A Problem with this website

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

A Problem with this website

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Over the last few days there has been a problem which a few of us have encountered while trying to access the Ruby Murray website. It is now fixed, thanks very much to the extremely prompt reply from our founder, Timmer, after I advised him of the problem.

Early this week I was told by my browser that it could not find http://www.rubymurray.org and no amount of trying persuaded it that the website existed. A day or so later, this changed to a state in which Internet Explorer locked up every time I tried to access our website. Very shortly after finding this, the problem also degenerated into supplying me with a Trojan virus, which fortunately my virus checker, Microsoft Security Essentials, found and isolated.

This was on a computer running XP. When I checked it on one running Windows 7 and IE9, it actually connected with a website showing some details of services (mainly IT) and using the name rubymurray.org. It also kindly provided the same Trojan.

The problem is now fixed and we are back to normal, but I would advise anybody who has experienced something similar to make sure their PC is completely clean by running a full scan of their virus checker, just to be on the safe side.
Gerald

1952mgyb

Re: A Problem with this website

Post by 1952mgyb »

If you put 'Ruby Murray' into google it does not show this website but if you put 'Ruby Murray Website' you get a page where you can then click to go to the board index.
Something is amiss and its not the user PC/laptop.

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

To be on the safe side I took Gerald's advice and ran a check on my computer. I use AVG Anti Virus and all appears to be well - No viruses found, thankfully, although if what Gerald says is correct , namely that the virus is a Trojan type and that it might lay dormant until it strikes later then only time will tell.

Sadly there are those around who get a kick out of wreaking havoc, but just why they chose an innocent website such as ours is a mystery, -it's a strange world.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

1952mgyb wrote:If you put 'Ruby Murray' into google it does not show this website but if you put 'Ruby Murray Website' you get a page where you can then click to go to the board index.
Something is amiss and its not the user PC/laptop.

David
This seems to be OK now for me. When I tried it, our website home page came up as first one on the list.
Gerald

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Mine back to normal now too.

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David -

I am so pleased that you have decided to stay around with us. Keep the posts coming. I daresay that you haven't as yet seen Gerald's winter scene on the home page, that is a surprise to come in that case. I feared that the 'breakdown' might have put off any new viewers but I'm glad to say the numbers are still mounting.

I had hoped to get a reply from my email to Paul O'Grady about the 'triple' record play on his programme but as yet - negative.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Yep - had a bit of time to spare.... will keep on posting now and then. Re Paul o'Grady I suspect you might get more notice by writing to him c/o BBC radio 2..with everyone using e mail a posted letter might just get noticed!

Just for info (again) here's another site that features Ruby Murray - apologies if its known already to you.

http://www.songbird.me/#artists/ruby-mu ... 0002000cb2

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I am constantly visiting that website David, it's quite unbelievable that her songs are still being listened to some 16 years after her departure and 57 or so years after her peak period. I agree wholeheartedly with one caption to a photo : - "A beautiful song beautifully sung" - 'When I Grow Too Old To Dream' - Ruby at her very best. I so well remember us chosing that song for the album that Norrie Paramor asked Ruby to record.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Yes its a great site and I am pleased you like it.. If you click on the links on the site you will see they welcome feedback so it is worth a try at letting them know that you can provide additional information if they would like it or just to say how much you appreciate Ruby's section on it and who designed the site and how they find out the information.

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks David, I'll give it a try.

A thought, why don't you start a new thread with a different title because your contributions are being buried under the title of 'PROBLEMS WITH THIS WEBSITE' ? All the data that you discovered may have 'fallen aside' which is a great pity.

Adioa Amigo, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thank you Gerald for all of your hard work in keeping the website going.