The Passing of Ruby's son Tim

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

The Passing of Ruby's son Tim

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends l have just had a long telephone call from Gerald Lawrence. Gerald, with the help of Timmer, is the man who set up the website and takes care of the day to day running of it. He pointed out that far too little detail has been mentioned about our son Tim's passing. Tim suffered a heart attack a few months ago and survived it. Sadly he had another heart attack shortly after and didn't survive it. That was in August of last year. I was unable to undertake the 418 miles return journey to Torquay to attend the service, due to my 92yrs of age and my restricted mobility. Fortunately with the help of the Crematorium's services I was given the means of watching the entire Service on my computer screen. I was most grateful for their services Due to the current restrictions the congregation were kept well apart from one another. My daughter Julie was at the service and was very tearful throughout the proceedings. Several of Tim's friends were in attendance, a few of them made their way to the lectern and spoke very touchingly about their close friendship with Tim. It was a very moving scene and one that I will never forget.

Timmer
Site Admin

Re: The Passing of Ruby's son Tim

Post by Timmer »

I had not heard of Tim's passing. Very sad. Thanks for letting us know. He was so young.

Donald Hill

Post by Donald Hill »

Burnie I am very very sorry and sad to hear this news. So young. I'm thinking of you and Julie as I am sure the rest of Ruby's fans will be.

Its hard to find the words when something like this happens and especially to someone so young. He will be with his mother now. Rest In Peace Tim.

Donald

hba

Post by hba »

Very sad news indeed. My condolences to Bernie and Julie.
Henry

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

It is indeed a sad posting about the loss of Tim. He together with Bernie and Julie have done so much to help keep alive the memories we all share of our Dear Ruby.

Some years ago, when he was a singer, he prepared a tribute show to Ruby, and Bernie and I went to the first such show on the South Coast. My wife and I went again a few weeks later to see his appearance (in Weymouth, I think it was). We met up again, first for the Brown Plaque unveiling at the Ulster Hall, and then again for the Blue Plaque unveiling. The last time I was speaking with him was May 2020 when he set up a Skype call from Lanzarote. He told me he had bought a motor cycle, and long before Covid-19 appeared he had taken it overland via France to the South of Spain, where he caught a ferry to go and visit some friends in the Canary Islands. However, he got stuck there after the pandemic occurred and wasn't able to leave until lockdowns eased in early July. He was telling me about plans he was making to try and get a visitors centre set up in Belfast as a tribute to his mother. What he was thinking was that there are still fans around who all have items of memorabilia of Ruby, but most being in the over 80s category there is nobody we can leave them to when it is our turn to pass on. To have some kind of repository where they could be stored, and if there are duplicates the best could be retained, this could become a lasting memorial to a great singer. Sadly this did not come to fruition.

I understand that he returned to the UK in July 2020 and during the fine weather was out in the garden doing some work when he suffered from his second heart attack. This proved to be more severe than his first one, and he died on July 22nd. The funeral service took place as Bernie has said on 12th August in Torquay.

When Timmer has given me access to manage the Home Page again, I will include a few words there to pay our own tribute to Tim.
Gerald

Donald Hill

Post by Donald Hill »

Very sad Gerald. There are a few of Ruby's I suspect that are under 80 but only a few. Ill do my best to keep her name known but I'm way down here in NZ.

guider

Post by guider »

I only just read about Tim's Passing , so very sorry for his Family but I am sure he will be back with his Mum now, may they both RIP
Best wishes
Betty

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I only just read about the death of Tim. What a loss! Was shocked. I think we all followed his singing career with great interest. I remember first meeting him when he was a young chap visiting Ruby during her summer stint at Skegness. She was very proud of his cricketing success. My best wishes to Bernie and Julie.
Sandy

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Here's a news report about Tim's passing.

https://www.irishnews.com/notices/lives ... c-2020327/

MellyMel

Post by MellyMel »

Firstly thank you for letting me join. I was totally devastated to read that Tim had sadly passed away, it was something I never thought I would be reading not today anyway. I remember Tim when he was a bluecoat at Pontins down in Wall Park in Devon, that is where I first met Tim all those years ago, we often had holidays at Pontins and saw Tim, I think one of the few times I last saw Tim was when he worked at Pontins Cambersands. Tim was one of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting. I was lucky enough to meet Ruby, my late father loved her music. I remember Ruby she had a lovely little home by the harbour there in Torquay. I did get to speak to Tim's nan several times on the phone as she lived in Archway, North London
(I lived in Muswell Hill) and then I had the pleasure of visiting Tim when he was staying with his cousin in Stamford Hill, North London, he asked me in made me a cup of tea and then started to strum away on one of his guitars, I could never tire of listening to him play/sing. Julie I never met you but I believe Tim said you was a hairdresser or you had your salon was so long ago I cannot quite remember sorry. I actually did Tim's laundry for him once, when he was staying with his cousin I bought it all back in bags on a bus from Stamford Hill to Muswell Hill, my late father thought I was mad but I didnt mind as I cared alot about Tim, he was a great guy. Not long after that we somehow lost touch, I was told he did go off to sing on the cruise ships whether he did or not I dont know. I really wish we hadnt lost touch. He was an amazing guy with such a wonderful singing voice. I remember him singing two of my favourites Lady and She Believes In Me by Kenny Rogers.
Sorry for the long post and so sorry Bernie you have lost Tim, I shall never forget him , he was truly an amazing guy always made me smile. RIP Tim xxx

Timmer
Site Admin

Post by Timmer »

Welcome, MellyMel. We are thrilled to have you join us. Thank you so much for the nice note and sharing your memories.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Mellymel, welcome to this website and forum from me too.

I too found Tim to be a very pleasant person to meet and speak with. The last occasion we were talking was a Skype meeting when he was marooned in Lanzarote at the start of the Covid pandemic, which was not very long before he sadly died. We discussed a project which he was trying to get started in Belfast, which was to set up a place to act as a depository for articles relating to Ruby that were no longer required, or even left in a will, by any of Ruby's fans that had nowhere else to pass them on to.

The last time we physically met was at the unveiling ceremony of the blue plaque, at which Julie was also present.

Thank you for writing about your own memories of Tim, and also mentioning that your father was a great fan of Ruby's.
Gerald