Casual visitors to the site (aka Guests).....

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Casual visitors to the site (aka Guests).....

Post by 1952mgyb »

As a casual vistor to this site (guest I suppose) I do have a look around now and then, read the posts etc and noticed the thread on 'new members'or the lack of them! There was also some discussion about whether the 'guests' that did look at the site were genuine visitors or some sort of electronic spam or bot (or whatever the correct technical term is). As there is no way for guests to send messages [for no doubt good reasons] to communicate that you do have genuine guests after noticing Bernie Burgess's e mail address [on a posting] I decided to e mail him and say the site is visited by non members. As I was born in the early 50s I do have memories of Ruby Murray (songs such as 'Softly Softly', 'Evermore' etc) which I recall from hearing on the radio or relatives old 78 rpm records- probably in the late 50s /60s. I do enjoy her music [I suppose 'Softly, Softly' is my favourite as with many people] but I would not describe myself as a dedicated fan hence the visits to the site only now and then. It occurred to me that there must be a lot of people who do the same. Someone once said that for every member of a club or organisation [eg boards like this] there must be at least 10 others who view the site but dont sign up. I hope this gives some encouragement to long standing members of this site!
My own personal feelings are that I dont think Ruby Murray is forgotten at all..its just that time moves only in one direction for all of us and music tastes change....looking back I think Ruby Murray and similar contempories were over shadowed by the advent of 'Rock n Roll'/The Beatles etc and the whole 60s thing. That's not a bad thing as all music has its day but tastes change and staying the 'same' is not an option. Ruby did still have a career after the late 50s but few artists remain as popular as when the first burst on the scene. MY view is that as its quite some time now since Ruby's heyday and after all the stuff has been put on this site things are bound to quiten down. The site should remain in place for visitors to view and as a tribute to a fine singer who I dont think will ever be forgotten. Few recording artists are continually in the public consciousness after such a length of time since they were popular so Ruby Murray is doing quite well it seems to me. I will remain a visitor to the site - I can't promise to contribute much as that's not my style but I hope it cheers those dedicated fans up that the site is valued so keep up the good work of keeping her recrdings in the public domain.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Casual visitors to the site (aka Guests).....

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for your posting, 1952mygb, welcome to the forum as a member, it is good to have your views. And it is good to know that you appreciate all the work that goes into keeping such a website and forum going.

Many thanks.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thank you 1952mygb for your comments, I am so pleased that you posted them.

Of course you are right about the passing of time and the fact that tastes change. The brilliant part about Ruby is that memories of her are still as strong as ever, after all she was a world record holder in the world of music and a unique one too. For a young girl who was only 19 when she burst onto the music scene she caused huge ripples which went on for many years. I am still extremely proud of her and her achievments.

I recently noticed on television that even Paul McCartney had criticisms when appearing at an important event and there were cries for him to give up singing so even The Beatles's craze is begining to fade. Tempus fugit.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Ooops - apologies for the unusual username (and the typing errors)..I presumed that the 'username' was something other than a real name...which is David by the way. The pictures of a young Ruby on the site are as we should remember her..it's strange but I never realised just how young she must have been when she first had her hit records in the mid 50s. One bonus about showbusiness back then is how 'family friendly' is was mostly.. this is no longer the case even for mainstream music now but this reflects (sadly) the society we have become,but that's another story. Anyway, keep up the good work and I am sure the site will continue to provide memories of Ruby's music to new generations and I am certain this site has more 'guests' than you realise..

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi David, first welcome to the site, I really enjoyed reading your comments. I agree with what you say, music has changed a lot since Ruby's days I personally don't think it is for the better, I much sooner listen to the 50s music, but I suppose that's me getting old.

Anyhow thanks for posting we do appreciate it.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Having served in the field of music for many years I think I can claim to speak with some authority. Being perfectly honest a very large percentage of music(?) these days cannot be classified as being music by any stretch of the imagination, we have left quality music behind and now we have the likes of Rap and other strange sounding categories. Singers, real singers, are a forgotten breed. The arrival of Rock 'N Roll wiped out most of the 'ballad' singers, (as I have heard them referred to), but there were a few highly talented, quality singers that continued to carry the flag, the likes of Tony Bennett, Andy Williams, Matt Monro, Mel Torme, and Frank Sinatra all of whom were 'giants' in the world of singers of quality music. Now of course I leave myself wide open for more criticism for not including female singers but the likes of Peggy Lee, Jo Stafford, Rosemary Clooney, as brilliant as they were, didn't stay on the same level of prominence as their male counterparts. One could single out Ella Fitzgerald as being the 'tops' but what 'hit' records did she have after the 50s?

Today we are 'confronted' with people who rocket into space with screaming - not singing - and try as I may I cannot find a memorable melody line amongst the bulk of it. I may well be labelled as 'yesterday's man' but as far as music is concerned that is where quality music remains - Yesterday.

Adios Amigos Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I tend to agree with Bernie's comments [particularly the loss of 'ballads' ]but you also have to realise that a lot of 'modern' music is for dancing to (OK a lot of people might disagree that post 60s pop gyration is dancing but that's another story). Music also reflects the mores and values of the age and we all know what the values of today's sex & money obsessed society are....also one of the problems with no longer being young is that you dislike young people's music! Mind you there is only so much middle of the road stuff you can listen to and music tastes have to change...just a pity a lot of us dont like what its changed into but maybe Al Bowlly fans said the same of '50s music.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

May I just add a couple of things here. I am not someone who is stuck in the past, I am all for change, as long as it's change for the better.

In my own field of music, that of harmony groups, I was, and still am, a Four Freshmen fan but newer groups have come into prominence in recent years and I am full of praise for them and I enjoy listening to their music. This is where I can highlight the difference, - today's high quality harmony groups produce some brilliant sounds which is fantastic to listen to but they use today's modern technology and multiple tracking whereas The Freshmen could produce their unique vocal sound 'live' on stage without the use of recording studio technology. If you took away today's recording technology from a good percentage of produced records of today there would be nothing left to listen to, it's all artificial. In essence the record producer of today can take someone off the streets into the studio and produce a 'hit' record, where is the vocal talent??? - It's in the producer's hands on the mixing desk.

To emphasize my point, my own son - Tim, with his own recording equipment, can produce a track with a minimum of 4 voices, all of which are his, to accompany his own solo voice and make it sound like a solo voice with full backing group and add complete orchestra from a single keyboard and it is all HIM, no-one else in the studio.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Well, hard to argue with the logic particularly given your first hand knowledge of the music business. Maybe in the not too distant future we will see a return to quality (good vocals etc) popular music. Whilst there is a lot of good music still about sadly today it can be just about image and instant (if temporary) fame.Technology, as you say, can make anyone sound good which must be infuriating for someone with real talent. Popular music has always been about the younger generation though and what they like to listen to. I am not sure what the answer is but maybe with more live stuff being performed at concerts the public will sus the pretenders out - let's hope so.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I am only too pleased that the younger generation listens to their own tastes and styles but unless someone brings MUSIC back - how are they going to know what music really is? One of my big worries is that good old fashoined 'romance' (Now that really dates me) has gone, it's lost, burried, and sentimentality has disappeared with it. Screaming, and foul language has taken the place of singing and note chasing has established itself so deeply that I fear that it has taken root forever. Ring the changes YES but make it MUSIC instead of 'noise' - DIN!!!

Unless I'm very much mistaken, there is no provision these days for the elderly to be given a 'santuary' where they can listen in peace instead of having thier ears bombarded with deafening 'noise'. As old fashioned as it is I am in the same ranks as J.K.- 50s music was at least MUSIC.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I appreciate and share your concerns...all we can do is try and influence people and I think this site does a pretty good job
doing that.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

1952mgyb,

It has been a pleasure exchanging views with you on music Now and Then. I do hope that you will stay around so that we can have more exchanges i.e. What is your taste in music? (I know that you liked some of Ruby's recordings) What comments can you offer on my book on Ruby's life and career? What part of the country do you live in? What is your verdict on the T.V. documentary 'Ruby and the Duke' which highlights the difference between the music of Ruby's era and that of Duke Special'? Have you seen the work that continues to be done in Belfast by the locals who live in the area where Ruby was born and bred in their attempts to get a local park named after Ruby?

Thank you for your comments on the work that is carried out on the website? Personally I am astounded by the amount of dedicated work that has gone into the website, Gerald is still a dedicated Ruby Murray fan and he continues to beaver away at keeping a watchful eye on it's every day running.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Welcome David to our site and thanks for taking the time to join up and make a post. I found your exchange with Bernie very interesting. Please do keep in touch with us. Do you like any other singers from Ruby's era such as Joan Regan, Alma Cogan and Lita Roza?

Best wishes.

Martin

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Although only an occasional visitor to the site I will have a go at posting something next week. Cheers for now.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Bernie Burgess wrote:I am only too pleased that the younger generation listens to their own tastes and styles but unless someone brings MUSIC back - how are they going to know what music really is? One of my big worries is that good old fashoined 'romance' #Now that really dates me# has gone, it's lost, burried, and sentimentality has disappeared with it. Screaming, and foul language has taken the place of singing and note chasing has established itself so deeply that I fear that it has taken root forever. Ring the changes YES but make it MUSIC instead of 'noise' - DIN!!!

Unless I'm very much mistaken, there is no provision these days for the elderly to be given a 'santuary' where they can listen in peace instead of having thier ears bombarded with deafening 'noise'. As old fashioned as it is I am in the same ranks as J.K.- 50s music was at least MUSIC.
I think the music you would like is in fact out there, and I would like to draw your attention to two female singers whom I particularly like. They are neither of them "brand new" singers, but they are still releasing albums, and they are in my opinion very good singers.

The first one is Beverley Craven. She had hits in the early 90s "Promise Me" and "Woman to Woman", then stopped recording in order to have a family, then had cancer. But she came back to recording and live appearances a few years ago. I went to see her perform in Stratford on Avon. It was a very small venue (120 maximum) but it was a lovely atmosphere and I just happened to get a seat in the front row! I can't find something from her latest album but here is a hit she had three years ago "I Miss You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jha2pDC4oOQ Make sure you skip the advert!

The second is Katie Melua. She is originally from Georgia (the Russian one) but emigrated first to Belfast (I wonder if she has heard of Ruby?) from where she learned the trade of singing and song-writing. She became famous several years ago when Terry Wogan featured her recording "The Closest Thing to Crazy" on his Radio 2 morning show - it became a hit. Here is a song from her album released this year "Secret Symphony" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc5VGzFp7lk.

Both of these ladies sing so that you can actually hear the lyrics, just like Ruby did.
Gerald