Video of Ruby in recording studio

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Sandy

Video of Ruby in recording studio

Post by Sandy »

I have put a video in the video library (Windows media file) of Ruby in the early days recording in the studio. Before you all get over-excited some of us had already seen it some time ago. It is the Pathe News clip. However, (correct me if I'm wrong) but I could not find it in the library so I have uploaded it to the video library for the benefit of the members who joined later and may have not had the pleasure of seeing it before.
Enjoy!
Sandy

Sandy

More Ruby videos!

Post by Sandy »

I'm really rockin' tonight!
I've put three clips in the video library from Fil Campbell's tv programme "Songbirds". (I believe a certain Ralph Lortie from Canada won the DVD of the series)

Clip 1. Murray early years includes an interview with Ruby's lifelong friend and accompanist, Marie Cunningham.
Clip 2. Softly Softly. Has rare video of Ruby singing "her" song.
Clip 3. Tim and Julie who? includes snatches of interview with - Tim and Julie who???? :lol:
Last edited by Sandy on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hello fellow fanatics, I hope you are all well and having a good new year.

Sandy I am abosolutley reeling at that video of Ruby in the recording studio. It is absolutely fantastic. Thank you for including it in the library for us all.

Having never seen a Ruby performance apart from her film appearance in "A touch of the sun" and various TV appearances from the 1980s onwards, it is marvellous to see her actually in the recording studio and even better in colour. She looks lovely and it is an equally lovely song performed with great feeling, as only Ruby could. I particularly like the part where she sings "I adore you" and also her smile at the end of the recording. It just goes to show how professional singers of Ruby's era really were making a recording with a full orchestra in the studio. What a contrast to the so called pop music we have now!

Well done Sandy and thanks again for a true gem.

Sandy

Ruby in the recording studio

Post by Sandy »

Hi Martin,
I'm delighted that you enjoyed the video. It must be one of the earliest accessible videos made. Myself, I enjoyed the 2nd clip of the Songbird videos where Ruby sang Softly Softly wearing a lovely red dress.
Also, I am really pleased that Ruby's friend Marie Cunningham (who some of us met at the Belfast event) appears, albeit briefly, in the same clip and also in the "Tim, Julie, who?" clip. Who are they by the way? :lol: Marie is a lovely, entertaining lady and I hope the family will show her the clips.

After uploading it I went off to arrange dinner and we sat and listened to Ruby throughout the meal - lovely. I miss her!

All the best, Sandy

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Sandy, what a god job you have done with the uploads. I am sure all who did not manage to get a video of the show "Song Bird" will be delighted. I was very pleased with the clip of "Bambino, I had not seen that before, for some reason my computer would never let me into the Path News, to view it, so thanks for that. I wonder if we could get hold of the full version of Ruby singing Softly? I don't come on the site much now, in-fact I don't come on my computer much these days, but it made my day this morning when I saw your message, with the clips.
Thanks again Sandy for a job well done.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you very much Sandy for reminding me about these videos, and congratulations on getting them into our Library - you are next in line to take over the Ruby Murray website!

Martin, you would have made an ideal fan in the mid-50s. Just like the rest of us in our first flush of manhood back then, you also think she is terrific!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Sandy - and all other 'Friends'

I was up until quite late last night - downloading. You have done a fine job Sandy, I'm sure that quite a number of viewers to the website may not have seen the clips that you placed on view and will therefore get great pleasure from seeing them. It is wonderful that someone of Martin's generation appreciates Ruby and the era that she was in. I cannot imagine many of todays songs being around and being listened to 50yrs (plus) from now.

Professional song writers have all but disappeared, more is the pity, and along with them - songs about - romance (an unused word these days) and unadulturated, pure, sweet, innocent love. and not obscenity and 'Living Next Door to Alice' -Oh! for song writers capable of writing songs with meaningful lyrics - like the one I referred to in Belfast - 'What Could Be More Beautiful' - There I go again, living in the past and hopelessly trying to change the world.

Happy Viewing Friends.

Adios Amigos.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Thanks to Gerald and Bernie for your comments.

Does anybody know the year of the "Softly softly" video and also any details of the televison show?

Gerald Lawrence

It is interesting that you should ask these questions, because I have the same ones.

During the preparation of the tribute to Ruby on Songbirds, I corresponded briefly with the presenter and singer Fil Campbell. Then during the plaque unveiling ceremony in Belfast, I am pleased to say that she also attended and we had a very nice conversation. A little later, I wrote to her to ask the very questions you raise, and she said she would try to find out the answers. I have not heard from her at all, but I know from her website that she has been busy in America (and won an award for her programmes). I guess perhaps she has been unable to find out where the extract came from, but if I do find out, I will post a message here.
Gerald

max1956bikes

ruby on video

Post by max1956bikes »

i check this site about once a month sorry,anyway i love softly softly but never seen ruby sing it,and now im very happy just seen it.is there a full video version anywere i could watch,thankyou richard.

Gerald Lawrence

Hi Richard, welcome back. You should check back more often, in case you miss something!

I am not aware of any available video of Ruby singing "Softly, Softly" from the time of her hit. She must have sung it on television a number of times during 1955, and there may indeed be some black and white film in BBC or ITV archives, but sadly if it does exist it has never been made public.

I believe there exists a video of Ruby singing it in a Terry Wogan show - when I get a moment I will try and track down a copy and see if we can get it into the Library. It will probably date from the mid-80s.
Gerald

spudmurph

Post by spudmurph »

Hi Gerald

I have just read your message about a copy of Ruby singing on the Terry Wogan show. Would you also have her interview from that show? I would love to see it if you have because I was at the show with her that night.

Kathleen

max1956bikes

Post by max1956bikes »

that would be great,i have not seen much of ruby but i love her music,if it was not for this site iwould know nothing about her.i was talking to a mate at work who is only 30 years old he was saying about modern pop music which i can not bear to hear i ask him if he heard of ruby murray,what you mean curry he said,then i said about ruby he wonderd where the saying came from,i showed him clip from my phone,he did not like it.never mind,i love her.

Gerald Lawrence

I have just added another video clip from the Pathé News archives to go with the one which Sandy put here a little while ago (visit the Library, Video section).

This one is an interview with Peter Noble, and takes place just before Ruby started filming on the set of "A Touch of the Sun". It is in black and white, and the quality is a bit variable, but it gives a wonderful insight into Ruby's talking voice, which as we all know, was to say the least a bit unique! There are also some very attractive head and shoulders close-ups.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys, Hi Gerald.

Another great video of Ruby in her (very) young days. How shy and nervous she looks but some lovely close ups and as Gerald says what a great voice!