Ruby Murray - some thoughts

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Ruby Murray - some thoughts

Post by 1952mgyb »

Although not a dedicated fan and only an occasional visitor to this site I said I would write again with some info on what I like about Ruby Murray…well I first heard her record of Softly Softly in the 60s/70s I suppose on some old 78 rpm and for some reason this is the song I most like and also the one for which she is apparently most remembered…I also like Evermore and Ava Maria. I do not favour any particular music genre at all nor am I that ‘into’ music as such…I just like what I find pleasing to the ear…I suppose if you could define what that entails you could make a million. I was thinking that the attraction of Ruby Murray is possibly that she had that special combination of singing ability, girl next door good looks but also a seeming vulnerability. I sometimes think as an ‘audience’ we are in danger of imposing our view of what someone is like on them and possibly never really see the real person. But who can pin down star quality? To some extent singers like Ruby from the early 50s were over shadowed by rock n roll but also simply that tastes in music change all the time. Ruby Murray is not forgotten and her records still deserve to be played… so Radio 2 take note. I notice Brian Mathews and Desmond Carrington are still going so maybe some of Ruby’s fans should keep persevering with their requests? There is sadness about her later life which for some reason seems entirely unexpected maybe because we confuse what a person is with what a person does. Who knows? Bernie’s book does a lot to fill in the gaps.
Just for info (apologies if this has already been noted on this site) there is a section about Ruby on Last FM at:
http://www.last.fm/music/Ruby+Murray
By the way Gerald Lawrence’s note about Beverly Craven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jha2pDC4oOQ
Was worth viewing – I agree a fine singer indeed.
Tribute sites like this one for Ruby are bound to go a bit quiet after the early days of assembling the vast array of material available here but that is not because Ruby is forgotten rather there is possibly less to say as the details are mostly already here. As I said before people who contribute to a site like this are usually far outweighed by those who look at the site now and then or happen upon it and enjoy the information dedicated fans have brought to it. Who knows maybe someone will make a film or musical of her life…maybe Evermore would be a good title?
Cheers
David M

Bernie Burgess

Re: Ruby Murray - some thoughts

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David

I looked in on the link that you posted and it makes me wonder where the facts come from when they write a piece about an artiste. To demonstrate my point I am going to copy and paste the piece and make the required corrections,
Ruby Murray was born in Belfast on the 29th of March 1935.-( AT LEAST THEY GOT THAT BIT RIGHT).
On a tour of Northern Ireland as a child singer in variety shows, she was spotted by producer Richard Afton- INCORRECT - RUBY WAS 12YRS OLD AND NOT TOURING BUT SHE WAS SPOTTED LOCALLY IN THE BELFAST AREA BY T.V. PRODUCER RICHARD AFTON AND HE BOOKED THE 12YR OLD CHILD PERFORMER TO APPEAR ON TELEVISION IN LONDON'S ALEXANDRA PALACE. - (who) encouraged her to go for a career in show business and she made her TV debut at the age of 12 despite the laws regarding child performers although her work was severely restricted until she was 14. Joining Tommy Morgan’s touring revue, INCORRECT - THE TOMMY MORGAN SHOW WAS RESIDENT EVERY SUMMER AT THE PAVILION THEATRE IN GLASGOW BUT THE SHOW CAME TO BELFAST EACH YEAR TO APPEAR AT THE OPERA HOUSE THEATRE. TOMMY SAW YOUNG RUBY WHILST IN BELFAST AND ASKED RUBY TO JOIN HIS RESIDENT SHOW WHEN IT RETURNED TO GLASGOW. AT THE END OF THE SUMMER SEASON RUBY RETURNED TO BELFAST AND APPEARED LATER IN A TOURING SHOW IN IRELAND CALLED 'YANKEE DOODLE BARNEY' WHICH EVENTUALLY CAME ACROSS THE SEA TO ENGLAND,she was offered a regular spot as a singer on the BBC show Quite Contrary as a replacement for Joan Regan. BY THE SAME T.V. PRODUCER - RICHARD AFTON. NOW WE ARE CLOSER TO THE FACTS

I WAS ALWAYS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT ALL JOURNALIST/WRITERS WERE OBLIGED TO CHECK THEIR FACTS BEFORE THEY GO TO PRINT, I CONTSTANTLY FIND THAT I AM WRONG, THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T CHECK THEIR FACTS. THEY PICK UP SNIPPETS FROM HERE AND THERE AND PIECE THEM TOGETHER AND MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY ARE WRONG BUT IT NEVER BOTHERS THEM. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THIER PRINTED FACTS CAUSE GREAT PAIN AND SEVERE PROBLEMS BUT AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED THEY WILL GO AHEAD AND PRINT ANYWAY. I PERSONALLY HAVE SUFFERED AT THEIR HANDS ON MANY OCASIONS.

ADIOS AMIGOS. BERNIE.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David,

Wouldn't it be great if someone DID make a film about Ruby. Light years ago a film was made about an American female vocaliste, it starred Susan Hayward. The story centres around the main fact that the female vocalist - I will try to remember her name - was the victim of a crash and she was confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. The lady vocaliste in question recorded a beautiful song called - 'I Wonder'. Amongst 'our' video clips there is a Pathe documentary in which Ronnie Harris sings this particular song I wouldn't mind betting that one of our 'posters' will come up with the name of the American female singer and even the name of this particular film.

The story line of the film was a strong one, but I am sure that the story of Ruby's life and career would be just as strong. Her's was a helter skelter ride through so many aspects of life - Contentment, Happiness, Love, Sadness, Struggle, Fame, Success, Failure, Disaster, Endearment, and a few more.

Just remembered the American female vocaliste - JANE FROMAN. Can anyone recall the name of the film about her life story???

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

The film you refer to was 'With a song in My Heart'. It might be worthwhile if you contacted Last FM [an internet service]and put them straight on their incorrect facts about Ruby Murry. They could then change their name to First FM (sic) maybe.....or has that been taken?

I have noticed that quite a bit of Ruby Murray stuff appears on eBay..including signed record covers etc if any fan is interested. No doubt if the powers that be played more of her records the current public profile might increase. Last FM also gives downloads of her records and even displays which members are currently listening to them..maybe you could get Last FM to plug this site?

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Referring again to Last FM an internet record service ..if you go to the site and look under Ruby Murray you will see from the 'who is listening indicator' that at any one time people are listening to her songs....so she is obviously still popular. Not sure why they dont redirect here afterwards but at least they listen to her music.

http://www.last.fm/music/Ruby+Murray

cheers

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

DAVID,

I am so pleased that I looked in on that site, so many viewers listening in to Ruby's recordings, it's very pleasing.

I never did get a response to my email to them explaining that there data was floored.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

That's typical Bernie but at least it shows how many people still love and appreciate our dear Ruby's music.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

If you take a good look at the page you can see that 'Softly Softly' has been played over 500 times in the last 6 months with 'Heartbeat' coming next in Ruby tracks at over 300..not bad considering most of the people listening must be fairly young given that you have to sign up to the site.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

When reading David's postings the situation gets more pleasing as time goes by. My faith in music is gradually being restored but obviously it has a very long way to go before we can listen to MUSIC again.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Just to show that individuals from many countries are genuinely listening to Ruby Murray tracks see:

http://www.last.fm/music/Ruby+Murray/+listeners

Quite impressive - by the way I have no connection whatsoever with Last FM !

Pity Last FM are hard to contact as they should really have a link to this site.

David

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

1952mgyb wrote:Just to show that individuals from many countries are genuinely listening to Ruby Murray tracks see:

http://www.last.fm/music/Ruby+Murray/+listeners

Quite impressive - by the way I have no connection whatsoever with Last FM !

Pity Last FM are hard to contact as they should really have a link to this site.

David
Even more a pity that none of the listeners to Last FM wanted to join us when I had opened this forum to new members and got flooded with people who had no interest in Ruby whatsoever. A link from Last FM would be good to have, but strictly speaking is not necessary - if you Google "Ruby Murray" at least here in the UK then our website is first answer in the list that appears. This is thanks to Timmer who keeps it this way.
Gerald