Snippet of info I came across if of any interest

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Snippet of info I came across if of any interest

Post by 1952mgyb »

"In 1960 Eddie Calvert was invited by orchestra leader, Norrie Paramor and their mutual friends Ruby Murray and Michael Holliday to record an extended-play single with four tracks. Calvert played Silent Night and on another track he, Murray and Holliday teamed up in a version of Good Luck, Good Health, God Bless You. The single, released by Columbia Records achieved some success in Britain but was more popular in Australia and South Africa". If this is already noted on this site apologies but I thought it might bring back a memory or two.

Bernie Burgess

Re: Snippet of info I came across if of any interest

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I must say that it brought back a few memories for me. If my memory serves me correctly Eddie Calvert went to live in South Africa and I believe that is where he died. I must be honest, I found Eddie to be a little on the 'loud' side, especially on the golf course which didn't go down very well with fellow golfers. He also was known for bossing people around. I'm sure that I will be corrected BUT wasn't his big hits 'Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White' and "Oh Mien Pa Pa'???

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Snippet of info I came across if of any interest

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

He certainly had a hit with "Cherry Pink" (I have a copy on 78 rpm in my loft!) and his other big hit was, I think, "Roses of Picardy". But I am sure your friends on Whirligig will put you right, Bernie!

Wasn't the EP re-released as a tribute to the marriage of Charles and Diana?
Gerald