Ruby in pantomime 1962

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Ruby in pantomime 1962

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.its-behind-you.com/gallery294.html

Photo of Ruby in a 1962 pantomime. ..again if it's kmown apologies.

David

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby in pantomime 1962

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you David, I think the photograph might be new for some people.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I hesitate to add a disquieting voice regarding this production of 'Snow White'. The Impressario was a Nottingham business man called Fred Woodward, he owned a sound system business called Pam Sound.
Whilst Ruby was appearing in a summer season show in Margate we were approached by a 'booker' from within the Delfont Agency, a man called Michael Sullivan, who was at one time manager to Shirley Bassey. He asked both Ruby and I if we would be interested in appearing in a touring production of 'Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs' It was planned to tour the No.1 theatres throughout the country for at least a year. Financially the offer was, to say the least, pitiful but the length of the engagement was substantial Ted Rogers, who was managed(?) by the same booker - Keith Devon, was also offered an engagement in the show.

For openers, Mr.Woodward stipulated, at the very last minute, that there was to be no Walt Disney songs in the show.This announcement came after we had signed a contract. He refused to pay the royalty that was required. When we enquired what songs Ruby would be singing, we were told by the lady producer - "Anything from Ruby's own music library". The impact on both Ruby and myself was devastating, we both realized that the audiences would definitely feel cheated, they would fully expect to hear 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' and 'Whistle While You work' but they were to be denied. Time was passing and no scripts were handed out so we pressed the producer to send then urgently so that we had time to learn them before rehearsals commenced. A matter of only days before rehearsals started, the scripts, such as they were, arrived. They were tattered and torn and many pages were completely missing altogether. Ted Rogers rang Ruby to ask her if she had received her script and added that his was in bits and pieces.

Ruby and I discussed the possibility of pulling out of the show completely but in doing so the whole cast would lose a 12 month engagement and we couldn't face that situation. The lady producer even asked the principle members of the cast to get together and fill in all the gaping holes in the script themselves. It became a farcical situation and very embarrassing. How we ever managed to get the show on the road I will never know.

After the show had been 'thrown on' Mr. Woodward approached Ruby about using what at the time was a new innovation - a radio mike??? Ruby suffered endless problems whilst using this untried, supposedly revolutionary, microphone system. She had to compete with every taxi, police car and even shipping within reach of the antenna. I couldn't see Ruby having to continually face such embarrassment, night after night, so I suggested that she didn't use the radio microphone anymore. This resulted in almost a stand up fight between Fred Woodward and myself, as I stood there confronting him in my Prince's pearl droplet costume with white tights. The microphone was never used again throughout the whole tour.

Ted Rogers only suffered the show for a few weeks, he left, much to his relief, and had to be replaced. The pandemonium that reigned during that tour was like a nightmare. one that I will never forget. Looking back on the situation now I can raise a smile but at the time it was utterly farcical and very embarrassing

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I'm glad I posted the photo as Bernie's contribution makes great reading even if it the reality was a tad embarrasing at the time.

David

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thanks for the photo David. I think I had seen it before but it was good to see it again.

Bernie, what a stressful time you and dear Ruby had. It's good that you can look back and smile Bernie. Your account of it all was very interesting. I remember reading about the radio mike in the Joan Moules biogrpahy.