Television report

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Johnny Mac

Television report

Post by Johnny Mac »

I thought members would be interested to know that tonight (28th February) on local television there was a report on the forthcoming unveiling of the plaque at the Ulster Hall in Belfast.
Ulster Television carried the story which included an interview with the Lord Mayor of Belfast, Councillor Wallace Brown (himself a Ruby fan) discussing the forthcoming event. So I'm pleased to say that media coverage has already started.
Unfortunately at present I am unable to give a commitment if I will be able to attend because of my work schedule. I work for a small printing firm and coming up to Easter is a very busy time for us. This is indeed unfortunate as it may be the only chance I will get to meet members of the site.
However, rest assured, I will be contacting local radio stations in the near future to get lots of air time. Wouldn't it be nice if one of them was to get Bernie or Tim into the studio when they were over. Perhaps this is something the organisers might think about.!!
Regards to all,
Johnny Mac

Bernie Burgess

Television Coverage

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Johnnie Mac,

Be on the lookout for another interveiw, this one should be with Julia Reardon, she was the young actress that played the part of Ruby in the Marie Jones play 'RUBY'. Mind you, it may have been on the same television programme. I have been informed that she will also be present at the unveiling, to give a reading from the play. The actual unveiling will take place on the exterior of the hall but the speeches and the performances will be inside the hall. Both Julie and Tim, our two children, should be present and Tim has been asked to perform some of Ruby's hit songs. I am looking forward to that.

I flew to Belfast to see that play when it was produced in Belfast and although the acting was very good the research for the play was a little off course, some of their portrayals of individual characters were totally unrecognizable to my recollection.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Johnny Mac

Post by Johnny Mac »

Thanks Bernie for your response to my post. Yes indeed there was an interview with Julia Reardon on the same programme last night when she spoke of the great honour she felt at being asked to play the part.
Although she would never claim to be able to sing like Ruby, she explained how on one occasion she thought she felt Ruby's presence on stage when she was doing one of her songs.
I will keep alert to Radio Ulster and TV stations and report on any further programmes or air time given.
Regards,
Johnny Mac