TributeTo Ruby Murray

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
John Harris

TributeTo Ruby Murray

Post by John Harris »

What an emotional time we have had recently! I did three major gigs in the Golden Anniversary week, including one on Friday 18 March itself. On each occasion I played my 'Tribute To Ruby Murray' medley ('Evermore', 'I'll Come When You Call' and 'Softly, Softly' - my three favourites). I also each time spoke affectionately about Ruby and her great achievement, and received many enthusiastic and nostalgic comments afterwards.
My copy of 'Anthology' arrived in the post before 9 a.m. on Monday 21 March, so I was listening to it probably before it was officially released! So nice at last to have nearly all the songs I never managed to get (mainly the early ones) - including one or two I had never even heard before! I think the only two songs I don't yet have in any format at all are 'Heart' and 'From The First Hello To The Last Goodbye' - can anyone help? Thanks!
Of course I remembered Ruby yesterday on her 70th Birthday, and am only sorry she did not manage to reach her three-score-years-and-ten. However, her memory will certainly live on - more brightly than ever now that we have this superb treat from EMI!
With my kindest regards to all Ruby's friends and fans,
John Harris (Norfolk).

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

The CD you need to complete your collection, John, is titled '5 Fabulous Females' and is a compilation currently available from Vocalion. It features 4 Columbia recordings by Ruby as follows.

Softly, Softly (the 1964 re-recording issued on Columbia DB7491)
Heart (1957 DB3911)
From The First Hello (1957 DB3911)
I'll Remember Today (1957 DB4042)

The other tracks are 8 by Marion Ryan, 5 by Jean Campbell, 4 by Joan Regan, and 4 by Lita Roza (25 songs in total) and the Vocalion catalogue number is CDLK 4148. You should be able to buy the CD from branches of HMV, or order it direct by sending a cheque payable to Vocalion for £11.24 (£9.99 plus £1.25 p&p) to:

Vocalion
PO Box 609
Watford
WD18 7YA

Enjoy it.

Brian