Unveiling at the Ulster Hall

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Hazel Gamble

Unveiling at the Ulster Hall

Post by Hazel Gamble »

Hello Everyone

I was at the Ulster Hall today to celebrate Ruby, it was wonderful to see people who really cared for her as a person as well as a star. I myself have met her as she officially opened our bulding in the Village area of South Belfast (a few streets from Benburb Street where she lived) Windsor Women's Centre in 1995.

I have been a fan for many years just from listening to my mother sing all of Ruby's hits for as long as I can remember I did of course have my mother with me today at the unveiling and what a delight for her to recall all the times she had spent with Ruby in her early schooldays as friends.

With many thanks to Bernie for the wonderful and moving speech he made and to Tim and Julie for their rendition of songs that evoked many memories for my mother Joyce who is 71.
We who live in Belfast are very fortunate that we can see that plaque as often as we like and for those who have yet to hear of this wonderful woman and her achievements, we have a nation of fans always ready to teach the young at home in Belfast.

Thank you everyone on behalf of my mother for a wonerful afternoon of nostalgia.

Hazel - Belfast

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Hazel,

What a very nice message from you, I really must thank you for it, it's wonderful.

I assume that we did meet for a chat at the big event? I was absolutely thrilled by the whole occasion, it was something for me to remember for the rest of my life. I confess that I had to reach up and touch the plaque as I felt an overwhelming urge to do so. I am sure that Ruby would have been justifiably proud of what Belfast has done to remember her. The media coverage was quite outstanding, I was most grateful to them all.

I hope that you have had a chance to explore Ruby's website, there is so much to enjoy.

Thank you for attending. I send my very best wishes to both you and your mother.

Adios Senora. Bernie.

Sandy

Plaque

Post by Sandy »

Hi Hazel,
We met at the plaque unveiling and I encouraged you to log in - do you remember? Well - you beat me to it! I worried all the way home in case I had given you the wrong web address! Funnily enough I just quoted you in my piece on the unveiling.
I hope you will come back time and again to say hello here and tell us whether they are keeping the plague polished!!