New Teaser

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Here is the other reference to May

"You're as welcome as the flowers in May to Dear Old Donegal"

Now the thing is, Ruby recorded this song twice, the second time at the live concert to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, so does that count as once or twice John?
Gerald

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Well done again, Gerald! The clue would have been that the month (July) comes as part of a complete date, including year.
I seem to have been caught out by my own teaser, as I hadn't thought of 'welcome as the flowers in May'. Even without the second recording of this song, which does not count as another mention, and disregarding the reference to may as a blossom, there is still another reference to May (in connection with another month - clue!) which nobody has mentioned yet. It is still my birthday month which nobody has discovered. I have mentioned before when it is, for a paticular reason, and Bernie has remembered. But which month is it, and which song does it appear in?
John H.

Jk

Help

Post by Jk »

Hello everyone, I see this teaser is still going on. I have been missing for a couple of weeks, but I need some help, I know the month, "I think" but not the song, is the month actually mentioned in the song or is it just the song that refers to that month.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

My "iPod look-alike" has come up with another reference to the month of May.

In Slieve Gallon Braes, Ruby sings "As I went a walking one morning in May, to view yon fair valleys and mountains so gay".

This is another of those soulful songs written about the people who had to leave Ireland for one reason or another to make their homes in distant lands, often America. The arrangement for Ruby by the Tilsley orchestra is once again excellent, with very gentle accompaniment allowing her to put lots of emotion into the song itself.

Interestingly, it seems as if the later name for this range of hills is Slieve Gallion, because Google came up with that as an option for me, and also when I visited Northern Ireland last year, that is what I found on my map. I am sure it is the same place, located just to the West of Lough Neagh. Google Earth will take you there, but don't zoom in too closely or you will be disappointed!
Last edited by Gerald Lawrence on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald

Jk

Song

Post by Jk »

Well done Gerald, that is another one to you. But I have never heard of the song, what album is it from, or is it a B side from a more popular song.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Thank you John. I await my gold stars with anticipation!

The song Slieve Gallon Braes is from the LP "This is Ireland" and I am certain you must have it.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

No Gerald I do not have that album, Why I do not know, I have just checked, What other songs are on it.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

The album is the one shown bottom right on the home page, and here is a list of the songs:
  • Paddy McGinty's Goat
    The Old Bog Road
    Lovely Leitrim
    Rathfriland on the Hill
    The Boys of Coleraine
    Irish Summer '63
    50 Years Ago
    Among the Wicklow Hills
    The Boys from Country Mayo
    McCarthy's Party
    Slieve Gallon Braes
    Ballyshannon
I know you already know some of these songs, but I wonder where you got them, because as far as I know, none of them ever appeared as singles. Some of them did appear on the Philips CD that is now out of publication.
Gerald

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

I am very pleased that my teaser has given the chance to so many friends to listen again to some of Ruby's recordings they had not heard for quite a time. As I admitted last week, I have more or less been beaten by my own teaser, as I firmly thought that November was the only month mentioned more than once in Ruby's songs, whereas May (a far more likely month) proves to appear no less than four times! Howerver, there is STILL one month which features clearly, but which has not been spotted yet. The song has already been mentioned, but not the month. The teaser will not have been completely solved until someone comes up with the full answer (month and song); I am surprised nobody has got it so far, but I expect someone will come up with it in the end (clue!). Keep going, friends!
John H.
P.S. Further give-away clue: the song is one which has featured in one of my previous teasers! J.

Jk

Got It

Post by Jk »

I have got the missing link, I new the month but not the song, it turns out for some reason I do not have the record, so hear goes, please don't say I am wrong after all this hard work.

For always and always
I'll remember today
How you held me and kissed me
In the tenderest way

Even though you may leave me
In my heart you will stay
Though I'm lonely tomorrow
I'll remember today

For as long as I live dear
I'll remember today
How you wispered "I love you"
In the tenderest way

Through the winds of DecemberAnd the magic of May
Through a million tomorrows
I'll remember today

I remember the music
And the welcoming skies
How the sound of your voice
Through the love in your eyes

So for always and always
I'll remember today
How you held me and kissed me
In the tenderest way
Through a million tomorrows
I'll remember today

Oh how I'll remember today
Regards
John.

John Harris

Post by John Harris »

Well done, John! December is, of course, the month I had been waiting for someone to identify. Saying that someone would guess it in the end was a clue (end of the year); also, the words 'I'll Remember Today' (one of my favourite songs, incidentally) are those I spoke to the Mayor of Belfast last year (as per one of my previous teasers), and I have mentioned before that December is my birthday month, as Ruby missed the date (16th) by only just over an hour when she so sadly died in the early hours of the next morning.
I think we can declare this teaser well and truly solved now, with congratulations and thanks to all who have taken part, and stars of varying colours duly handed out to all who have earned them. Certainly I have learned more than I expected to, as there have been various month references which I hadclearly missed!
Kindest regards to all,
John from Norfolk.