The 60th anniversary begins

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

The 60th anniversary begins

Post by Jk »

Hello to all Ruby's fans. The 60th anniversary of her first UK hit was, of course, on Wednesday ("Heartbeat" became a Top 20 hit on the chart dated 3 December 1954).

We are now on our way to start the celebrations which will go on into 2015
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Re: The 60th anniversary begins

Post by Bernie Burgess »

John.

I have been using the 60th anniversary theme in my correspondence with the Belfast City Council regarding the naming of the new park. I am hoping that the powers that be will recognize the event and answer my plea regarding the naming of the new park. One email has suggested that the naming might not take place until late August. This project has now been in progress for something like two years - some wait!

Keep up the good work John.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Jk wrote:Hello to all Ruby's fans. The 60th anniversary of her first UK hit was, of course, on Wednesday ("Heartbeat" became a Top 20 hit on the chart dated 3 December 1954).
I helped to put it there! I remember we only had a clockwork gramophone in those days, so I bought the record (78 rpm of course!) and a box of new needles to play it with.

I still managed to wear it out though even with new needles (Songster Needles - Use Once Only). Happy days!
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Gerald. I also helped to put it there, with the same set up as you. The needles looked like small nails, seems like yesterday.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

What? You could only use the needles once and then you had to change them? Does that mean after listening to one side of the 78?

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It is funny you should ask that question, Martin, because I thought it meant once per record. The result was that I have some records where the B side was played with the needle used on the A side, and the result has been to chip off bits of the brittle shellac from which 78 rpm records were made. Before we had all of Ruby's records on CDs, I used this forum to beg cassette copies of many of Ruby's B side songs because mine were too bad to make copies from!

So if this technology every comes back, use needles only once per song!

Gerald