David Mathieson RIP

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

David Mathieson RIP

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have mentioned here in the past the name of David Mathieson a couple of times, and I am sorry to have to report that sadly he has recently died. He was like most of us a life-long fan of Ruby's and used to be in contact with her by letters right up to Ruby's passing. He was quite emotional when he told me this, saying how it pleased him to know she would have held and read his letters.

David Frankish telephoned me yesterday to say that he was unable to get through on the number he usually used to call his friend David, and was told that the number was no longer in service. We thought that either he had moved away, or perhaps he had passed away, and so David F suggested that perhaps there might be something in a local paper. This was a good idea, because by using the power of Google, I was able to find a couple of items in the Liverpool Echo which gave me the information, even though it was not what I wanted to read.

David was one year younger than me, and during one of our telephone conversations it emerged that both he and I had attended the opening night of Ruby's appearance at the London Palladium. Not only that, we had both waited at the Stage Door after the show to get her autograph. What a coincidence that we might have been standing next to each other all those years ago.

We have lost another good friend and fan.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: David Mathieson RIP

Post by Bernie Burgess »

This news is very distressing. I communicated with David in the past and found him to be a very genuine Ruby fan with many memories to discuss about her. He was a Probation Officer in LIverpool and did an excellent job supporting young offenders. The fact that he and Gerald attended the opening night of Ruby's London Palladium engagement shows the length of his admiration of Ruby.

I think David Frankish will be the one who will miss him most, they were constantly in touch with each other and became very good friends.

I offer my condolences to his family. - Adios Amigo.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

I am sorry to hear this sad news of the passing of such a devoted and lifelong fan of dear Ruby. May he rest in peace and deepest sympathy to all of his family and also to his good friend David Frankish.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I am pleased to be able to report that I have been successful in getting a letter to the two sisters of David, and one of them has replied to me.

I sent them our sincerest condolences, and gave them our website address so that if they wish they can see what we have posted here. In the reply, I was warmly thanked for my letter and told that they knew David had been a fan of Ruby's so they arranged for a photograph of her to be put in his coffin. Also included was a nice plastic laminated card giving a picture of David and some farewell words and I assume this was made available at the memorial service. The words on the back read as follows:

A smile for all, a heart of gold,
The very best the world could hold,
Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day.

There was also an order of service in which it mentions that "Softly, Softly" and "Smile" were both played.

The letter ends with the family sending me their love, and I am sure they won't mind if I pass it on to include other fans.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

Due to a sustained period of upheaval in my private life I was guilty of not commenting on the exchange of letters between David Mathieson's family and Gerald. David was quite obviously well liked and loved and he will be sadly missed. It is or course a fact that we can rely on Gerald, as we all do all too frequently, to respond on our behalf and he most certainly did so we must all thank him gratefully.

I personally will always remember David for his softly spoken voice over the telephone and his gentle, polite manner, we could all take a lesson from David.

Rest in peace David, a true and dedicated fan of Ruby.

Adios Amigos, Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

HI guys. Hope all friends on here are well?

Gerald, thank you for all your hard work on managing to contact David's sisters. How lovely that those two songs of Ruby's were played at David's funeral. From the messages I have read on here, David seems to have been a true gentleman and will be sadly missed by his friends and his two sisters. If they are reading this at any point, please accept my condolences on your loss.

Regards.

Martin