Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Interesting photo of Ruby

Post by 1952mgyb »

1952mgyb

Re: Interesting photo of Ruby

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.clickautographs.com/detail.php?id=962

Looks like another here...a signed photo on this link if any interest. Again apologies if known also.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friend,

I have a copy of the first photo but the second one is completely new to me, it's a very nice shot of 'My Precious Gem'. I must find ways of printing it off and linking it up with my memorabilia. Late Edit. Of course, it's not possible to print it off, - it's for sale.

Thank you so much for uploading these photos, they are quite a 'find'.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

If all else fails you could click on the photo to expand it and take a photo of the screen with a digital camera....just in case ask someone who is IT literate if its possible to download it and print it off.
Glad you enjoyed the finds.

David

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=14798197

On a sadder note there is a website dedicated to late stars etc ...Ruby is included and over 500 people have added tributes...the tributes are virtual flowers and cards...if this is too sad please delete this posting but in case you want to view it assuming that you were not aware of it of course. I do hope members are not upset by this link....not my intention at all.

David

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://m256.photobucket.com/image/ruby% ... g.html?o=9

Heres another find...again apologies if you are aware of it....I should really put them all on one post I suppose!

David

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello David,

The photo of the new car was taken on the sea front at Gt. Yarmouth in the summer of 1958. Ruby had just taken delivery of a brand new Vauxhall Cresta, it was the first one of that model. Very distinctive - a mixture of pink and grey and Ruby was delighted with the new car - so was I. The photo was taken by a local newspaper photographer and I have a copy of the newspaper shot but like all newspaper photos it's very grained but nevertheless it's a nice shot to have amongst my collection. - Thank you David.

Adios Amigo Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

What prompted me to add some of the links was watching a YouTube video of Ruby in the early 90s singing Softly Softly and looking at many of the appreciative comments despite it being late in her career and her voice not at its best. More people are fans than you might think. Why some TV producer hasnt jumped at the chance of a documentary type play of her life escapes me...the story has all the ingredients to draw a large audience particularly the backdrop of the 50s and how her life and career went from triumph to sadness. I keep thinking of who as a young actress would suit such a role if it ever happened and who would play her in later life.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David,
I'm in agreement with you, Ruby's life story would make a great film. I has everything that would be required, a humble beginning, valuable experience as a child performer, success, stardom, world record, love, world travel, humour, heartbreak, drama, tragedy, sadness, it's all there. We came close when I was approached about assisting with the making of a documentary -'Ruby and the Duke'. As good as it was a life story film would have been a better solution.

My thoughts still go back to the film that we have discussed before on the website, the life story of Jane Froman 'With a Song in my Heart' starring Susan Heyward. I am sure that Ruby's story would be equally as good.

When I win the Euro Millions I will invest in film making and have great fun casting the film and finding the right film producer. Well . . . . I can dream can't I???

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

You should e mail the producer of one of the TV or Radio morning shows introducing yourself and indicating (with examples) why a feature on Ruby would be interesting to the vievers etc and you would be available for interview...who knows might be worth a try and at worst all they can say is no.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

David, thank you very much for posting the links to the photographs. I have a few comments to add.

A couple of weeks after Ruby opened with Norman Wisdom at the London Palladium, she developed a very bad sore throat and couldn't even talk let alone sing. As she was the female star of the show she was rushed off to hospital to see what could be done. She was in hospital a few days, and the picture at gettyimages was taken when she left hospital to resume singing.

The second photograph at clickautographs I have seen before, even with the same writing on it, so perhaps it was when it was up for sale on ebay (which I did not get myself). Your link is to a very high quality picture, so it is good to have that.

The pictures on findagrave are quite likely to have come from this website, as they are all in our library. The one of the plaque on the wall I actually took myself! Don't worry about posting such a subject, David, we ourselves always especially remember Ruby during the months of December and March.

I don't think I have seen the photobucket one before, so it is a pity it is a small picture with low definition. Nevertheless it is good to see it.

I have not been able to view the flickr photograph, but in trying to I did discover that there is a dahlia with the name Ruby Murray - it could be named after her I suppose.

Your comments about getting something about Ruby's life on TV is so true. A few years ago at the time of the 50 year anniversary of having 5 songs in the Top Twenty in the same week, I wrote to all the major TV companies and to Terry Wogan and others on the radio to try and get something mentioned. Most just ignored me. However, Bernie was successful in getting EMI to release the wonderful Anthology collection of discs in that year, so we had something to celebrate. I also wondered if Ruby's name would figure in the BBC 4 series called "Legends" and although we made contact with the directors, nothing ever materialised. I suspect that the young programme controllers of today have in their own minds that there is no interest in Ruby!
Gerald

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I think if the powers that be took the time to read the story and considered the dramatic effect of the 50s it would be a great success so dont stop trying...maybe Desmond Carrington might be worth trying but maybe you have already. ..he has played some Ruby Murray songs in the past I think. I still think Bernie would make a great guest on a breakfast show.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.gettyimages.ca/Search/Search ... uby+murray+

If you click on this link and scroll down about one third of the way there are about twenty shots of Ruby each of which can be viewed individually. Not sure if all are known. Hope the link works.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks for the pictures David. Ruby looks very young in the first one.

I wonder who would be a possibility to play Ruby in a television drama of her life? I cant think of any actresses that resemble her in any way to be honest!