A BIG DAY

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

A BIG DAY

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

No, this is not another 'Teaser', this time I will give question and answer. Why would tomorrow have been A BIG DAY?

Answer. - it would have been our (Ruby's and mine) Golden Wedding Aniversary. - Yes it's 50 years ago since that happy day in Blackpool in 1957 - August 23rd. What a celebration there would have been.

Because we married secretly there were only 15 people present at the ceremony, including Ruby and I, all were Jones Boys and their partners and their relatives, plus Ruby's domestic helper and her husband, Renee and Wally. They secretly arranged everything for us, including the minister and the church. I often wonder who it was that leaked it to the press because after we had changed to go to the show in the evening the press were waiting for us in vast numbers.

Whilst I was in England, visiting Tim, our son, I visited the crematorium and made the grave look quite spectacular, especially for this occasion.

IF ONLY????

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

rbl.ca

50 years ago tomorrow

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, Bernie.

I would just like to tell you that Gerald & I had laid a plan to announce this special day, but I'm very happy that you beat us to it. And very nicely phrased, too.

I'm sure that all of Ruby's keener fans, and all of your friends, were anticipating some recognition of this Special Occasion.

My very best wishes.
Ralph

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well done, Bernie. As Ralph has said, you pipped us to the post!

I think that deserves a picture, so here it is:

As you say, If Only. I often think of the thrill that Ruby would have had seeing so many kind words written about her on this website - if only we all still had her with us, especially you on this special day.
Gerald

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Hi Bernie,

Thinking of you on this very special day.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Thanks fellas, this is a wonderful surprise, one which caused a little lump on the throat, a very special one.

This is the only time that the 'friends' have had a chance to see the other Jones boys. I will try to give everyone in the picture a name. From left to right - standing.
Johnnie Harrison(Jones Boy) In front and below him is Christine (John Padley's niece) Anne(John Padley's wife, now married to Ronne Corbett)
Wally Thompson(the husband of Ruby's domestic help) Molly(Johnnie Harrison's wife) Ron Robson(Jones Boy) Anne(Ron's wife) Mrs Padley(John's mum) Dot (John's sister) Claude(Dot's husband) -? Claude's sister (the one I missed out when saying there were 15 people at the ceremony) and the boy is Dot's son.

Seated - Renee (Ruby's domestic help) Me and Ruby, John Padley (my best man.

Ruby was not only the STAR in the showbusiness sense of the word but she was also the STAR of the event, she kept the laughter going throughout.

Thanks Gerald for uploading the photo and thanks to everyone for their kindness.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Hi Bernie,

I would just like to add my best wishes on this special day.

The photographs I have of myself and Ruby was taken just a week or two before your big day and your plans were obviously a well kept secret.

I still have the programme from the North Pier, Blackpool show, and it brings back many happy memories.

All good wishes,

Don.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Bernie, I would also like to add my wishes on this special day. Friday 23rd Aug 1957, I was in Blackpool that day, and also had a front seat in the theatre that night, just to the left of the mike, I always tried to get those seats whenever I came to a show. Was that the year Edna Savage was on the central Pier.

What a "party" we could have all had.
Regards
John.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Hello, Bernie!
I too had remembered Ruby's and your Golden Wedding Anniversary, and entered the date in my diary at the beginning of the year, to be sure of sending you greetings and kindest thoughts on this special day.
What a surprise - not to say shock! - I got on reading the front page headline of the Daily Mirror the following day - 'RUBY WEDS IN SECRET'! I was 14 at the time, and on holiday with my parents and sister at Gorleston-on-Sea, where I was destined to visit you and Ruby at your holiday home a few years later.
I have been listening to my favourite Ruby records this morning, specially 'Evermore', which seems so appropriate for the occasion.
I know Ruby and you would have had a wonderful celebration today, but somehow I feel she will be sharing it with you, and allowing us all to enjoy the occasion too.
Thankyou for your outstanding love and loyalty to our dear Ruby for a half a century.
With kindest regards, also to Julie and Tim - again, it was a great joy to meet you all in Belfast last year.
Yours,
John (from Norfolk).

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

FRIENDS.

It has been a wonderful experience and a great priviledge for me to be associated with this magnificent website and all the devoted fans/friends of Ruby's. As I said in my speech at the unveiling, -" it wouldn't be right for me to individualize with names but I would like to say THANK YOU to each and every one of you very kind people."

We all owe 'Timmer' a debt of gratitude - Thanks 'Timmer'

Adios Amigos. Bernie.