1958? Can anyone help me, please?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
BernieTuffs

1958? Can anyone help me, please?

Post by BernieTuffs »

hi!
I'm trying to find out more details about a visit Ruby made to our Church (SS. Austin & Gregory R.C. Church, in Victoria Road, Margate, Kent, UK) in (it is thought) 1958 when she opened the fete.

We have the Archbishop coming on 4th November for a big ceremony, and I desperately need information and/or photos for displaying...so far I have been unable to track down any information, either about the visit or our Church history in general!

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for this info., or actually has info or photos that they would be willing to share...?

You can email BernieSolly@hotmail.co.uk if you can help - and of course let me know on here!!!

Fantastic site by the way -somuch info for me to go through, and which, if I manage to obtain info and photos, will provide a wonderful background to the occasion in my display!!

Thanks in advance,

Bernie X

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, glad you have got round to posting a message. I can’t help you with your question, but I am sure Bernie Burgess will come up with some info for you. Ruby was in Margate in1962 at “The Winter Gardens Theatre” I know that for sure, I went to see her, she was starring with Hughie Green, but as always Ruby stole the show, she was fantastic. Hope someone can come along and help you, I am sure they will.
Look forward to more post from you in the future.
Regards
John.

BernieTuffs

Post by BernieTuffs »

Thank you John for that reply - any more info would be great! Maybe I can start searching for info on 1962 and see where that takes me in the meantime!

I do remember Hughie Green from my childhood - Opportunity Knocks, wasn't it?!

How nice to get a welcome too - thank you!

Bernie X

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Bernie,

So pleased that you posted a message on the website.

For the summer season of 1958 Ruby was topping the bill with Tommy Cooper at the Wellington Pier in Gt. Yarmouth. We, The Jones Boys, were also on the bill and I remember that the show was a tremendous success. As our friend John says in his reply to you enquiry, we played the Winter Gardens in Margate in 1962. There could of course be a possibility that Ruby may have been asked to visit the church you mentioned during our season in Gt Yarmouth but she would have needed to do the visit and return to Yarmouth. If that had been the case I would have driven her there but I can't honestly say that I can recall us doing that trip.

If I remember correctly, we stayed in Birchington(?) during our season in Margate and a new nanny joined us there, she lived in Birchington. It was in Margate that Ruiby and I included our duet routine and I specially built a portable cocktail bar for the specific porpose of that particular routine. We later did the routine on Sunday Night at The Prince of Wales Theatre.

I hope that you have had a good look around the website, there is a wealth of data for everyone to enjoy.

Adios Amigo. Bernie/ (your namesake).

BernieTuffs

Post by BernieTuffs »

Hello Bernie!
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply!
I love all these snippets of information! I shall have a word with the people at Church who have the photo and see if they could be wrong...Yarmouth would be quite a distance for a day trip - took us several hours a couple of years ago!
Once again, thank you so much!
Bernie X (short for Bernadette!)

BernieTuffs

Post by BernieTuffs »

me again!
Just wondering if there is a picture of Ruby that I could use without having to worry about copyright...starting to put together the boards for Church now, as the celebration is looming ever closer. The photo taken by a parishioner has not materialised:( so just thought I'd ask...?

Thanks in advance,
Bernie X

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Benrnie X, feel free to go into the Photo section on the site, have a look at the photos find one you like, then right click and "save target as". Save it to My Pictures if you are on XP.
You can also email me, with your email and I will gladly send you one.
Regards
John.

BernieTuffs

Post by BernieTuffs »

hi again!
Thank you so much for that reply - very helpul!! Am pushed for time at the moment, but will have a look later hopefully...everyone on here has been so kind!
Bernie X