New Biography Page

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

New Biography Page

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have for some time been thinking that we could really do with an update to the Biography page.

So I contacted Bernie and with his help I have completely re-vamped it so that it does not refer out to other biographies which we now know to be inaccurate, particularly in relation to the World Record of having 5 songs in the Top Twenty in the same week. It has been stated in a number of other documents, and also by no less a person than Terry Wogan when he interviewed Ruby, that Madonna beat Ruby's record. Some time ago one of our sadly now less active members (John Kendall) contacted the Guinness Book of Records to see what the truth was, and they stated categorically that this was not true - they confirmed that Ruby set the World Record. They indicated that the error (in Madonna's case and in all other claims such as The Beatles and Elvis Presley) probably relates to either using the Top Forty in place of the Top Twenty or a period longer than one week as the yardstick.

So now we know! My thanks to Bernie for supplying a couple of photographs, and most of the words, and to John for taking the trouble all those years ago to help establish the facts. If you are reading this John, then I hope you like the new biography.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: New Biography Page

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Gerald,

You have produced your finest contribution to date, what a remarkable piece of work you have done on the new BIOGRAPHY. I was delighted when you asked me to re-write the biography and the way you have made contributions and adjustments to the story it is simply remarkable. On behalf of all Ruby's fans/friends I would like to thank you most sincerely for your dedication and hard work. Over the years you have worked tirelessly on the website, sometimes without the appreciation that you justifiably deserve, but you have my undying appreciation and thanks for all that you have done on THE RUBY MURRAY WEBSITE.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Gerald & Bernie.

Well you two seem to have done a great job with the new Biography page it is really excellent and well written. I would also like to thank you Gerald for the mention of me in your post about the world record, it took a lot of emails to get a reply but got it in the end. You are quite right about the other artist claiming to have equalled Ruby's record of 5 records in the charts at the same time it did not happen, the charts was changed to the top 30 and the closes one to have 5 was Elvis and he did have 5 but the fifth one was number 21, so they can all get lost we know what we are talking about they don't.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well said John! :D

And thank you for your kind words.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hear hear and thank you to Gerald, Bernie and John for completing the biography page