Ruby's grave

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Sandy

Ruby's grave

Post by Sandy »

Hello folks! Long time since I posted on here but have been dipping in and out over the years and am pleased to see some of my old friends are " keeping the faith".
Was on holiday recently in the South and did a detour to Torquay. Had promised myself that I would find Ruby's grave and pay my respects, albeit a little late. Thought Bernie would like to see an up to date photo. It looked a bit forlorn with its dead plant so I rushed off to find some flowers to cheer it up. Tried to put the pic online but no joy so I sent a message and pic to our old friend Gerald who kindly did the business. So have a look in the photos section of the library if you wish.
Best wishes to my friends on here and all the newer guys :D
Sandy

Jk

Re: Ruby's grave

Post by Jk »

Hi Sandy, you have done a great job looks very nice and tidy.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Sandy, I am glad it all worked for you in getting on here to post messages. Welcome back, we are always pleased to see postings by our friends - not many of us left now!

I know Bernie will comment about the appearance of the stone and how tidy it looks, but I will also add my thanks to you for putting the flowers on to brighten it up. It is sad to think that Ruby died 20 years ago this coming December, but it is good that we are able to keep her memory alive.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Sandy -

It's wonderful to see your name on the website again, Gerald and I often talk about you. I trust that you are well. I am anxious to see the photo of the grave. I knew that it would be looking badly neglected. I placed a dozen red roses there on my last visit but they only last a week, at the most. In fact I had looked up National Express buses and was making arangements to get to Torquay later this month. It bothers me a great deal when think about the grave looking neglected but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to get there from where I am in Sutton Coldfield.

Thanks for your devoted attention to Ruby's resting place. My very best wishes to you - Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends/Fans

I'm pleased to say that a drummer friend of mine has offered to drive me to Torquay to attend Ruby's resting place on Wednesday the 19th. I will be able to replace the flowers that Sandy so kindly displayed on the marble plinth which have by now sadly wilted. With me suffering Arthritis in both knees it becomes very difficult to walk. It's a blessing that there are still some kind hearted friends around who offer assistance when it's badly needed. Once again I would like to thank Sandy for her kindness.

It's hard to believe that Ruby left us 20yrs ago come December 17th this year. I am still hoping to twist a few arms in Belfast to get funding for a Blue Plaque to be placed in the newly built houses in the neighbourhood where Ruby was born and bred. Because her passing was 20yrs ago she becomes elligible for a Blue Plaque. The stumbling block concerning funding for the Blue Plaque has been the fact that the local Council funded the plaque that is displayed inside The Ulster Hall. I've argued that the plaque at the Ulster Hall is in commemoration of Ruby's appearances there when she was a child performer and is a seperate matter to a Blue Plaque. I still hold out hope that a Blue Plaque will be funded and sited in the new Moltyke Street, preferably at number 84 where Ruby's old home stood- I'm still chasing to get the the Blue plaque but lately to no avail. I will persevere . . . . .

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends/Fans,

I have just returned from my pilgrimmage to the Torquay Crematorium. My drummer friend - Keith - was wonderful to me. Not only did he drive me to Torquay and back he also carried out the grass trimming/edging/cleaning of the actual headstone. When we arrived we discovered that some kind sole had placed a posy of artificial anemones on the headstone. Presumeably the flowers that Sandy kindly placed there had wilted. I did'nt disturb the posy I simply added the red roses to it. They were most unusual roses because they had red glitter sprayed on the petals, I had never seen this done before. I took some photos of the grave when the 'clean-up' and edging around the marble plinth was complete. I shall be eternally grateful to my pal Keith, he has been a really kind Samariton towards me and I'm extremely grateful to him. It's sad to think that the roses will only last for so long but at least the grave and it's surroundings have been cleaned up beautifully. - Thanks Keith.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I recently discovered that a daughter of one of THE JONES BOYS who lives in Torquay, namely Katherine, has attended Ruby's grave and left some flowers there. I was delighted by the news and I'm very grateful to her. It is so very difficult for me to do the round trip these days. Going by train means changes of stations in Birmingham and Newton Abbott and that makes it extremely difficult for me, especially if it entails stairs from one platform to another. The bus service is also problematic and also means changes. I'm so pleased that there are still kind souls around. - Bernie .

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

This is a test of displaying an image from the Library in a forum post. This is only a test.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello and welcome back Timmer! Well the test has certainly worked. This is a feature that some of us have used from time to time, to bring a particular picture to everyone's attention, so it is good to see that it is still there in the new version of the phpBB software.

For those not on the Administration list, I should add that Timmer has spent the last few days beavering away making improvements to this forum and the process for Registration for new members. Many of these changes will go unnoticed, but have involved a considerable amount of hard work and dedication. Thank you once again for being our Prime benefactor, and for being the Father of this lovely website!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I must add my appreciation to 'TIMMER' - we all owe everything to him. -THANKS TIMMER. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

I would also like thank Timmer for everything he has done on the site for all Ruby fans since 1999. Also thanks to Gerald for helping to keep the site going.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

My very good friend - Keith Seely (the drummer) has very kindly offered to drive me all way to Torquay sometime between now and Christmas so that I can once again tidy Ruby's grave and place some red roses there. I am very fortunate to have such a kind friend, the return journey, in his car, is approximately 400 miles. Obviously I will meet all of the costs, including over night hotel for both of us.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I am hopeful of being able to make the return journey to Torquay to tend Ruby's grave. My very good friend - Keith Seeley - has offered to drive me there again and I have provisionally booked overnight accommodation on Sunday Dec, 3rd. I am praying for good weather and traffic conditions.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I have discovered that there is a system whereby I can book into another Residental Home belonging to the same National Company as the one I am currently living in and use their Guest room at a nominal fee . This is extremely helpful and cuts out Hotel costs which is extremely helpful. By travelling on a Sunday I am hopeful that traffic conditions won't be too bad.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I'm delighted to report that I have managed to carry out the return trip to Torquay to once again attend to a clean-up operation of Ruby's grave. My kind hearted friend Keith Seeley volunteered to drive me there and back in his car. In fact he also carried out all the clean up needed. Seeing as I am now in my 90th year, if I got down to do the work I wouldn't be able to get back up again. I have fowarded the video clips and a single shot of the finished clean up to Gerald for uploading onto the website. There are some technical details that Gerald will need to sort out but when he has taken care of all the technical details he will upload them onto the website.
May I take this opportunity to wish all the Friends/Fans a Very Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.