Guinness Book Of World Records

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Guinness Book Of World Records

Post by Jk »

The two Guinness World Records that Ruby now holds are:

Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female)

On the UK singles chart dated 18 March 1955, Ruby Murray (UK, 1935-96) achieved five simultaneous Top 20 hits, with "Softly, Softly" (her only UK chart-topper) at No.2, "Let Me Go Lover" at No.5, "Happy Days and Lonely Nights" at No.14, "Heartbeat" at No.15 and "If Anyone Finds This, I Love You" (a duet with Anne Warren) at No.17. The Belfast-born songstress' feat remains unmatched by a female singer in the 62-year history of the UK singles chart.

Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles

Four acts have achieved five simultaneous Top 20 hits on the UK singles chart. They are: Ruby Murray (UK, 1935-96), with "Softly, Softly" at No.2, "Let Me Go Lover" at No.5, "Happy Days and Lonely Nights" at No.14, "Heartbeat" at No.15 and "If Anyone Finds This, I Love You" (a duet with Anne Warren) at No.17 on 18 March 1955; Bill Haley and his Comets (USA, Haley: 1925-81), with "Rockin' Thru the Rye" at No.4, "The Saints Rock 'n Roll" at No.11, "Rock Around the Clock" at No.13, "Razzle Dazzle" at No.17 and "See You Later, Alligator" at No.19 on 28 September 1956; Elvis Presley (USA, 1935-77), with "Party" at No.5, "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" at No.13, "All Shook Up" at No.15, "Paralyzed" at No.17 and "Got a Lot o' Livin’ to Do" at No.19 on 18 October 1957; and Michael Jackson (USA, 1958-2009), with "Man in the Mirror" at No.2, "Billie Jean" at No.10, "Thriller" at No.12, "Smooth Criminal" at No.13 and "Beat It" at No.19 on 11 July 2009.

These are the entries that are now on the Guinness World Records database. I'm delighted that we could put the record(s) straight!

Ruby will still be regarded as the holder of both records until such time as someone achieves six simultaneous Top 20 hits. If that person is male, Ruby will remain the holder of the first record. If that person is female, Ruby will lose both records. If someone else achieves five simultaneous Top 20 hits, male or female, Ruby will still hold both records. No preference is given to the original record holder on the database or in the book in the event of a tie, but Ruby's achievement is obviously more significant as the person who first set the record. I hope that makes the situation clear.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Re: Guinness Book Of World Records

Post by Bernie Burgess »

BRILLIANT!!!! Again, well done John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you again for all your hard work, John.

A great achievement to have it all in writing, and it means that the words on our Home Page can still stand as true.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Just had the 3rd record confirmed. See Below.
Hello John,

Good news. The third Ruby Murray record has been confirmed, written, submitted and approved. Here are the details (as you'll see, much of the further info is the same as the other two records):

Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female)
Ruby Murray (UK, 1935-96) had at least one single in the UK Top 20 for 52 consecutive weeks between 3 December 1954 and 25 November 1955. The Belfast-born singer's chart run began with debut single "Heartbeat" and concluded when "I'll Come When You Call" spent its seventh and final week in the Top 20. "Softly, Softly", "Happy Days and Lonely Nights", "Let Me Go Lover", "If Anyone Finds This, I Love You" and "Evermore" also sustained Murray's chart presence during this period.

Further info:

During Murray's chart run, she also set the record for the most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female). She achieved five singles on the chart dated 18 March 1955 (at Nos. 2, 5, 14, 15 and 17) and, almost 60 years on, her achievement remains unmatched by a female solo artist on the UK chart. Murray's mark was later equalled by Bill Haley and his Comets in 1956, Elvis Presley in 1957 and Michael Jackson in 2009, and all four acts hold the overall record for the most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles.

Other female contenders include Doris Day (37 consecutive Top 20 weeks with three singles in 1954), Lady Gaga (36 weeks in 2009), Beyoncé (30 weeks in 2008-09), Katy Perry (30 weeks in 2010-11), Rihanna (27 weeks in 2012-13), Jessie J (25 weeks in 2011) and Adele (19 weeks in 2011). Kimbra achieved 26 consecutive weeks as featured vocalist on Gotye's 2012 chart-topper "Somebody that I Used to Know". Judy Collins' "Amazing Grace" (released in 1970), which at 67 weeks remains the UK single by a solo female with the most cumulative weeks on the chart, managed just 13 successive weeks in the Top 20, in 1971.

Murray's 52-week stay on the UK chart featured seven of her 10 UK hits. "You Are My First Love" (No.16 in 1956), "Real Love" (No.18 in 1958) and "Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye" (No.10 in 1959) complete the singer's list of UK hit singles.

Murray released six singles between January and October 1955 alone, including her only No.1, "Softly, Softly".

When "Softly, Softly" reached No.1 on 18 February 1955, Murray (b. 29 March 1955) became the youngest singer to top the UK singles chart, aged 19 years 10 months 20 days. At that time, the UK chart was just two years and three months old (Al Martino's "Here in My Heart" was the UK's first No.1 record, on 14 November 1952).

In 1954-55, the UK chart was officially a Top 20. Nowadays, the Top 75 is regarded as the official portion of the chart.

Murray died of liver cancer on 17 December 1996, aged 61.

It means that Ruby Murray now has three official Guinness World Records:

Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female) - 5 singles on 18 March 1955
Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles - 5 (held jointly with Bill Haley & his Comets, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson)
Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female) - 52 weeks from 3 December 1954 to 25 November 1955

All three records are now 'live' on the Guinness World Records database.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

A tremendous effort on your part John - it must give you a great deal of satisfaction. We are all grateful to you - well done! Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

And Well Done John from me too! A fantastic achievement - nearly as good as Ruby's! :roll:
Gerald

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

There is a recent post on Whirligig asking after Bernie.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/

Message boards on 1950s Tv about Quite Contrary TV programme . Post is 18 Oct 2014 by William Brown

"Thanks to Jelly's Radio Times discovery I have now relocated the very first edition of Quite Contrary.

Wednesday, Nov 4th 1953. It continued on a monthly basis thereafter and was followed by More Contrary when it ended.
Joan Regan sang in the first series, Ruby Murray thereafter .
It seems there may have been a further series called "Still Contrary"? I cant remember this one personally.
I'm sure this info will be of interest to Bernie (Ruby's husband) as he can now trace each show. (Haven't seen him posting lately.)....................ctd"

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David,

Just read your posting and I've re-visited Whirligig to reply to 'William' I asked whether his discovery was a 'Mention' of 'Quite Contrary' or an actual episode- I await a reply. -

Adios Amigo, Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Just had an email from the Guinness Book Of Records to update me.

As far as the website is concerned, it's Guinness World Records' policy not to upload any records to the website until the book in which the records are scheduled to appear is published. In this case, it will be September 2015 at the earliest before you'll be able to search for and see Ruby's records on the website. I appreciate that this is not ideal, but keeping the records under wraps until the book is out definitely makes sense.

Thank you again for all your assistance. I'll make sure you're acknowledged in the 2016 edition as a small token of my appreciation.

Best wishes,

Matthew

I replied to Matthew and sent him the song "The Very First Christmas Of All" he replied.

Hi John,

What a beautiful song. I'd never heard it before. I love Ruby's incredible, crystal-clear vocals and it's really put me in the Christmas spirit. I'd say it's certainly up there with the best festive songs.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I couldn't agree more, it's a beautiful song beautifully sung. I will try to contact 'Nick' on bayfm radio and see if he will include the song as a request from me.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi John

Thank you very much for finding out this information for us. It must have taken you a great deal of time and effort for which we are all very grateful

Cheers!

Martin

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello All members. I have now put Ruby's GBR certificates in the library they are under PHOTOS.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

John

You certainly must feel immensely proud of your achievement and rightly so. You have worked tirelessly in conjunction with The Guinness Book of Records to be able to reveal the fact that Ruby achieved no less than 3 WORLD RECORDS and also to be able to display them on her website. Top marks John - well done! - Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Thanks a lot Bernie, it means a lot to know my achievement is appreciated. Wish Ruby was here to see them.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Jk wrote:Hello All members. I have now put Ruby's GBR certificates in the library they are under PHOTOS.
Thank you John for all your terrific work in finally getting put to rest the ridiculous myth that Ruby's World Record was beaten by Madonna! I will be making a new design of the Home Page for this website and I plan to feature your marvellous photograph on it so that anyone looking in for the first time will see immediately what the truth is.

By the way, your photograph is absolutely perfect in showing every little detail, including the official stamps on the bottom right of each certificate.

Again, Well Done! :)
Gerald