David Frankish RIP

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

David Frankish RIP

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I had a letter today telling me the sad news that David Frankish passed away last weekend. David was for a long time the person running Ruby's fan club, and became a great friend of Ruby and her family. He was a mine of information, and when I first spoke with him on the telephone several years ago, he was a great help in compiling a full list of Ruby's recordings. There are a number of very rare cabaret recordings of Ruby singing songs with which she was not normally associated because he was kind enough to let me have some cassettes and reel to reel tape recordings which he had made. The best ones you will find in the library, and we all owe a debt of gratitude to David for making them in the first place and then letting me have them.

I never got a chance to meet up with him, but we used to contact each other by telephone every few months and mostly exchange memories about Ruby, and he had far more of those than I did. He was not a computer user. From time to time he would go into his local library and get someone there to have a look in on this website, particularly if I had mentioned that there was something new to see, but because of ill health over recent years this unfortunately was not easy for him. At the time of the plaque unveiling in Belfast, he told me how he would have loved to have come with us, but he was not a good traveller. He was very keen to hear all about it and watch the video which I had been able to put on DVD for him.

He will be sadly missed, a genuine fan who had marvellous links with Ruby and her life.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Re: David Frankish RIP

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I am devastated by the news of David Frankish's passing. He was a highly valued friend of both Ruby and myself, apart from being in charge of Ruby's Fan Club. He was a mine of information and capable of relating many stories in connection with Ruby's career as well as her personal life. Amongst the members of the fanclub there is a lady who lives on the the Isle of Orkney with whom he exchanged information over the years, I must try to contact her to see if the sad news has reached her. The staunchest of fans,I salute you David, rest in peace, you will be sadly missed by everyone connected to Ruby, her family and the fan club in many parts of the world. - ADIOS AMIGO> Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I have found the Obituary in the Huddersfield Daily Examiner, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/huddersfiel ... =tmhu_hude

Bernie and I will be attending, and Bernie has written a tribute to David about his work in running the Fan Club, which we hope will be read out.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Today Gerald and I attended the funeral of David Frankish, Ruby's long serving Fan Club Secretary. I was grateful to Gerald for picking me up from Tudor Court and driving us both to Huddersfield. We both felt quite strongly that the Ruby Murray fans should be represented at this sad occasion. Added to this is the fact that David had become a family friend over the years and his contributions to both the Fan Club and the Website were many and positively invaluable. There was an enormous crowd at the Crematorium and they gave Dave a truly heartfelt send off. I had written a tribute to David which I asked to be read out during the service. Rounding off the service his Brother Robert and his family chose to end the service with Ruby's 'Softly Softly' a fitting tribute to David. He told us that it was David's wish. David will be sadly missed.
Rest in Peace David you were the staunchest of fans and I know that Ruby valued you both as a family friend and as the very best of Fan Club Secretaries.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Very sad news but so lovely that Bernie and Gerald could go to the funeral to represent us all. Rest in peace David

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thank you for your posting Martin, it's good to see you back on the scene. Hope you are well.