Re: Guinness Book Of World Records

Post by Jk »

Thank you Gerald.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Thank you very much for posting the GBR certificates. They are really great and the new home page looks amazing.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello to everyone. Ever since I got the certificates from Guinness world records I Have sent Matthew a Christmas message from me and all Ruby Murray fans. Matthew was extremely helpful and did a lot of work to get everything correct he put a lot of work into it. He always replies to my messages and sends all his Christmas wishes to all Ruby fans. Matthew has just sent me an update on the current records as it stands at the moment which I will post below.

Hello John,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, and I wish you, your family and friends, and Ruby Murray fans everywhere a very enjoyable and peaceful Christmas.

Ruby's world records are still going strong:

'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female)' - 5
'Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female)' - 52 weeks (3 December 1954 to 25 November 1955)

As I think I told you last Christmas, the third record, 'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles' overall, which Ruby shared with Bill Haley & his Comets, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson, was broken by Ed Sheeran's 16 Top 20 hits on 16 March 2017, but the details of Ruby's achievement remain on our database alongside the new record.

I don't know how much you follow the UK singles chart nowadays, but a ruling introduced in July 2017 to limit an act to just three hits in the Top 100 (to prevent one act monopolising the chart in the way Sheeran did on 16 March 2017), should ensure that Ruby holds on to her record for the 'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female)' indefinitely, as it's now impossible for anyone to have more than three hits in the Top 20 - let alone the Top 100 - at the same time. That's surely worth celebrating this Christmas!

With very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2019.

Matthew

Hope you all enjoy Christmas and New Year
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

JK (John) has posted an update to the situation regarding Ruby and the Guinness Book of Records in another thread, so I have taken the opportunity to repost it here, so that it can be kept in context with all the other postings on this thread. As far as we are concerned, never mind Ed Sheeran and electronic downloads, Ruby created and still holds the world record for the greatest number of recordings in the Top 20! As Bernie often says, "the first person to create a World Record is still the holder until it has been beaten".

This Year he sent me this Jan 2020

I've just checked the Guinness World Records website and I'm pleased to inform you that Ruby Murray's two current records are still present and correct: Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female) and Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female). Undoubtedly, she would still have a share in that third record, for Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles overall, if the Official Charts Company had placed restrictions on the number of simultaneous hits allowed by one act as soon as streaming data was introduced to the UK chart, but that's all water under the bridge now. It's definitely worth keeping hold of that third certificate, though!

With very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2020.

Regards,

Matthew
Gerald

Jk

Re: Guinness Book Of World Records Update Dec 2020

Post by Jk »

I have just had my yearly update from Matthew at "The Guinness Book Of World Records". We always keep in touch at Christmas and this is part of his email to me this year.

I'm busy working on the 2022 edition of Guinness World Records. It seems a long time ago that we were preparing those three Ruby Murray records, and I'm pleased to say that nothing has changed in the last 12 months, with her titles for most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female) and most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female) still going strong now that we're into the seventh decade since her chart success. She also still gets an honourable mention in the record she lost to Ed Sheeran in March 2017 for most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles overall.

Wishing you and Ruby Murray fans all around the UK and the world a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2021.

Best wishes,

Matthew
Regards
John.

Donald Hill

Post by Donald Hill »

Best wishes to all Ruby's fans and Merry Christmas and lets hope for a far better 2021.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you John, this is good news among all the bad news we have had for 2020. It is good to know that when I was 15, I chose to be a fan of someone whose world records would still be standing all these years later! What a grand achievement!
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

I agree Gerald not many artist can say they have held a world record that long.
Regards
John.

Jk

Post by Jk »

I have just had my annual update from Mathew White from the Guinness Book OF Records, this is what he had to say

I'm delighted with the popularity of the Guinness World Records thread on rubymurray.org, and to see the certificates proudly displayed on the homepage. Good news, too, about Belfast City Council honouring Ruby with the Ruby Murray Village Green. Maybe you should think about Belfast as your next holiday destination, so that you can have a picnic or a glass of bubbly on Ruby Murray Village Green!

I'm still working at Guinness (from home, thankfully) as their music consultant, and once again I can confirm that two of Ruby's three world records are still going strong: Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female) and Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female). I'm sending you screenshots of the records as they appear on our database, attached to this email. And shorter versions of the records are still on our website, if I haven't mentioned it before:

Regards
John K
Regards
John.