Proposed New Home Page

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Proposed New Home Page

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

The Christmas version of the Home Page has now passed its sell by date, so I have made a couple of very small changes. But I was thinking of working on a new one with an Irish Flavour, to coincide with Saint Patrick's Day (March 17) and the anniversary of Ruby's birthday.

I always like to include some songs on the Home Page, and I would like all of you to help me this time with the choice. I would propose that we have no more than five songs, all with a reference to Ireland in them. By that, I would suggest not those about Irish lads (like "Danny Boy" or "Johnny Gray") but those that directly reference places or features of Ireland itself. If you would like to write in and tell me your top five songs in order, I will use a points system to ensure we get the five most popular in this category. Here are my five:
  • 1. A Little Bit of Heaven
    2. Ballyshannon
    3. Lovely Derry On The Banks Of The Foyle
    4. Killarney, Killarney
    5. Rathfriland on the Hill
Closing date will have to be about the end of February, to allow me to complete the new design (for which at the moment I only have a clean sheet of paper, so to speak!
Last edited by Gerald Lawrence on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald

This is a very nice idea, here are my chosen five.

'The Green Glens of Antrim'
' The Mountains of Mourne'
'Galway Bay'
'How Can You Buy Killarney?'

Seeing as it will contain March 17th, for the fifth one how about

'It's a Great Day for the Irish' ???

Now come on friends, let us see your posting with your choice.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Gerald,

That is a great idea for St Patrick's day. Ruby recorded such a lot of excellent Irish songs it is hard to narrow them down to 5, but here would be my choice of favourites:-

1). Endearing young charms.
2). Doonaree (1958 version)
3). How can you buy Killarney?
4). Meeting of the waters.
5). The stone outside Dan Murphy's door.

I trust number 5 is allowed as Ruby is singing about a particular place and not the irish lad Dan Murphy! :)

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Hi Gerald,

My five:-

How can you buy Killarney?

Galway Bay.

It's a great day for the Irish.

Dear old Donegal.

Lovely Derry on the Banks of The Foyle.

Regards to all.

Gerald Lawrence

MARTIN FOSTER wrote: I trust number 5 is allowed as Ruby is singing about a particular place and not the irish lad Dan Murphy! :)
Well, although it is a fair bet that Dan Murphy is Irish, there is nothing in the words of the song to say that his door is in Ireland! He could be Irish in America for example. So, I think I must rule that one out.

However, it is not currently influencing the top five, so does not matter, but one does - "Endearing Young Charms". Can you convince me that from the words alone, this song is about Ireland?

I am also not sure about "Meeting of the Waters". I think there might be a place mentioned once (a Vale of Ahoka??) but is it in Ireland?

I am willing to be put right on these two songs. It's only a bit of fun, anyway. All great songs, though, Martin.

Regarding "It's a Great Day for the Irish", although it is clearly from the words an American song, considering the theme of the new home page, we must surely allow that to go on the list, if voted high enough?
Last edited by Gerald Lawrence on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you to those who have responded so quickly. I am assigning 5 points to the first on your list, 4 to your second, and so on, and then adding up all the points. Here is the latest Top Five:
  • 1. How Can You Buy Killarney - 10 points
    2. Galway Bay - 7 points
    3.= A Little Bit of Heaven - 5 points
    3.= Green Glens of Antrim
    3.= Endearing Young Charms
------------------------------------------------
  • 6.= Ballyshannon - 4 points
    6.= Lovely Derry on the Banks of the Foyle
    6.= Mountains of Mourne
    6.= It's a Great Day for the Irish
    6.= Doonaree (1958)
    11. Killarney, Killarney - 2 points
    11.= Meeting of the Waters
    11.= Dear Old Donegal
    14. Rathfriland on the Hill - 1 point
    14.= The Stone Outside Dan Murphy's Door
Keep your votes coming in if your favourite is not on the list, or down at the bottom of the table!
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Gerald and other fanatics,

This task seems to be harder than I thought but it is fun. :) Gerald, I will let you off with "Endearing young charms" as you quite rightly say that it is not about a specific place in Ireland. It is a lovely song though.

As for "Meeting of the waters" that is a Thomas Moore song about the Vale of Avoca which I think is in Co Wicklow, not far from where the BBC televison series "Ballykissangel" was filmed. There is a statue of Thomas Moore in Dublin and it stands above an old fashioned underground public toilet so "Meeting of the waters" is quite appropriate! :lol:

"Dan Murphy's door". I agree that this is a little vague and slightly Irish American sounding but Ruby does mention "it's the place we were born born in and reared" and also "it's long years ago since we left it but return there we will if we're spared" so I feel this one also should be correct as to me it is quite obviously about a place in Ireland. Ruby also sings "Twas poverty caused us to roam". The song has traditionally been associated with Co Clare although I am not sure of the reason for this.

Anyway loking forward to hearing what you think Gerald and also anyone else's views. Sorry for an essay guys!

Thanks.

Martin. :)

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I must congratulate 'young' Martin, he certainly knows plenty about Irish songs. In saying that, I must not allow myself to be seen influencing the decisions of the the 'judge', he is in charge.

Adio Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you very much for the new information, Martin, I think the judge is likely to look favourably on your songs.

I will strike out "Endearing Young Charms" as not being about Ireland.

Using your information about "Meeting of the Waters" I found several references to Vale of Avoca via google - here is the first one: http://www.translink.co.uk/resources/lu ... avoca.html and it evens mentions the name of the song! You were also right about its location, and its use in Ballykissangel. So full marks there.

In view of your very satisfactory work this weekend, I am inclined to only give you a yellow card for "Dan Murphy", so I will leave it in the table.

So now you have the free choice of another song, to complete your list of five. Please let me know where in your points list it figures, and then I will re-arrange the latest table accordingly.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

My choice is

1 "Lovely Derry on the Banks of The Foyle".
2 "The Kellys"
3 "Christmas Time In Ireland"
4 The Mountains of Mourne'
5 'Galway Bay'

John.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Looking forward to this new page on the website Gerald.

I will choose two songs that you have already chosen and two others because they have never been released upon C.D and perhaps some fan's have never heard them.
1.The Boys from County Armagh(Not about an individual boy )
2.The Six Mile Song (Ruby at her comic best)
3.Rathfriland On The Hill
4.Ballyshannon
5.Doonaree

Hope these are Irish enough Gerald and if fans have never heard them vote vote vote.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

There was positively no collusion with the judge Martin, honestly, - (but I'm glad that you won him over)

I'm enjoying the scheme- very much.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi all friends,

Gerald, thanks for reducing me to a yellow card for "Dan Murphy" and letting me keep it in my list. It is a very fine song and Ruby sings it in her own special way so I am glad you changed your mind.

My new list of songs is:-

1). Doonaree (1958)
2). How can you buy Killarney?
3). Meeting of the waters.
4). Stone outside Dan Murphy's door.
5). Green glens of Antrim.

Looking forward to seeing what makes the final five. :D

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you all for the input. Here is the new list (slightly re-arranged, so as to make it quicker for me to keep it up to date). The first number shows the total points to date for each song (looks like I might need a tie breaker!)
  • 11 How Can You Buy Killarney?
    9 Lovely Derry on the Banks of the Foyle
    8 Galway Bay
    6 Mountains of Mourne
    6 Green Glens of Antrim
    6 Doonaree (1958)
    6 Ballyshannon

5 The Boys from County Armagh
    5 A Little Bit of Heaven
    4 The Six Mile Song
    4 The Kellys
    4 Rathfriland on the Hill
    4 It's a Great Day for the Irish
    3 Meeting of the Waters
    3 Christmas Time In Ireland
    2 The Stone Outside Dan Murphy's Door
    2 Killarney, Killarney
    2 Dear Old Donegal
Gerald

rbl.ca

My Choices

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello, Gerald & Bernie.

I've finally put together my choices, as follows:

1. A Little Bit of Heaven
2. Isle of Innisfree
3. Forty Shades of Green
4.There's a Little Bit of Irish (Change Your Mind CD)
5. Cockles & Mussels

I only wish I could chose 3 or 4 more, but they already stand high in the current list.
Best of luck.
Ralph