New Teaser

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
John Harris

New Teaser

Post by John Harris »

Which month of the year is mentioned in two of Ruby's recorded songs?

John Harris

P.S.

Post by John Harris »

Which other months are mentioned in any of Ruby's songs?

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi John,

Hope you are well. Is one of the songs "I'll remember today"? I haven't worked out which month is mentioned in two of Ruby's songs yet but I am working on it.

Martin. :)

Jk

Post by Jk »

I have been hanging back on this one, just to see if anyone else is actually playing these teaser, so I was pleased to see at least Martin keeps having ago now and then.

OK, My guess is "You Are MY First Love" Even though the November winds keep blowing.

I do wish more members would take an active part in the website, it needs to have more input, yet it is the same people like Gerald, Bernie, Martin, and Ralph, that try and keep an interest going. So come on you lot lets see a bit of input from you, even if it is on a teaser if your wrong, so what, at least you have tried, and that goes for all the "New" members that have joined, and never posted a message, I see we have another new member, but again no message, whats the point of joining.
Regards
John.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking for a month which is mentioned in TWO of Ruby's songs - please state the month, and then preferably give both titles. Then, as an afterthought, please mention any other months mentioned in any of Ruby's songs. I make it at least four more! Will say no more for the moment, but will give a clue if nobody has solved the teaser by the weekend.
Kind regards from Norfolk to one and all,
John H.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It has occurred to me that in "It's a Great Day for the Irish" Ruby sings about the wearing of the green on March 17, so March must be one of the answers - somewhere!

I have the feeling this is going to be a collective effort - we have JK's November and my March so far.
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

I had a thought last night. In "Irish Summer 63" Ruby sings about the visit of President Kennedy to Ireland, and I remembered that the song ends with recording his assassination. I also remembered that this was in November, so had a listen to the song right to the end.

Voilá! So November is the month that appears in two of Ruby's songs. I am sure this is right, John, and if it is, I will gladly share the gold star with the JK John.
Gerald

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Well done, Gerald! November is indeed the month in question (an unlikely one, when the majority of songs are about spring and summer months, September being the one which occurs most frequently, though not, I think, in any of Ruby's songs?). I didn't want to give the answer until both songs had been identified, so it is gracious of you to agree to share the Gold Star with JK!
March has also been identified as another month mentioned in one of Ruby's songs, but there are still (at least) three more, so let's see who can discover them. Will give one or more clues next week if necessary. Keep at it, everyone!
John H.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hear is another "The Humour Is On Me Now" The month May
Regards
John.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

I have slipped up, insofar as May is another month (in addition to November) which is mentioned in more than one of Ruby's songs. In fact, in two others, apart from 'The humour is on me now', although in one of them I think it is more the blossom than the month which is referred to. Which are these two extra songs? And there are STILL two more months which haven't been mentioned yet. Keep going, folks.....!
John H.

Gerald Lawrence

My memory being not as good as it used to be, I have not had any success in trying to remember which months Ruby sings about. I recently had a new mobile phone which doubles as a music player, and the first thing I did was put all of Ruby's recordings into its memory card.

So last night just before bedtime I set it to "shuffle" and started it playing. One hour later Ruby sang a song with a month in it - guess what? It was "You Are My First Love" with November!

So I am no further forward, but I did listen to some lovely songs. One of them which has really beautiful words and is sung so sincerely and clearly was "The Old Bog Road". It was so nice to discover that one again.
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

John Harris wrote:I have slipped up, insofar as May is another month (in addition to November) which is mentioned in more than one of Ruby's songs. In fact, in two others, apart from 'The humour is on me now', although in one of them I think it is more the blossom than the month which is referred to. Which are these two extra songs? And there are STILL two more months which haven't been mentioned yet. Keep going, folks.....!
John H.
My method of random searching through the songs has come up with the one which relates to the may blossom - Keep Smiling at Trouble. The words are "Be like the violets that doze, 'neath the chill winter snows, they bravely wait for the may". What a terrific rhythm Ruby has in this song, not at all like the strict tempo waltzes that we normally associate her with. And what great philosophy in the words "When you've learned that life is what you make it, then you know the secret of it all". That is really uplifting to listen to in the morning.

I should also mention the backing to this song. I don't have the original release, but it appears on the LP Your Favourite Colleen, and it says there that it was Norrie Paramor and his Orchestra. Well it sounds in fact much more like a small jazz band than a full orchestra, although the violins and choir do come in during the middle eight bars.

A great recording all round that should have gone straight to number one! Thank you John for bringing it to my attention with your teaser.
Gerald

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Well done, Gerald, and thanks for the kind comment. However, there are still two other months which come into Ruby's recorded songs which no-one has mentioned yet. Clue - one is my birthday month, which I have mentioned more than once before, for a special rerason. John H.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I am back in Spain, as of lunch time today, and trying to catch up on events.

I can remember when your birthday is John, so I know the month, now I must frantically try to recall which song it's mentioned in. To give a vague hint to other -Teaser' players, the same month is mentioned in the first line of The Jones Boys first record for Decca. It only sold four copies, one to each of us, so there are not many Ruby fans who would be able to latch on to that little hint.

I don't think I have given the game away John. I wonder how many friends have been thumbing through lists of song titles to see if they can remember whether there is a month mentioned?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

I have found another one!

"On the 4th of July 1806 we set sail from the sweet cove of Cork" and that comes in The Irish Rover.

It is good to see Bernie is also having a try - I thought I had become the only one interested in solving this puzzle.
Gerald