Ruby's Fontana Tracks

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Ruby's Fontana Tracks

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

A few weeks ago I learned that a certain Chris Adams of Lynx Music UK claimed to have unearthed Ruby's Fontana Recordings and that it was his intention to get them transferred to C.D.(s) I was delighted with the news and made contact with Chis. He urgently needed photos and press cuttings of Ruby's recording times for his project and I gladly volunteered to upload dozens of photos and press cuttings and hurriedly printed them off to 'Forward' to him. I waited to hear from Chris but to my dismay there was silence. He had posted his intentions on a website called Whirligig together with his website address and a telephone number. He even asked me to suggest a name for the forthcoming collection which would be on one, or two C.D.s. Despite numerous attempts to reach him via the telephone number he had posted I could never get an answer. I was utterly confused but I have continued to try to contact Chris.

I now need to TRY to explain what has happened about the project of Chris Adams of Lynx Music and his plans for Ruby's Fontana Tracks. Everything was progressing well until he posted a message on Ruby's website. He detailed what his intentions were and itemised all the tracks that he intended to transfer to C.D.(s). Sadly the response was such that (I ASSUME) he decided that it was so disappointingly small and in this case he again ASSUMED that future sales would not justify his financial outlay, consequently he has backed off and will not be going ahead. This is very disappointing. The fact that the website has laid dormant for so long has caused the majority of members to drift away because nothing of importance seemed to be happening. The numbers of active members is now insignificant and Gerald and I are more or less carrying the banner ourselves. I must add my sincere thanks to Gerald, he has worked unceasingly for many years on the website and it is a credit to his hard work and devotion. In closing I must emphasize that I am ASSUMING what has taken place but reality suggests that I am not far off of the mark.

I am still keeping in touch with 'The Neighbours' in Belfast regarding the naming of the local park in 'The Neighbourhood'. The latest information is that the naming will probably take place in September. It has been a long wait for movement but I hope that September will be fruitful. I underline the fact that I devoted a great deal of time, effort, to say nothing of expense, in an attempt to bring this project about. Watch this space!!!

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Ruby's Fontana Tracks

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for letting us know that, Bernie, I was wondering what was happening.

I think your assumption may be right - Chris Adams was quite keen to post here about what he was trying to achieve and I helped him to become a posting member, which resulted in him giving us the details of the songs he was trying to include. I noted that he was also hoping to have the two Decca songs, in addition to the Irish songs and singles from Philips/Fontana that have never ever been on a CD. However, he may have noticed that there was a very small response from the very people he had hoped to purchase any new release, and decided it was not worth his time and financial outlay (for he explained that he did not own the masters but was negotiating with the owners to use them for a fee).

I hope I am wrong in this. If Chris does look in here again, he may think it is still worthwhile to get the songs onto the shelves and website sellers - if you take a look on Ebay there are still several companies selling previous CD releases, and some of them are available as downloads. They could well turn out to be "sleepers" that over the years generate sufficient return without breaking any records. I particularly like all the songs on The Spinning Wheel and This is Ireland, and would be willing to give the CD versions publicity on this website which might attract visitors to the collection.

Thank you also for the update on the park naming scheme. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Gerald

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I am convinced that efforts should continue to get publicity about Ruby ....eg five singles in the charts top 20 in 1955 etc .....on a TV or radio show of some kind in order to bring her to the attention of a wider audience. I know this has been tried and disappointment sets in but it needs to continue as therin lies the future.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thank you David for your supreme optimism.

From experience, whenever I have tried to discuss 'musical matters' concerning RUBY MURRAY, those 'in charge', on the end of a telephone line, are from a much younger generation and usually their reply is "WHO?". It is especially hard to try to familiarize the younger generations with music from the past when they are totally consumed by today's 'noise' In my opinion, trying to educate today's generations by attempting to explain that there is something called MUSIC out there it is usually dismissed and/or shrugged off.

Of course I'm old fashioned BUT I am so glad I am, I can continue to enjoy 'real' music and have the pleasure of being able to switch off today's DIN.

The Old Lad himself... Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/brie ... four.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/brie ... four.shtml

This is just a suggestion and I defer to your knowledge but you have to present a clear case why a piece on Ruby Murray would interest viewers. ..if necessary get someone with experience to write it for you...maybe a showbiz contact or similar. ..bbc four might be worth applying to for a one off documentary or section in a programe about her life that may be part of a uk show business nostalgia season perhaps presentation and persistence are key I would think but as this is outside my experience I could be wrong. . Not sure but the links may give access to contacts at bbc4. Of course it's a long shot.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David

I tried to log on to these two avenues this morning but currently they are 'Not Working At the Moment - Try Again Later' I will try again later but currently I am packing in readiness to move back to the U.K.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

This is indeed disappointing news but understandable from Chris's point of view I suppose. I wonder if there are any forgotten Ruby recordings hidden in the Decca/Fontana archives that might come to light.

How about releasing the cds to commemorate Ruby's 60th anniversary next year?

Martin

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Message for David,

Your enthusiasm to keep Ruby's name 'alive' and for pressing for action to gain further 'publicity' on her behalf is extremely pleasing. At this moment I'm in the throws of packing my worldly possessions for transporting back to the U.K. It's an enormous task which I am having to do alone, however I will succeed. I arrive back in England on August 28th and will need time to settle in but when this is achieved I will take up the reigns once again and see what can be done with regard to promoting Ruby and her past achievements. As you rightly suggest, Ruby's past achievements are outstanding and need to be brought back into focus. In recent months a whole host of Ruby's recordings have been accumulating on the internet for the world to see, this wouldn't happen if there was no interest so I take heart from this.

Since I made my entrance on to Timmer's creation (The Ruby Murray Website)I have happily managed to achieve quite a few projects by way of promoting Ruby and her achievements. I wrote and launched a biography of Ruby's life and career and our married life - 'Ruby... My Precious Gem'. I managed to twist an arm or two at E.M.I and succeeded in getting them to release the Box Set of 4 C.D.s, (with the remarkable assistance of Gerald and Brian whose knowledge re Ruby's recordings is unsurpassed). The Anthology - 'Golden Anniversary' Release. I latched on to a local Belfast Councillor's attempt to get a commemorative plaque installed and gently persuaded the local Council, (with the help of the Lord Mayor - Councillor Wallace Brown - a Ruby Murray fan) to fund and create a plaque which is now proudly displayed in the Ulster Hall. The unveiling of the plaque was a tremendous occasion which was attended by many Ruby Murray fans, notably our website STAR Gerald and his wife Rosemary. Gerald did a remarkable job on a video of my speech at the unveiling ceremony which happily found it's way onto the Internet. I participated and appeared in a documentary about Ruby which was 'presented' by Duke Special a local Belfast singer/song writer. I am still hoping to assist the local neighbours in Belfast to persuade the local authorities to have a local park named after Ruby. Our two 'offsprings' - Julie and Tim flew with me to Belfast to appear in a local show held in the school where Ruby attended, to help raise money to fund their project of either street naming OR a local park. It has taken a very long time but the time is getting near when we shall learn whether all our efforts have succeeded. Perhaps we shall soon see the RUBY MURRAY PARK(???)

Who knows, we may have more acheivements to come. I fully intend to continue to find ways of promoting RUBY>

Adios Amigo - Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

How about utilising Val Doonican, Terry Wogan, Gloria Hunniford?

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Once I'm settled in I will consider all avenues and renew my efforts. Can't make any promises though.

Adios Amigos Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Prompted by David's suggestion about promoting Ruby and her achievements , despite being surrounded by packing boxes, ready for transporting back to the U.K. I have roughly drafted a brief outline of Ruby's story, her achievements, her successes and her failures with a view of sending copies to T.V. Documentary makers. I invite comments and suggestions on how to improve my piece. I have sent a copy to Michael Beattie the documentary film maker asking for his opinion on the piece.

Hello Michael,

Are you sticking out a mile?
I would appreciate your professional opinion on a story that I think would make a fantastic documentary. I intend to bring this unique story to the attention of documentary film makers.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

We are now approaching a celebration period – Ruby Murray's unique world record was achieved in the Spring of 1955 when she created a world record in the recording world. She had 5 hit records in the TOP TWENTY, all at the same time. It’s a world record which to this day has never been broken, not even The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson or Madonna have managed to break her record. A fact that was confirmed by The Guinness Book of Records. Now with the changes made to the Hit Parade no-one will ever be able to take her record away from her. She had at least one hit record in the charts every single week throughout 1955. Her achievements were outstanding, apart from creating a world record she appeared in a long running show with Norman Wisdom at The London Palladium, was chosen to appear in the Royal Variety Command Performance, which was attended by Her Majesty the Queen and Prince Philip, and another Royalty appearance in ‘40 Years of Peace’ attended by Princess Anne, to whom she was introduced.

Her life story was a helter skelter one and one that has never been told in full and it has all the ingredients for an outstanding documentary, her struggle in her childhood, a domineering Father, her evacuation away from the bombings in Belfast and being mistreatment by a Farmer and his wife, an experience that scarred her for life, television success at 12 yrs of age when she was spotted by an Irish T.V, Producer, Touring in 'Fit-up' shows in Ireland - North and South on the back of a lorry, Crossing the Irish Sea with an Irish show, being re-discovered by the same T.V. producer who booked her for a television series 'Quite Contrary'. An over night sensation from her first appearance leading to a recording test for Columbia Records. Then came her 5 hits in the charts in the Spring of 1955. In 1957 she met and married one of The 4 Jones Boys which resulted in a family feud which was deep, firey and never ending. Being in the middle and being torn apart. Taking to alcohol and eventually becoming dependent. A marriage breakdown, battling with alcoholism, developing cirrhosis of the liver and finally Cancer of the liver which sadly brought about her demise,

In recent months there has been an upsurge of interest in Ruby's recordings and currently the Internet is displaying a whole host of her records. Her website, - http://www.rubymurray,org continues to be a source of great interest. There are signs that the younger generations are becoming interested in her recordings
The story has everything, - a hard childhood, struggle, massive success, comedy, laughter, tragedy, marriage breakdown, alcoholism, reuniting with her first love and losing her battle against alcoholism and finally her passing. All the ingredients for a wonderful 'life story' documentary.

What do you think Michael?

Adios Amigo. Bernie (Burgess) email : - bernieburgess2@gmail.com

I invite comments, criticisms, suggestions on how to improve it.

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I think you have done a first rate job of it...I will have a closer read and if I can add anything I will do. The more you can pass it round people in the know including any veteran entertainers or broadcasters the better. Its got to be worth a try . Maybe Ruby fans could e mail the BBC local stations etc to request songs whilst mentioning the anniversary etc and even suggest a documentary on bbc 4 or radio 2.
David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David.

I have tried many times to log on to the addresses you posted in connection with Documentary sources but they both appear to be unavailable. However, I have emailed some details to the lady who appears to be the No.1 at the BBC Documentary Department. Here is my submission : -

Hello Emma,

My name is Bernie Burgess. I'm an 85yr old ex professional in the world of Entertainment. My ex wife was RUBY MURRAY, a singing STAR from the 50s. As yet, no-one has ever made a full documentary of her life, her incredible achievements and her massive recording success which resulted in her becoming a world record holder in the music world. Below I have sketched out a brief glimpse of a remarkable lady who took the music world by storm - starting in late 54 and culminating in the Spring of '55 into unsurpassed recording success. I trust that you will look favourably at this unique story of a gentle lady who lit up my life when we were married in 1957.
Kindest regards . Bernie Burgess, email :- bernieburgess2@gmail.com

We are now approaching a celebration period – Ruby Murray's unique world record was achieved in the Spring of 1955 when she created a world record in the recording world. She had 5 hit records in the TOP TWENTY, all at the same time. It’s a world record which to this day has never been broken, not even The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson or Madonna have managed to break her record. A fact that was confirmed by The Guinness Book of Records. Now with the changes made to the Hit Parade no-one will ever be able to take her record away from her. She had at least one hit record in the charts every single week throughout 1955. Her achievements were outstanding, apart from creating a world record she appeared in a long running show with Norman Wisdom at The London Palladium, was chosen to appear in the Royal Variety Command Performance, which was attended by Her Majesty the Queen and Prince Philip, and another Royalty appearance in ‘40 Years of Peace’ attended by Princess Anne, to whom she was introduced.

HER LIFE STORY was a helter skelter one and one that has never been told in full and it has all the ingredients for an outstanding documentary, her struggle in her childhood, a domineering Father, her evacuation away from the bombings in Belfast and being mistreatment by a Farmer and his wife, an experience that scarred her for life, television success at 12 yrs of age when she was spotted by an Irish T.V, Producer, Touring in 'Fit-up' shows in Ireland - North and South on the back of a lorry, Crossing the Irish Sea with an Irish show, being re-discovered by the same T.V. producer who booked her for a television series 'Quite Contrary'. An over night sensation from her first appearance leading to a recording test for Columbia Records. Then came her 5 hits in the charts in the Spring of 1955. In 1957 she met and married one of The 4 Jones Boys which resulted in a family feud which was deep, firey and never ending. Being in the middle and being torn apart. Taking to alcohol and eventually becoming dependent. A marriage breakdown, battling with alcoholism, developing cirrhosis of the liver and finally Cancer of the liver which sadly brought about her demise,

In recent months there has been an upsurge of interest in Ruby's recordings and currently the Internet is displaying a whole host of her records. Her website, - http://www.rubymurray,org continues to be a source of great interest. There are signs that the younger generations are becoming interested in her recordings
The story has everything, - a hard childhood, struggle, massive success, comedy, laughter, tragedy, marriage breakdown, alcoholism, reuniting with her first love and losing her battle against alcoholism and finally her passing. All the ingredients for a wonderful 'life story' documentary.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

Well done. If the powers that be have any sense they will get back to you..for the life of me even as a casual.observer of this site and Rubys music it offers great potential for a documentary programme. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David

I've got everything crossed - even my eyes.

I found a 50s radio programme( but I think it's about to come to an end )- it's called Fab 50 - or something like that. I have sent them a story in the hope that when, and if, they continue to broadcast they will look favourably on Ruby and her recordings and include one or two of them in the coming months.

Adios Amigo