Tribute to Ruby Murray show in Belfast.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
MARTIN FOSTER

Re: Tribute to Ruby Murray show in Belfast.

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Congratulations to Bernie, Tim and Julie on what sounds to have been a great success.

Tim, that was a lovely piece you wrote about the event and also about Ruby's community. I wonder if they could get assistance from the National Lottery to help with their work....and you are so right about music overcoming all boundaries. Bernie, I am sure you are very proud. I am looking forward to seeing the video on here when Gerald has worked his usual magic. Thanks Gerald! Was there anything in the Belfast newspapaers about this or on local television?

Best wishes.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Regarding the local press: - We all three left Belfast the following morning, early, so I am unaware of whether the local press covered the event. Prior to the show Radio Ulster arranged to telephone Tim and set up a telephone interview which apparently was heard by all the local residents.

I will try to find out from Billy Dickson whether there has been any mention in the local press.

Ta Ra for now - Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Bernie has just sent me a photograph of the banner used during the Tribute Show. It is located under Miscellaneous Images, but here is a copy to have a look at:

Very impressive!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks for uploading the banner Gerald, I am pressing for the Video and hope to get a copy soon. Regarding the banner, - It was attached on the under side of a screen which was used to project photos and video clips of Ruby whilst the audience were settling into there seats. I watched the display and I must say that who ever worked on the display has certainly done their homework, it made me wonder where they got the photos and video clips from, they were plentiful.

I have heard from a couple of the ladies and it would appear that the idea of naming the park after Ruby is perhaps a better idea than the street or road naming. I picked up word that when it comes to street naming opinons could be divided as there are a few local residents who prefer that the street continues to be called Moltyke Street because of it's historic connection. This being the case the naming of the park seems a safer, and better idea if voting becomes split. Because of the current derelict neighbourhood outlook the important aim is to try to lift the area up from the depressing scene, as it stands right now, into a brighter, more pleasant area in which people can live and thrive. The idea or 'building' a park is to be able to provide a tranquil area for residents to play and to relax in - sounds good to me. I feel sure that Ruby herself would go for that option too. Let us all hope that it comes to fruition and that the park, and it's outlook, will provide 'Forty Shades of Green' for the enjoyment of those who choose to use it's facilities. I have heard say that grass seeding has already commenced, if that is true then - GREAT!

Adios Amigos. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

I think a park sounds a great idea. I wonder if there would be a plaque, statue or something with a bench nearby for people to sit and enjoy.

I do like the banner Bernie. It's a nice picture of Ruby with slightly longer hair than usual and it did suit her.

I wonder if the video clips and pictures of Ruby that were shown on the screen could somehow be obtained and placed in the library too? (HInt hint) ;-)

Best wishes.

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

The Video of the 'Tribute Show'.

I would like to explain about the hold up of the video. The man who made the video has had, in the past, a triple bypass operation. Just after the show he was taken into hospital with further heart problems therefore 'The Ladies' are not too keen to push his wife for information on the video situation, understandaby it's a matter of being patient. I will keep everyone informed.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, it was probably your singing that give him heart attack.

On a serious note I wish him well.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I am in communication with one of 'The Ladies' from the community in Belfast. I have asked for news of any kind in connection with the naming of the local park and the latest situation regarding the video. Her is a copy of her latest reply: -

Hi Bernie,
Just an update for you. Seeing Fedelma tomorrow, hopefully to get something from her regarding video. Have asked Wendy to check out who did the pictures etc and waiting on her to get back to me. Big housing meeting on Monday coming, in theory the park name has been passed, just now to rectify the gates having her name across the top, similar to the park in Carrickfergus. so will be in touch as soon as I hear any news tomorrow from Fedelma. Everyone asking about the DVD from that night, wanting copies for themselves too. Good buzz still around the place. Good vibes from your visit still. All good here.

Margaret .

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi all, it all sounds good, we will just have to Waite and see. Hope it does happen.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Wow this all sounds good news. I think I now even prefer the idea of a park being named after Ruby rather than a street - parks are much nicer places and maybe they will have some roses there. Let's hope it all works out well.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I agree with you Gerald. A park would be so much better, if it is done right, especially if there are roses. If there are no roses I might even consider a way of planting some there myself.

Because of past experience when dealing with local authorities, I take nothing for granted. After the way they bulldozed and rode roughshod over everybody who tried to resist their multi demolishion project, I have slight reservations about the final outcome. Having said that I should be more positive with my thinking. - There WILL be a park and it WILL be named after Ruby and there WILL be roses - so there!!!

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I confess to becoming a little impatient about the promised video of the 'Tribute' show. I fully appreciate that the person responsible for videoing the show was hospitalised directly after the 'Tribute' show but after all my efforts to get information as to when the copy would be sent to me there has been compete silence. I have sent an email to the secretary of The Women's Association and I have received a much appreciated positive reply. She has apologized profusely for the long hold up and has promised to chase the matter up and come back to me. I await her promise of action.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Well good luck Bernie. We are all waiting patiently as well and looking forward to seeing the video.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

The latest situation regarding the video.

We still have to wait for the video, I was informed that the persons that did the videoing have had a piece of equipment worth £2000. stolen from their offices. They are having to send their material to a friend in London to ask him to do them a favour and piece all their takes together.

It's a frustrating wait but we must continue to be patient - Now we must wait his time. - unfortunately.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

More delay in connection with the video. I have been informed that the persons who carried out the videoing at the 'Tribute' show have had their offices broken into and a vital piece of equipment worth £2000. has been stolen from their premises. They have had to send their entire video takes of the show to a friend of theirs in London and plead with him to do them a favour by editing all their 'takes' for them and splicing them together. We now have no option other than to await his time

It's been a frustrating wait but it now appears that we must wait even longer

Adios Amigos. Bernie.