to singing on stage themselves and even comparing the whole show. Nice one Eleanor! I have to say though the local kids and teenagers singing and dancing to mums songs was really moving. not only because of their ability and the synchronicity of the occasion, but the realization of what Ruby Murray had really achieved and how the beauty of music can and will transcend life's hardships. In that moment there were no politics, no boundaries and not even a generational divide. Don't you love music?!

The show was to help raise awareness of a project run by one of a handful of women's groups in what's known as "The Village" which is where my mum was born and grew up. "The Village" is one of the areas in Belfast that has experienced more than its fair share of trauma and heartache through and since "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland. Added to that is a harsh economic environment which continues to have a devastating impact and leave good people and a proud community in need of support. As part of a rejuvenation plan a lot of the old terrace streets, including Benburb Street and Moltke Street where mum grew up, are being replaced by new housing and facilities. Some of the residents would like to rename a street or name the new park in honor of Ruby Murray as a dedication to one of a number of famous or successful people from the area. We were welcomed by the women's group and shown round the building they use to offer support to the community, particularly the women. Out of nothing they had built a center that provides educational opportunities, vocational courses, a meeting place, a creshe, a tiny library with books donated by local people and even a massage therapy room. On top of that they had just completed plans for a new building as part of the redevelopment. Most importantly however it was clear to me that they offered a safe space of compassion and understanding to people trying to survive in a world that has very little of it. It was amazing to see what had been achieved with virtually no financial support or political will and it was only when I met the women involved that I was reminded how it's possible that a handful of dedicated people can make such a difference against all the odds, it's because they care. I am humbled and to a large degree my faith in humanity is restored. Thank you for that ladies!

Progress on the project as a whole is very gradual which is understandable as along with the hope of rejuvenation comes the difficulties of change. But on behalf of my dad, my sister and myself we would be thrilled to know that in some small way mum's achievements could help restore a sense of dignity and pride in the city she was born in and the people she loved very much.

With love
Tim Murray

Gerald Lawrence

Bravo Tim! What a splendid piece of writing - you can tell it came from the heart.

Here was I thinking about what the organisers have done for the memory of Ruby, and now it is clear what the Burgess/Murray family have been able to bring to the organisers, and The Village. I am sure they all feel most proud of, and grateful for, the time and effort that all three of you have given to their most worthy cause.
Gerald