New Song Selection on our Home Page

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

New Song Selection on our Home Page

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hi Friends, just in case you have not yet noticed, this is to tell you that we have a new selection of songs on our Home Page.

I have kept the same format, and asked John Kendall to let me have his choice for the five songs that appear there, and today I have made the changes so that you can all hear them. Go and have a listen - they are an interesting set of his favourites.

If you keep an eye on the number of downloads, as I do from time to time, you will see that the songs that appear on the Home Page get a boost in numbers, so I suspect that people other than the regulars who post here are looking in to have a listen. This was very evident with the famous Five Hits, which were present throughout 2005 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. The downloads for these ran into the thousands for each, with Softly, Softly achieving a remarkable 3100.

The reason for asking John to choose the songs is simple - after Bernie and myself, he has made the greatest number of postings to this Forum. So you know what you have to do to get your name on the front page!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald.

Good thinking on your part Gerald, getting viewers to boost numbers. I do wish that more friends/fans would post more often because the bulk of the continuity is done by a small number of regular viewers.

Come friends, let us see some more postings from you.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

rbl.ca

Forty Shades of Green

Post by rbl.ca »

Thanks, John, for selecting this song for the home page. I've had the opportunity to listen to it several times (without having to wait for it when listening to the 2-on-1 CD).
I had thought that such a wonderful song must be an old traditional song of Ireland. But when I searched the web for the lyrics of this song, so that I could be sure of the names of all the towns, I was totally surprised to find out that the music & lyrics were written by JOHNNY CASH.
I always thought that Johnny was only a singer-songwriter of American country and gospel music.
I might assume that Mr. Cash had ties to Ireland, but I was unable to find out anything about them. Does anybody know if his family was from Ireland, or was he simply an impressed visitor?

Cheers. Ralph
Last edited by rbl.ca on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Mac

Forty Shades of Green

Post by Johnny Mac »

The story that I have always been told regarding the writing of this song was that Johnny Cash, who was a regular visitor to Ireland, wrote it after flying over Ireland and was amazed at the beautiful colours of the landscape and the great variety of green in the fields. I'm sure members may have more information on this. As to Johnny Cash having any roots here, that is something I'm not sure about, but I will try to find out and any information I find I will post it.
Regards to all,
Johnny Mac

Gerald Lawrence

New Set of Songs - Chosen by Graham Bunn

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Graham is the next lucky one to choose a set of songs for the Home Page, and these are now ready for listening. I am sorry that I have to only put around one minute's worth, but as all these songs are from CDs that are still currently for sale in the shops and on the internet, I would rather you bought the full version than me get into trouble over copyright!

Once again we have a lovely selection of songs, and as Graham said to me "it is difficult to choose because I like them all!". Listening to them as I prepared them for uploading to Timmer's server has reminded me how well Ruby sang the melody even when the orchestral backing was playing something completely different. This is particularly apparent during the very novel accompaniment to "Turn and Walk Away" when the orchestra is playing a sequence of repeated single chords but Ruby sings the song itself perfectly in tune.

I am also impressed with the way Ruby sings the high notes in "I'll Remember Today". This is one of those songs that I never knew existed until only a few years ago, and I was just amazed by the quality when I first heard it. It has become one of my favourites, and I couldn't believe my luck when it was reissued on CD.

I hope you all enjoy this latest selection, which keeps up the tradition of good songs set by those who have gone before.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

New Song Selection.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I really must congratulate Graham on his choice of songs for the home page. I particularly like the first one - 'Who Knows' it is such a beautiful song and the lyric is superb. I haven't played this song for such a long time but it only goes to prove that there are so many delightful tracks to listen to and as Graham says it's difficult to choose between them.

I am fairly sure that it is Jack Emblow on accordian on one of the tracks. He was such a fine instrumentalist, so versatile with his variations and was constantly in demand at the various recording studios.

Great choice Graham. Adios Amigos. Bernie

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Folks,
Just to thank Gerald for the wonderful job he has done once again in reproducing these small sections of songs upon the website.

I do hope that people will give them a listen and if they do not have the appropriate C.D it will encourage them to purchase it.

It's funny but you always seem to identify with a song as a favourite and it is not always one that has been in the hit parade.....Of all the songs that I selected "Who Knows" would be one of my all time favourites I think it shows Rubys voice off at it's best.

Thanks for giving me the chance to share my songs with you.
Take Care
Graham.
Graham

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Graham,

Great choice of songs, especially 'Who knows'. It is a nice song with a good melody and a nice arrangement. I especially like the way the strings come in and also how Ruby is double tracked on the chorus.

Well done to Graham and also Gerald on his technical experitse!

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

I love visiting the site and seeing new stuff on the home page. Well done!

I like the new info about the DVD, too.