MEETING WITH RUBY MURRAY

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
bomber

MEETING WITH RUBY MURRAY

Post by bomber »

MY NAME IS FRED,
I am almost 80 years old, I'm not to good on computers and found this site accidentally, I hope what I am about to say will be of interest to you all. I MET DEAR RUBY, at the goumont, not sure about the spelling, in SOUTHAMPTON which is now the mayflower theatre. some years ago. I enjoyed her singing, and I was in the merchant navy at the time. I booked up for a show that she was in so I
went to the stage door, and to my surprise was welcomed in by ruby, we talked for some time, and later saw her on stage. I got her
autograph on her photo I was over the moon I can tell you.

fred hodder martock somerset

Bernie Burgess

Re: MEETING WITH RUBY MURRAY

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Welcome Fred to Ruby's website

Thank you for the details of your meeting with Ruby, it must have been many years ago.

I hope that you will explore the website and enjoy all the data it contains. I can recall an occasion when I drove Ruby from our home in Northampton to see a show at The Gaumont in Southampton. Over the years I had related stories to Ruby about shows that I had seen whilst being an Assistant Stage Manager at The New Theatre in Northampton. One of the shows was the Doyle Carte Opera Company's production of 'The Mikado'. Ruby was enthralled by my description of the story so when I learned that this very same company were staging 'The Mikado' (amongst other Operettas) at The Gaumont in Southampton I secretly book tickets and without telling Ruby what she was going to see I drove her to Southampton to see the show. The surprise paid off, Ruby was delighted with the show which pleased me enormously and made the long return trip well worthwhile.

bomber

Post by bomber »

hi , Burnie.
thank you so much for your story, and yes I did find it interesting, as I said I am almost 80. and nearly use less on the computer and the worlds worse speller. as most of my schooling was spent in the play ground. this I can blam on the teachers, I will have to try and find my photo of ruby cheers fred

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

I hope that you can unearth the signed photo that you were given by Ruby. She always thought very highly of her fans and fully realised that without them buying her records and attending her theatre and cabaret engagements she would never have become the highly successful artiste that she undoubtledly became. She always found time for them.

bomber

Post by bomber »

VERY, VERY...........TRUE.
And there is nothing that I can add to what you said, Except may be it was such a pity that dear RUBY
had to leave us at such a young age, but you know what thy say, and I think it is true, our loss is definitely

" HAVEN"S GAIN " GOD BLESS YOU RUBY. Fred ( Bomber )

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thank you Fred for those kind words. RUBY -The Precious Gem - will never be forgotten. I think of her every single day of my life. There is an oil painting of her above my mantlepiece and she looks down smiling at me permanently.

Don't forget to search around the website, there is a wealth of information that will be of interest to you . .

Adios Amigo.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

May I welcome you to the site here, Fred, it is a pleasure to see a new name posting in this message forum. This website was started in 1999, and like you I stumbled across it quite by chance - I have been a member ever since! I was also invited by the founder of the website, Tim who we know as Timmer, to take over the looking after of this website which is a pleasure for me to do.

Your story of meeting with Ruby is very interesting and it certainly reminds me of those lovely days in the 50s when I grew up listening to her voice on the wireless and buying her records. Like you I also got to see her a few times (not enough times I might add!) and you couldn't help but like the way she spoke with her fans.

I do hope you like all the things that you can find here - if you need any help finding something then just post here and someone will show you how to get to it. Best wishes,
Gerald

bomber

Post by bomber »

TO BERNIE AND GERALD.
Thank you both most kindly for your welcome, you are indeed lucky Bernie to have a oil painting of ruby, and yes I am slowly
looking around the site.
and Gerald once again thanks for the welcome, and if I need any help I"LL shout out, and it was pure Pleasure to talk to ruby, and who
know"s I hope she is in heaven looking down on all her fan"s
kind regards fred. 20/06/17.

martin73

Post by martin73 »

Hi Fred

Welcome to our website. Please don't worry about your spelling etc as that is not important. You are so lucky to have met Ruby. It comes as no surprise she welcomed you in and talked with you. It was the kind of person she was, although as she was quite shy I wonder if it was an ordeal for her inside, making conversation with all her fans? Can you remember what year it was? It would be great to see your autographed photo.

Yes Bernie is very lucky to have the oil painting of Ruby but who is more entitled to it. If I remember rightly it has quite an Irish flavour with Ruby wearing a shawl? I'm sure Bernie will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you Gerald for looking after this website for us. Unfortunately I cannot come on as often as I used to but I am looking forward to seeing the Christmas page soon.