News Regarding Park Naming

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

News Regarding Park Naming

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends/Fans.

I'd like to bring you up to date regarding the possible naming of a new park in the 'The Village' the area where Ruby was born, bred and educated. I was requested to write a letter to the Councillor in charge of Parks & Gardens within the Belfast City Council. It is hoped that if enough 'persuasion' is heaped upon him he just MIGHT consider naming the new park in 'The Village' after RUBY. The park is due to be opened in the New Year. Here is a copy of the letter that I dispatched to him,-

Mr. A. Hassard, Director of Parks and Leisure,
Belfast City Council,
Adelaide Exchange,
24­26 Adelaide Street,
Belfast BT2 8GD

Re : = NAMING OF THE NEW LOCAL PARK IN 'THE VILLAGE' AREA

There were many stars that were from Northern Ireland but none shone brighter than the young, shy, husky voiced female vocalist/entertainer from Belfast RUBY MURRAY. Her unique voice rocketed her to STARDOM in the early 50s when her records sold in millions. In an International poll of female singers Ruby's name came second only to that of Doris Day the International singing and movie star. Ruby topped the British list of Female Singers TWICE. She still holds the WORLD RECORD of having 5 hit records in the charts all at the same time. She holds 2 WORLD RECORD awards in the Guinness Book of Records which they have recently compiled. She appeared at the world famous LONDON PALLADIUM starring with Norman Wisdom and appeared in The ROYAL VARIETY COMMAND PERFORMANCE attended by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, she also appeared in other Royal shows, including '40 YEARS OF PEACE' at The Palace Theatre in the London's West-end Attended by PRINCESS ANNE. Ruby was awarded The Daily Mirror -AWARD OF MERIT two years in succession - 1955 and 1956. To this day these two silver statuettes are still proudly standing on my living room shelf.

My name is BERNIE BURGESS I am the late Ruby Murray's ex husband. I flew into Belfast recently to contribute to a commemorative show that was staged at Fane Street School, where Ruby attended school, in the neighbourhood where she was born and raised. I also flew 'our' two children with me, Tim and Julie, so that the 3 of us could perform as a quartet, a 'complete family vocal group', by singing with Ruby's recorded tracks. During the performance of this packed concert it was put to the audience - 'Would you be in favour of naming the NEW PARK after Belfast's own RUBY MURRAY?, - the response was an resoundong - 100% YES!

Sadly, the house where Ruby lived was demolished, how very sad, it was hoped that her house could be saved from demolition but it was not to be, re-development won in the end. However, she undoubtedly thoroughly deserves to be remembered. There are still neighbours in the locality of Ruby's old house and home who still remember Ruby, their neighbour, with great affection. By naming the new park in her name Ruby will deservedly be remembered, it will indelibly write her name into the history of the local Neighbourhood as well as Belfast itself and in Northern Ireland. Ruby never lost her love of her homeland, her husky voice and her undoubted charm together with the Northern Ireland accent won her millions of fans around the world.

From my contacts in Belfast, I understand that the park,which is in the 'Village Redevelopment' area, will be handed over to the Council by Fold Housing Association early next year. I would therefore ask the Council to please consider naming of the new park as ' Ruby Murray Park' or 'The Ruby Murray Park' and that this proposal be placed on the agenda at the next meeting of the Parks and Leisure Committee.

Most Sincerely

B, Burgess.

P.S. HINT ... IF ENOUGH PERSUASION IS PLACED UPON THE COUNCILLOR IN CHARGE HE MIGHT BE PERSUADED ................
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

1952mgyb

Re: News Regarding Park Naming

Post by 1952mgyb »

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tcw7/contact

Good luck with this...by the way although you have tried contacting the One Show with no success there is a new easy to fill in send your story form if you or someone else wants to have another go...

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David, I have sent in a story in but I doubt very much that I will get a response, for the simple reason I previously wrote to the lady in charge of documentaries and I was turned down. Here is a copy of the brief submission that I have made. : -

. .March of next year heralds the anniversary of 3 world records in the world of Music and Recording that are still held by the late RUBY MURRAY. Her story warrants a full documentary about her helter skelter life, the recording achievements that brought her 3 world records which she still holds to this day, her meteoric rise to fame, the widespread and blatant exploitation that she constantly suffered at the hands of those in positions of power, the many warped newspaper stories, her whirlwind courtship, her marriage and the all too brief period of sheer happiness that a loving relationship brought to her, her travels abroad and the humorous stories concerning them, the never ending struggle with alcoholism - a battle that sadly she lost at the age of just 61yrs.
A full length feature film was made about the late Joseph Locke and another by an American Female Vocaliste - Jane Froman. I feel quite confident that Ruby's story is at least their equal, if not better.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

The trouble with the BBC is that unless your story is about the liberal left or some minority or other they dont want to know...the BBC is a shadow of its former self these days. I dare say they would put that idiot Russell Brand on at the drop of a hat.

David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David

There doesn't seem to be great deal of appeal for our 'cause'. I will have to try elsewhere but it isn't going to be easy, I feel that I will run into the same kind of reaction, I have done so often in the past.

What a strange mixture that Russell Brand is, he has tremendous appeal to the younger generations. He appears to be very intelligent yet his speech and his choice of words is dreadful. He is like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn, the 'kids' flock to see him and can't wait for him to say something OUTRAGEOUS, when he does they scream with delight - STRANGE MENTALITY!!!

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

In my attempts to drum up support for the 'Naming of the New Park in Belfast' project, I decided to try to contact the ex Lord Mayor of Belfast ex Councillor Wallace Browne. I remembered that he had moved to The House of Lords and had a new title i.e. Lord Browne of Belmont. I wrote a letter to him stating how much his efforts were very much appreciated in getting the Commemorative Plaque funded, manufactured, installed and unveiled in The Ulster Hall in Belfast and asking him if he could consider gracefully giving that same support to the naming of the park project? I am delighted to say I received a positive reply stating and I quote. "Although I am no longer a member of Belfast City Council I am pleased to add my support and will speak to Mr.Andrew Hassard and the Councillor on the Parks Committee concerning the matter. He added "Ruby is fondly remembered by many in Belfast and indeed Northern Ireland and it would be a fitting tribute to Ruby who was a world entertainer." Needless to say I am thrilled to receive such a positive response which is obviously very much appreciated.

When the entire development of the area, including the park, is finally handed over to Belfast City Council the decision of naming will take place but it won't be until some time later in the New Year. Fingers crossed 'Friends'

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, yes fingers crossed. Hope you are successful.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

John,

I'm pleased to say that I'm getting some very encouraging replies. The final naming is still so way off - the wheels of government turn very slowly. It's great to see you posting so regularly - keep up the good work but don't over do things - take care of yourself, your contributions and your achievements have been very valuable.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

I am so glad you are getting positive replies regarding the naming of the park. Have you thought of contacting a few of Tuby's contemporaries, ie Gloria Hunniford, Val Doonican, Terry Wogan, Bruce Forsythe?

Best wishes.

Martin