Amazing story about Ruby.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Song

Post by Jk »

Hello Bernie, are you sure Harry Secombe sang "This is My Song" at the Palace in Blackpool, in 1960, I went to that great show, and I think the great Harry Worth was in it too. The reason I mention this is because Petula Clark had a No 1 hit on the 18th February 1967, and Harry Secombe, came in at No 2 also in February 1967, so I would not have thought he sang it in 1960. I know you will correct me if I'm wrong, and I will hold my hands up.
Anyhow I have listened to all three now, and I think Ruby's version is the best, but I would say that wouldn't I.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Another Rescued Song

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello friends, I have brought this thread back to the top because I have just spent many happy hours selecting and rescuing another song from the damaged tapes of David Frankish .

This one is the song from "Sound of Music" called "Edelweiss" and is another which many of us will never have heard Ruby singing before. The recording is taken from a private recording made during Ruby's performance at the Rex Club, Cambridge on the 6th June 1970. It would appear to have been made on a portable cassette recorder and unfortunately it was placed nearer to the band than Ruby, but I have done my best to enhance the sound of Ruby's voice above the piano (which incidentally is played brilliantly by her accompanist Maurice Merry).

The song is in the Library, and needless to say Ruby sings it beautifully. I hope you all enjoy this latest treasure from the past.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

You have managed to salvage quite a find with this track. If I remember correctly, the old audio tapes were severely damaged, so well done indeed, to be able to get it in one whole piece must have been a very delicate operation.

As you say, the microphone must have been placed on the piano. I will try to email this 'find' off to Maurice, i am still very much in touch with him.

Adios Amigo.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie, Hi Gerald,

Hope you are both well. What a lovely version of this song sung beautifully by Ruby. I really like the piano accompaniment and I think the applause from the audience says it all.

Thanks for your work in enhancing the tape Gerald and to David for making them available to us.

Best wishes to all friends.

Martin