Joan Regan

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Joan Regan

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It was with sadness that I learned of the death of Joan Regan a couple of months ago. She died on the 12th September. As most of you will know, it was the decision of Joan in 1954 to leave the hit show Quite Contrary on BBC television that led to Ruby being introduced to take over the resident singer spot, and of course Ruby's career blossomed from then on. Here is a nice picture of Joan supplied to me by Bernie. Joan wrote a lovely Forward to Bernie's book about Ruby. Joan and Ruby were good friends for many years, and toured together at times and I have included a lovely colour photograph of them taken together.

Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: Joan Regan

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I was so sad when I heard of Joan Regan's passing, as Gerald has said she and Ruby were great friends. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting her personally but I wish that I had. An interesting little story about Joan - She had a fall, I think it was whilst she was having a shower and as a result she must have hit her head. She lost her memory and after recovery she had to re-learn all of her songs. She didn't hesitate when I asked her to write a 'Forward' for me book - THANK YOU JOAN - R.I.P.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Really nice photographs you have posted. The b&w one of Joan Regan is so evocative of the 50s.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

I am so sorry to hear this sad news about dear Joan. May she rest in peace. They really don't make stars like Joan, Ruby and Lita Roza any more. I wonder what the circumstances were and if it was reported in any papers etc.