When I grow too old to dream

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

When I grow too old to dream

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Bernie mentioned in one of his posts that he was surprised to see in YouTube the number of plays of this song.
My mother died a few weeks ago at the grand age of 96. She was always very fond of Ruby and went to see some of her shows in the late 50's at Blackpool and in Belfast. As a little tribute to her I made a DVD-slideshow of some old family photos and videos as a keepsake for her great grandchildren. For the start of the background music I used Ruby's recording of 'When I grow too old to dream' as it seemed most appropiate. Of course the younger members of the family have never heard of Ruby but many who have seen the DVD have been touched by the lovely voice singing an old and almost forgotten song. I have never heard anyone sing this song with more sincerity and it now has a special place in my memories of Ruby's music.

Incidentally, I happened to catch a bit of a TV documentary on the life of the late Larry Grayson. Part of the background music was Ruby's record of 'Knock on any door'. Its always good to hear an airing of Ruby's recordings after all these years.

Cheers, Teddy O'Neil

Bernie Burgess

Re: When I grow too old to dream

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Teddy,

I am delighted that 'When I Grow Too Old To Dream' is to your liking. It's a beautiful song (beautifully sung) and I still have mental pictures in my mind of the living room in our home in Oxshott where Ruby and I sat delving through a mountain of wonderful songs compiling a list to make up an album for Ruby to record. I'm pleased to say I introduced the song to Ruby. It will always be one of my special favourites.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Welcome back, Teddy, it seems the latest method for getting back on this forum has worked for you! :)
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi teddy,

I am so sorry to hear about your dear mother passing on, may she rest in peace.

Yes you are right about Ruby's version of this song. She sings it with such feeling. I must look up that documentary on Larry Grayson. I wonder if it is on youtube

Martin