Have we seen this?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
1952mgyb

Have we seen this?

Post by 1952mgyb »

1952mgyb

Re: Have we seen this?

Post by 1952mgyb »

Oooops ..sorry about that link..must have lost the one I wanted. The link I had was to a YouTube video about the demolition of Ruby's house.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David

I searched for the video clip you mentioned on Youtube but couldn't find it. I did find data of my urgent pleas to the powers that be in connection with the proposed demolition. On reflection I consider that I made quite a case for preserving Ruby's house and home. Despite those pleas the demolition went ahead regardless which conclusively proves that . . . SOME FELL ON STONY GROUND.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

I must have made an error on this..the link seems to be as below...have we already seen this? Scroll down for Ruby's old house demolition.

http://www.blackstaff-residents.org.uk/page5.html

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

David,

I followed your 'link' about the demolition, it's a huge story about demolition and redevelopement which makes very sad reading. Was it any wonder that the appeals that I made at the time to save Ruby's house and home were all to no avail. I am still fighting to get a local park named after Ruby so that her name and her roots are not completely forgotten.

mike williams

Ruby's house

Post by mike williams »

On a related subject, about 18 years ago I bought a fireplace and had it installed in my house. The supplier was a local stonemason who said he had taken it from a house which had been Ruby Murray's near Northampton. He said he thought it had been a recording studio. I guess one person on here will know for sure, so I will try to post a photograph. It is white marble. Does that sound likely?

Mike

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Mike.

I did purchase a white marble fire place and installed it in an extention wing in the house that I built with a carpenter/builder friend. It was strictly ornamental as there was no flue. As to the recording studio - that doesn't fit. We had a small bedroom in the extention to the house which I used as an office/cum music room. I used some accoustic tiles in that room to absorb the sound but it was not connected to the extention room where I installed the white marble fireplace. As to why the ornamental fireplace would be removed I can't give you an answer on the question. We paid quite a sum of money for the fireplace and had it transport from some friends in Yorkshire.

I hope that gives you some idea. - Berrnie

mike williams

Post by mike williams »

That sounds absolutely right Bernie, thank you, it did indeed have an electric fire in front of it in the photo I was shown of it in your house. It is in an arch shape and very attractive. Doesn't look like I can post a photo on here as I hoped. Must admit when I bought it I had never heard of Ruby Murray, but being told the name I started to find out about her and now I love her music ... and love the fireplace!

As for why it was taken out - some people have strange taste! Don't suppose there's any way of knowing where in Yorkshire it came from? I had assumed it was probably Scottish.

Mike

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Mike. . . I think I can recall that it might have been a family of Ruby's fans in Brighouse but I can't swear to it. Sadly Rectory Cottage went through some drastic changes, some of which I was invited to see personally. As you say people have different tastes but happily no changes can be made to the exterior of the house because it was made into a Listed Building, presumable because of it's antiquity.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Mike and welcome to the Ruby Murray website Forum. I am pleased that you were able to follow the instructions and get yourself registered.

I am also pleased that my guess about Bernie knowing all about it was right! He is a mine of information about many aspects of show business, not just those associated with Ruby. I hope you continue to look in from time to time and enjoy anything new that is posted here.
Gerald