First To Greet The New Home Page

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

First To Greet The New Home Page

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Begorra! tomorrow (March 17th)will indeed be a Great Day For The Irish. Gerald has produced another masterpiece, this time with St. Patrick in mind. Congratulations once again to him and everyone who helped him with the choice of -'songs about Ireland'.

I do hope that everyone who views the new 'home' page will appreciate all the hard work and the tremendous amount of dedication that Gerald puts into creating these technical contibutions. Thank you most sincerely Gerald.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

spudmurph

First to greet the new home page

Post by spudmurph »

I would like to add my thanks and congratulations to Gerald for the fantastic work that he has produced. The song selection is beautiful and the home page is a treat and good fun. As Bernie will be able to vouch my father used to sing all the Irish songs - he was a wonderful Irish tenor although born in England and he had the most beautiful sweet rounded voice. Ruby and he were great pals. Anyway, I will let Mum see and hear this and I am sure there will be a few tears shed. Thanks again.
Kathleen Murphy

Jk

Post by Jk »

Once again Gerald well done on a superb new home page. Like the idea of the LP covers, and the nice bright feel of the page.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Kathleen, I remember your father so well, we enjoyed many happy hours of 'crack' together. He and your 'Mum' were both in the summer season together at Bundoran with Ruby. We had lots of laughs recalling all the experiences they all had during that summer show when they were artistes, usherettes, programme sellers, raffle tickets sellers, as well as scene shifters all happily appearing together.

I have some wonderful photographs that were taken on the tour that Ruby did for Marie and Frank in Ireland. I also had some excellent cine film that I took, which unfortunately I no longer possess, taken at Ashford Castle, over looking the Lakes of Connemara. In that film you, as a small child, 'assisted' baby Julie when I was filming her and she was about to fall off her ...... Remember?

Have a great St. Patrick's Day, and give my love to your 'Mum'

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

spudmurph

Post by spudmurph »

Thanks for your message Bernie. Happy St Patrick's day to you and all Ruby's friends and fans.
Kathleen

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys and girls,

Well done to Gerald on doing such a great job on the new home page. I think I will print it off for my Ruby folder. I like the LP covers, particularly "Endearing young charms" on which I think Ruby looks especially pretty. The LPs "Spinning wheel" and "This is Ireland" are also a welcome sight to remind us of Ruby's many fine recordings from the 1960s. The shamrock wallpaper is also a very nice idea.

I wish all my friends a very happy and joyful St Patrick's Day.

Slainte

Martin. :-)

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

What a superb looking new website - congratulations Gerald - cannot imagine all the hard work and expertise that must have gone into producing it. Best wishes to all

Don.

rbl.ca

Home page

Post by rbl.ca »

Well done, Gerald.

Excellent new home page. I love the album covers, all being wonderful pictures of a very beautiful lady - our dear Ruby.

Happy St. Paddy's Day to all.
Ralph

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

I love the new home page. Gerald, your skills have really improved! The page has a very beautiful look to it.

Well done!

Warmest regards and Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!

--Tim

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well thank you everyone, you are all very kind! I enjoy working with computers, and I enjoy working on all things to do with Ruby Murray - so what better way to spend my spare time than combining both.

I guessed that a few of our regulars would spot the change fairly quickly, but it is just as nice to see that people like Kathleen and Timmer also keep an eye on what is going on. Thank you both for your kind comments.
Gerald

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Gerald Lawrence wrote:I guessed that a few of our regulars would spot the change fairly quickly, but it is just as nice to see that people like Kathleen and Timmer also keep an eye on what is going on.
It goes beyond that, too. It is a great way to generate renewed interest in Ruby and her beautiful music. I've received emails like "I never heard that song before..."

What a wonderful tribute to Ruby!

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Gerald - so whose selections most closely matched the final five ? Surely a gold star for somone?

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Regarding the songs, maybe the next set should be those which we think are amongst the rarest of those which Ruby recorded? Something to think about for next time. I am planning to update the Song List page in the not too distant future, which is why I added a link to it from the Home Page, and that might also jog a few memories or new interest when all the titles are visible without having to download a document from the Library.

Don, all the votes are visible in the other thread, so it is possible for anyone to see who might have come nearest to choosing all five (nobody did). It became clear to me that although some of the choices are lovely songs in their own right, such as "The Stone Outside Dan Murphy's Door", unless at least a few others voted for it, it would not get into the top five. I haven't thought of a way of calculating who came nearest, so may I follow your suggestion and award a Gold Star to everyone who took part? That is democracy at work!!

Thank you everyone.
Gerald