2020 - The Sapphire Anniversary Year

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Gerald Lawrence

2020 - The Sapphire Anniversary Year

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It is my understanding that the 65th Anniversary of something is recognised by Sapphire stones, which exhibit a gorgeous blue colour. So as this anniversary for the year of Ruby's triumph in March 1955 will be with us soon, I have updated the home page to include lots of sapphires. It also gives me the opportunity to present once again my design of the five hit records, together with pictures of the sheet music to represent the Famous Five Hits!

Here I will confess in public for the first time that the sheet music for Let Me Go, Lover was one I made up! This was because Ruby's picture did not appear alone on the cover of the original music, but with several other artists who had a hit with this song. It didn't seem appropriate when acknowledging her World Record to have pictures of other singers so I designed one for myself!

The records will play about 1 minute of each song when you click on them, rather than the whole duration of the song, and this is to acknowledge that they may still be in copyright. I hope all visiting this website will enjoy the Home Page.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Re: 2020 - The Sapphire Anniversary Year

Post by Graham Bunn »

The Home Page looks really nice Gerald.........Talking about a Sapphire Anniversary makes you wonder where all the years have gone.........I was 14 when I first heard Ruby sing and as you know I have been a firm fan ever since.........It's always nice to hear her recordings and I have been delighted in the recent renewed interest in the life of this lovely person.
I am not very active on the website these days but always take an interest in what is being said,we lost Ruby far too soon

Take Care
Graham.
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Hello Graham, it is good to hear from you and to know that you are still enjoying things on this website. I too wonder where the years have gone - I think we must be both celebrating a quite big birthday around this year.....I too was 14 when I first heard Ruby, and like thousands of other young men thought she was most adorable. No overdone glamour and glitz like so many female pop singers, but just good honest singing with true emotion from someone who really did look like and behave like the girl next door.

Thank you for your kind comments about the Sapphire Home Page. You may recall that it follows the style of one I did for the Diamond Anniversary year. I still enjoy myself while tinkering with the website to make it a little bit different and look refreshed for all the visitors who drop in. I think we have all come to accept that there is not going to be very much activity here nowadays - not only are we all getting older, but there is not much new to be said without being too repetitious.

Best wishes,
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Gerald. Just seen the new site it is gorgeous thank you.
I don't know if you have seen the post I did in 2008 in the Guinness Book Of Records a new update from Matthew White. See below.
Re: Guinness Book Of World Records
Quote

Post by Jk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 am

Hello to everyone. Ever since I got the certificates from Guinness world records I Have sent Matthew a Christmas message from me and all Ruby Murray fans. Matthew was extremely helpful and did a lot of work to get everything correct he put a lot of work into it. He always replies to my messages and sends all his Christmas wishes to all Ruby fans. Matthew has just sent me an update on the current records as it stands at the moment which I will post below.

Hello John,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, and I wish you, your family and friends, and Ruby Murray fans everywhere a very enjoyable and peaceful Christmas.

Ruby's world records are still going strong:

'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female)' - 5
'Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female)' - 52 weeks (3 December 1954 to 25 November 1955)

As I think I told you last Christmas, the third record, 'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles' overall, which Ruby shared with Bill Haley & his Comets, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson, was broken by Ed Sheeran's 16 Top 20 hits on 16 March 2017, but the details of Ruby's achievement remain on our database alongside the new record.

I don't know how much you follow the UK singles chart nowadays, but a ruling introduced in July 2017 to limit an act to just three hits in the Top 100 (to prevent one act monopolising the chart in the way Sheeran did on 16 March 2017), should ensure that Ruby holds on to her record for the 'Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female)' indefinitely, as it's now impossible for anyone to have more than three hits in the Top 20 - let alone the Top 100 - at the same time. That's surely worth celebrating this Christmas!

With very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2019.

Matthew

Hope you all enjoy Christmas and New Year

This Year he sent me this Jan 2020

I've just checked the Guinness World Records website and I'm pleased to inform you that Ruby Murray's two current records are still present and correct: Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles (female) and Most consecutive weeks in the UK Top 20 (female). Undoubtedly, she would still have a share in that third record, for Most simultaneous UK Top 20 singles overall, if the Official Charts Company had placed restrictions on the number of simultaneous hits allowed by one act as soon as streaming data was introduced to the UK chart, but that's all water under the bridge now. It's definitely worth keeping hold of that third certificate, though!

With very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2020.

Regards,

Matthew

Hope this help you Gerald with your records.

Best Wishes
John.
Regards
John.

hba

Post by hba »

I just like to add my thanks for the new Home Page Gerald. Your efforts on the site are most appreciated.
Henry

Gerald Lawrence

Hello John,

it is good to see you are still able to join us in posting a message - keep up the good work on your health! I am pleased you like the home page. I just wish I owned all the sapphires in the picture! But I don't mind lending them to Ruby.

It is pleasing to know that my words on the Home Page are still reflecting the situation regarding Guinness World Records. They are carefully worded to reflect the true situation in 2014 when the certificates were issued, and updated a little bit for 2020. We should all thank you again for your hard work in getting them published in the first place.

And Henry, thank you also for your kind words. I guess the next milestone home page will be in 5 years time - I will have to look it up to see what is used to celebrate that one!

*Edit - I have just checked and it is Platinum so that will be a challenge in 2025!!
Gerald

Lykes

Post by Lykes »

Time flies by so fast. Platinum anniversary will come sooner than we all think. haha