More Coverage for Ruby's Records.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

More Coverage for Ruby's Records.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I can't remember how I did it but I have found a radio programme that features 50s music. The name is fab50s,radio (or similar name). it's presented by two fellas - Peter and Geoff. I contacted them and informed them that I was approaching documentary film makers with a view of hopefully interesting them in making a documentary on Ruby's life and career. They show great interest and in fact they are comtemplating producing a 'Special' on Ruby and her records. Currently they have several weeks programmes already scheduled but after that they are promising a 'Special' on Ruby and her music. It will also combine other 50s female singers of that era. Here is a copy of an interesting email I received today, -

Geoff Kemp <geoff.kemp@live.co.uk>

3:45 AM (12 hours ago)

to me, paul
Hello Bernie

Thanks for the info. I wish you luck with trying to get documentary makers interested in Ruby, it would make a good programme and, as you say, there is interest in Ruby's songs again. Indeed, there is a lot of interest in all of the music of the 1950's, helped, in no small way by the BBC programme "Meet the Midwife". Unfortunately BBC radio, both national and local, do not recognise this and continue to claim that there is little demand for 50's music.

As well as producing several radio shows each week, Paul and I own a large gift shop and country store in The New Forest. It is run by Paul's nephew, but we still have a hand in it, we sell large quantities of CD's, mostly nostalgic stuff and particularly 1950's, and we are always surprised at how many young people buy them.

Your e-mail has made me think about doing one of our "Specials" featuring Ruby's recordings, probably as part of a programme featuring British lady hitmakers of the 50's. I'll let you know when we are going to do it, it will be few weeks as we have already got the next few programmes planned.

A couple of questions for you ! Are you still involved in the music business and where are you living, as we are always interested in where are listeners are based and on which of the many stations who broadcast "The Fabulous Fifties" they have heard us.

Do, please, keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on with the documentary makers.

Be Lucky
Geoff Kemp. e-mail geoff.kemp@live.co.uk

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: More Coverage for Ruby's Records.

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Did the Ruby special ever take place?

Regarding "Call the Midwife" and other programmes based in the 1950s, it amazes me that they only seem to feature music from American artistes and only very rarely by our UK singers, male and female, who in my opinion were actually better than their American counterparts.