It's a Great Day For the Irish

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

It's a Great Day For the Irish

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I'd like to wish everyone a Very Happy St Patrick's Day - It's a great day for the Irish.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: It's a Great Day For the Irish

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

'Tis the day for the wearing of the green!

And they won the 6 nations cup!
Gerald

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

It certainly was here in Liverpool....pubs seemed full all day!

By the way Bernie did you read the last post of mine about the direct e mail for The One Show producer or do you feel its not worthwhile pursuing it?

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

If you post the details again for me I will give it another try. I can't seem to get back to the post that you sent with the details in.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/whos ... llis.shtml

The link should take you to the email address for the producer of The One Show.....a guy called Seb Illis
Might be worth a try. ...suggest you go into detail on five vhart entries in 55 etc and being one of the first pop stars. ..might be worth any contacts you have e mailing as well?

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello David,
I've had problems trying to send you a copy of an email that I have sent to Seb illis but I have failed to get it away. In desperation I am posting a copy to you this way,

Sir,
My name is Bernie Burgess, I am an 85yr old pensioner living in retirement in Spain. My late wife was a show business phenomenon in as much as she still is a world record holder by having had 5 hit records in the Top Twenty - all at the same time. In 1955 she had a hit record in the charts every single week for the entire year. During that year she a had 7 Top Twenty hits. Her record of 5 hits at the same time still stands to this day, not even Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles or Michael Jackson have actually beaten her world record. Her career and her life story are both extraordinary and worthy of being made into a film. In the latter part of her life she struggled with a massive drink problem, a struggle that sadly she lost.

Throughout her life her sense of humour was outstanding. From a child performer, at the age of 5yrs old, she performed in public and received payment. She was spotted by a BBC television producer - Richard Afton who booked her to appear at the Alexandra Palace aged just 12yrs. She toured extensively in Irish shows, both north and south of the border and eventually one of these shows, 'Yankee Doodle Blarney crossed The Irish Sea and came to England. The very same T.V. producer - Richard Afton saw her appearing at The Metropolitan Theatre Edgware Road and recognised her and instantly booked her to appear in a successful show he was producing for the BBC. - 'Quite Contrary' and her success was instant and stunning. She captivated millions of T.V. viewers. She was immediately signed to Columbia Records (EMI) and sold records in millions. She co-starred with Norman Wisdom at The London Palladium and appeared in The Royal Variety Command Performance in front of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
I have written a book about Ruby's life, her career, her success and her battle against alcoholism, - 'RUBY... My Precious Gem' which is on Kindle.

I feel quite confident that you will find Ruby's story is well worthy of programming.

With my respect and very best wishes.

Bernie Burgess. email : - bernieburgess2@gmail.com

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David - and all of Ruby's fans/friends.

I have received a rapid reply from Seb illis (The One Show) It is swift and polite which pleases me. In my previous dealings with 'those in power' in today's world I have been somewhat disappointed by their response and lack of knowledge about anything before The Beatles. but this man is on the ball quickly and shows respect, - most welcome. Reading between the lines I get the feeling that my submission will get 'passed by' but we must wait and see. Here is the reply to my approach. : -

Hello,

Many thanks for your email Bernie. I’ll pass this on to the team to see if anybody would like to pursue it. If nobody gets in touch directly, then it is unlikely we’d pursue the story, but I wish you all the best with the book. Thanks very much for taking the time to write, and for thinking of us at The One Show

Kind regards,

Seb

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

You have done well so lets live in hope...even if nothing comes of it it's in the system and could be picked up later. Keep the pressure on with any showbiz contacts you have in radio expat shows in Spain and maybe write to music press etc...
Cheers
David

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

You could even try writing to the producer of the BBC Four 'Legends' series (just featured Doris Day). Ruby's 5 chart successes in 1955 may be a suitable subject. I suspect if you phone the BBC they will give you the contact address etc or just write c/o BBC Channel Four.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi there,

Yes the "Legends" series on BBC4 seems a good option. Also Bernie, have you ever considered contacting RTE TV in Ireland or Ulster TV with ruby's 60th anniversary next year getting closer?

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

PS: Take it The One show never got back to you Bernie?